Sawmill Locations

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I'll have to check out the nature center now that it's reopened. I was there a few times this year but it was always closed for the remodel.

It's a great park, the trails are excellent.

Trailwalker

Scout
Sep 5, 2023
(ex-piney) in Florida
I was really hoping that someone here could shed some light on a sawmill location question that I have. I am a transplanted former Toms River/Howell northern Piney and have always wondered about an ancient road on older Toms River maps and still existing to this date. Schenk's Mill Line Road angles northwestward off of Hooper Ave near the Oak avenue instersection by the mall and seemingly ends nowhere. I am aware that the Schenk surname dates back to Revolutionary times but I cannot find any information on this mill. The road does point in the general direction of a purported old mill site near the abandoned Abbocondo Campground site on the Toms. Every other "Schenk" rabbit hole i go down originates in the Howell/Freehold area and north of there. Any ideas?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I was really hoping that someone here could shed some light on a sawmill location question that I have. I am a transplanted former Toms River/Howell northern Piney and have always wondered about an ancient road on older Toms River maps and still existing to this date. Schenk's Mill Line Road angles northwestward off of Hooper Ave near the Oak avenue instersection by the mall and seemingly ends nowhere. I am aware that the Schenk surname dates back to Revolutionary times but I cannot find any information on this mill. The road does point in the general direction of a purported old mill site near the abandoned Abbocondo Campground site on the Toms. Every other "Schenk" rabbit hole i go down originates in the Howell/Freehold area and north of there. Any ideas?
Hello there. I'm confused by your description.

Was the campground here? https://maps.app.goo.gl/cYbt8SsF7d2jiWwE8

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
OK, I don't see Schenck's Mill Line Rd trending towards that area.

Salter' History of Monmouth and Ocean Counties describes Abraham and Paul Schenck's sawmill as being located 4 miles from the bay. Elsewhere, it mentions Schenck's Mill as being on a branch of Kettle Creek. Whether or not they are the same mill is unclear. I'll keep digging.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
OK, I don't see Schenck's Mill Line Rd trending towards that area.

Salter' History of Monmouth and Ocean Counties describes Abraham and Paul Schenck's sawmill as being located 4 miles from the bay. Elsewhere, it mentions Schenck's Mill as being on a branch of Kettle Creek. Whether or not they are the same mill is unclear. I'll keep digging.

Salter says that Schenck's Mill on a branch of Kettle Creek was formerly Ebenezer Applegate's sawmill. The mill was a bit downstream of Coward's Ford (also known as Deer Ford). Any idea where that ford was?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
OK, there appears to have been at least two locations called "Schenck's Mill". The one I've been describing was on one of the branches of
Kettle Creek (formerly, Fishing Creek). The other was about 4 miles downstream from Ridgway's Mill on the North Branch of Tom's River.