Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Here's the kilns from Henry Charlton Beck's time (circa 1920-1935.) From Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey.

You can see how much has deteriorated over the years. In Beck's time the kilns all had their roofs intact, and the brick archway that frames the photograph is still standing. Keep in mind, though, that the factory had only been abandoned since 1915, meaning that the ruins were anywhere from 5-20 years old at the time this photograph was taken.

Also note that Beck totally got his wires crossed. The real Pasadena Terra Cotta Company is located up the road on private property.

beck-brooksbrae.png

Reactions: pineywoman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Yup, I have the artistic talent and mind of an 8 year old. How could you tell? Oh Teegate, that one of your name, is just hilarious. Hey, your "piney legacy" will always live on. Hahaha

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
Here's the kilns from Henry Charlton Beck's time (circa 1920-1935.) From Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey.

You can see how much has deteriorated over the years. In Beck's time the kilns all had their roofs intact, and the brick archway that frames the photograph is still standing. Keep in mind, though, that the factory had only been abandoned since 1915, meaning that the ruins were anywhere from 5-20 years old at the time this photograph was taken.

Also note that Beck totally got his wires crossed. The real Pasadena Terra Cotta Company is located up the road on private property.

View attachment 2825
So where is the Pasadena factory in reference to Brooksbrae?
My house is very close to Brooksbrae.

Supposedly it's up Pasadena Rd. going towards Whiting, located on private property very close to someone's house.

Absolutely correct, Ben. As you drive up Pasadena Road—and before you arrive at the crossing for Mount Misery Road—if you look carefully on your left across the tracks, you will see the piles of bricks from the down-draft muffle kilns that once stood there. That is the location of the terra cotta works at Pasadena.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Have you come across any photographs of the terra cotta works still standing in the course of your travels?

Unfortunately not, Ben. The kilns were round and I wish I could find photos or a plan of the production complex, but, alas, nothing has crossed my path.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

P.S. Kudos to you for desiring a higher quality of dialogue, including proper grammar and substantive research, on the forums. This is all music to my ears, as you probably know!

Reactions: pineywoman

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I first heard rumors of the place in the early eighties after my family moved into the area. My impression was that most of the guys who grew up in the area had heard of it, but few had taken the trouble to find it. Last time I was out there, perhaps four years ago, there was a lot of paintball splotching all over, but it looks much worse now.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
It is abominable to see such carelessness and becoming the "norm." The best we can do is to raise our children as respectable members of society. In a way, this damage makes a great case in terms of Harrisville being gated off. I was recently there and am deciding not to air any pictures or stories due to circumstances such as Brooksbrae. I've also seen other ruins and is for my own discretion. Hope all is well as we continue 2013. It is people like all of you, that gives me a little hope in this world. Great site, Guy and Ben. I ALWAYS promote this website.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I had a chance to look at Weird NJ tonight? They are historically inaccurate in every regard. They are looking to make a quick buck on anything. I read an article on Sea Breeze, NJ and it was quite horrid. They are talking about these folks not having indoor plumping. They haven't regard or knowledge of their history. Quite frankly it pissed me off.

Sea Breeze was well-equipped with electricity/plumbing and of every modern convenience. Storms, erosion and a extreme damage were what made people leave. I do not respect them as a website and can't believe the amount of followers they have. It seems they are hell-bent with making everything seem spooky or scary without any regards to the facts or the history.

I'm glad I never jumped on their bandwagon.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
WNJ, in my opinion, is/was a major contributor to much of the damage and vandalism in the Pinelands. Maybe not directly, but they certainly share in the responsibility of much of the damage and destruction.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I haven't picked up an issue in years. The problem seemed to be that they accepted articles and letters from anyone, with zero checking for truth or accuracy. What little value I did find in the magazine was the occasional exposure to a site new to me, even if the associated information was unreliable. I could then research and explore it the way most of us here normally do. But the magazine certainly does seem to draw attention to sites to the "wrong" crowd, bringing along the vandalism that comes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.