Sawmill Locations

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just checked the area out and I think your going to have to find an earlier map then anything Ben or Boyd have on site. Here is the top link on Boyds maps https://online.boydsmaps.com/#15/39.8437/-75.0547/njgin24k-x I went back on on the old maps and even the 1931 aerial and see no evidence of a mill pond.Now a saw mill wouldn't have a pond if thats what you speaking of and no evidence that would be visible from an aerial.It would have to be named on a map or evidence found on the ground.If it is a grist mill you seek I"d think you might find evidence of the old dam walking the creek. Boyds Lidar HD covers this area and I see no evidence on there pf an earthen dam either. That would be here if you havent learned to toggle the maps yet. https://online.boydsmaps.com/#16/39.8421/-75.0514/lidarHD-x Sorry i haven't been any help.I think you need older maps.

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al, I would think a smart mill owner may have a pond, why not? If you build a raceway, it would serve you well in good times and bad.
I checked the maps on the links Ben just posted and I see no signs of a pond on Otter Branch.I also see no signs of a raceway of a dam either on LIDAR.I think the mill West Jersey may be looking for may just be a sawmill.Perhpas there was cedar on Otter Brook at one time? Those maps on Cumberland County are right nice though.Just noticed an old school house I never knew about at the junction of Silver Run rd and Buckshutem.There is a bungalow there now.

Thanks for all of your help guys. I appreciate yous taking your time to help look. I tried lidar and about every historical map / satellite viewers i could come across and agree about seeing no signs of a mill race or pond. Theres 1 or two interesting spots i saw under the lidar view but think if there was any structures or man-made soil disturbances we would have definitely seen them.

Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd