A Fine Time For Fine Wine

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
With Saturday being the opening day of archery season, that day is out of the question. I imagine I will be butchering by 9am Saturday. Chris

Chris, I'm studying some plants in Double Trouble State Park. Right where I head into the wetlands from the uplands a guy has a stand. At the exact (convenient) spot that I turn, he has a salt block and one of those feed blocks of corn and some kind of meal. Knowing that, are there any days that I should not have to worry about him between now and mid-October?

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Chris, I'm studying some plants in Double Trouble State Park. Right where I head into the wetlands from the uplands a guy has a stand. At the exact (convenient) spot that I turn, he has a salt block and one of those feed blocks of corn and some kind of meal. Knowing that, are there any days that I should not have to worry about him between now and mid-October?

No need to worry, Bob. That area is in DMZ 21, that zone does not open until 9/28 this year. Once the season is open on the 28th, Sundays will be your best bet. No hunting allowed in D.T.S.P. on Sundays. Only on private land and WMA's. I am starting out the season on my piece in Barnegat which is DMZ 51, one of the zones that starts early.

Chris

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
You have a tiger in your tank? :)

Does a six gallon pail of juice make six gallons of wine, or is water mixed in?

No water Bob, this is pure unpasteurized grape juice with its natural sugars and yeasts chomping at the bit. Pails are vented to allow gas escape during its refrigerated ride from CA.

6 gallons of juice will yield about 5 1/2 gallons of wine with the balance being a sludge of dead yeast cells and sugar crystals. I don't rack mine. Racking is the process of draining off the wine and removing the sludge immediately after fermentation stops. I remove the sludge at the end when I hit the bottom off the demijohn and its time to clean it. The old timers that taught me never racked either.

Here is a pic. If you listen closely you can hear the fermentation.

Attachments

• wine.jpg
    wine.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Reactions: Ben Ruset

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Well here I am again. Almost a year to the day since my 2014 post and 6 years since I started the thread.

Just put up 36 gallons of California Pinot Noir , Cab Sav, and Barbera. Doing another 12 of NY when I can get it.
Here are 2015's prices:
http://www.ginopinto.com/pdfs/2015 Retail Prices Grapes & Juice Binder.pdf
An hour and a half from truck to done !
So far, I think Turtle is the only one who took the dive and started making her own.

Reactions: oji and Spung-Man

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Seven years to the day since I started the thread.
Put up 36 gallons today and I have 12 more gallons coming on Tuesday.
Prices are holding about the same as last year.
http://ginopinto.com/pdfs/GPI 2016 FALL RETAIL GRAPE & JUICE PRICES.pdf
Go get it !

One change was a new juice label at Gino's this year, Smiling Baby. The baby's name is Frankie Boy. I really liked the buckets. My Cabernet and Muscat this time were labelled Smiling Baby.

I think it is subliminal advertising. After a few glasses of my wine you will very much resemble a smiling baby and have a similar aptitude !
2016wineIMG_2488.JPG

Reactions: Hewey and Teegate

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I'm going to be closing on a house soon and I think I'm going to follow in your footsteps. I'll probably make it on a much smaller scale, though. :)

I can't do anything small. Especially when it comes to alcoholic beverages. :)

Honestly Ben, we enjoy sharing a lot with friends, hunting buddies and family throughout the late fall and winter. 42 or 48 gallons goes more quickly than one would think. It does, however, seem that most of those friends, hunting buddies and family have a hollow leg. :p

Sadly, I always have to get rid of a few gallons in the spring because I don't add sulfites.
When the weather turns warmer, I am screwed.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Wow. I skipped my 2018 post.
Oh well, here is the start of the 2019 Wine Season. 24 gallons of Barbera and 12 of Red Zinfandel. I may hunt down 12 of concord from my NY guy in a few weeks.
Let the follies begin !! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bobpbx

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Let the follies begin !! :)

Our next door neighbor has started his. He is close to being full commercial. The garage is now his 'squeeze' room with piping going to his basement where the rest of the stuff is. He has some sort of club where the members share expenses, show up and help. When they clean up the street runs red :eek: