Sawmill Locations

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I found another sawmill for you, Guy. I had passed it years ago, forgot about it, then passed it again recently. Do you want me to PM the location to you or post it hear. Providing I can find it on the map.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Jeff! You can either post it or PM me. Either way is fine by me.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Have you guys noticed the steam-powered sawmill ruins just off Quaker Bridge Road? My buddies and I happened across it this past weekend. It's on the South side of the road a little over a half mile East of Quaker Bridge.

Reactions: Bogironbrewer

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did not notice that. There should be a sawmill ruin between the tracks and Quaker Bridge also but In the short amount of time I have looked for it I have not been able to find it.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Have you guys noticed the steam-powered sawmill ruins just off Quaker Bridge Road? My buddies and I happened across it this past weekend. It's on the South side of the road a little over a half mile East of Quaker Bridge.

Very cool! I will have to check that out the next time I am in that area. Is there a pit or any saw dust piles?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
drove both side countless times and have never seen it but then again it happens now and then that I will see something I missed a thousand times before.I'll have to watch next time I'm on that road.

Bogironbrewer

Sep 7, 2012
Gibby, we didn't see any saw dust piles, but there is a fair bit of leaf detritus on the site. I can't remember for certain if it was in a depression, but I want to say yes. We did find a lump of coal nearby. Does anyone have a sketch, or architectural drawing, of these steam powered saw mills? I've seen some of the pictures posted, but I'm interested in dimensions.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Gibby, we didn't see any saw dust piles, but there is a fair bit of leaf detritus on the site. I can't remember for certain if it was in a depression, but I want to say yes. We did find a lump of coal nearby. Does anyone have a sketch, or architectural drawing, of these steam powered saw mills? I've seen some of the pictures posted, but I'm interested in dimensions.

Thanks Brewer and welcome aboard!

Reactions: Bogironbrewer

Bogironbrewer

Sep 7, 2012
Two views of the aforementioned sawmill
vGwhz.jpg

zfc9s.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photo's. However, that may or may not have been steam powered. It looks like many of the currect sawmill foundations that have been found. It could easily have been gas powered.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Pinelandpaddler,

Jessica and I along with Lost Town Hunter visited your sawmill today and found that it appears someone has been clearing away the vegetation. Maybe it was you and your friends but the photo's supplied doesn't show that it was you. In any event, it was a great find at a location that both Lost Town Hunter and myself have been at a few times and never before.

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

Guy

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
Not asking for exact coords ( unless you don't mind :) but could you tell me the area this last saw mill is located?

Reactions: WaretownMike

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
Jessica had off from work today, so I took off and visited the sawmill that Wolfspider and Flash found. We actually had been there a few years ago looking for sawmill ruins and never saw it. After looking over the map they posted showing the Godfrey tract, it is pretty obvious this sawmill was not the Godfrey sawmill. It is made of stone but I believe it is a much newer vintage than the 1800s. There is evidence in the 1931 aerial it was in use to cut wood that was removed from across the river.

Jessica and I did visit the southern most corner of the Godfrey tract where it shows a sawmill, but we did not have time to fully explore the rivers edge. There are a few landings there that would have been a good location for one, but I need to fully explore it more.

Guy
I know it's been a while since we discussed this sawmill but is there any clue to who could have owned it or the area around it?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Unless by some miracle some sort of document surfaces I doubt we will ever know anything about it. During the time the Wharton heirs owned the property I am sure they allowed many individuals to cut wood and sell it with the estate making some profit from it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Gabe,

I spend quite a bit of time at work in the mornings before work and at break time reading various magazines and senior citizens magazines that my mom or wife has passed along to me. Obviously, I am not old enough to have them sent to me so I have to read those supplied by the senior citizens around me. Just saying. Anyway, because they are so enjoyable to read I go through them pretty quick. I recently took Beck's "Jersey Genesis" to work with me to fill in when my magazine supply runs low, and while coasting through Chapter 18 of Jersey Genesis I was slowed down by an interesting line in a paragraph that Beck seemingly wrote for you.

"Frank Ware's mill was one of the first that ran by STEAM. Always moving down towards the coast, it was set up on Hungry Hill, later down at the Pleasant Mills -Elwood Road, and still later over in the PENN SWAMP and along the Wading River."

IMG_2568.JPG

Guy

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Reactions: Jon Holcombe
Jul 2, 2019
Glendora New Jersey
Ive been trying to locate any of the mills that possibly could have been on Otter branch , the tributary off the northern branch of big timber creek. I heard about them reading Farr’s Watermills of Camden County. But i have yet to find any evidence of a mill being at that location

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Ive been trying to locate any of the mills that possibly could have been on Otter branch , the tributary off the northern branch of big timber creek. I heard about them reading Farr’s Watermills of Camden County. But i have yet to find any evidence of a mill being at that location
Have you checked out the historical maps on this site or on Boyds Map site?

Reactions: Boyd