Dennis?

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Willy,

It is likely the settlement of Jack Pudding, about where the Liepe Farm is today in Germania, and is probably named for the Dennis family that lived there. The settlement is on an perplexing trail, a southern equivalent to Old Forks Road, both of which might have been later replaced (c.1790s?) by the straighter Old Egg Harbor Road (~White Horse Pike). The Dennis road appears to be the same one that is called Gloucester Road connecting the c. 1737 Belangee Place near Makepeace and the Sailor Boy Tavern by Woodland. That is my working hypothesis.

That map is also the only one that shows Berrys, a charcoal station, due-west to Dennis, and on a road going to the Forks.

Happy hunting!

S-M

Last edited:

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Well, buy me a drink at the Jack Puddin'; West Jersey Bob might just be right! He's been trying to document a tavern there for some time. Jeseryman, I do hope you can find a tavern record. Would that icon use hold true for Berrys and Smiths on Weymouth Road (New Kuban) too?

S-M

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
This is very interesting news, Jerseyman. Smiths is the old Bushy Place (aka Vanamans), where the original Methodist meeting was held prior to Friendship Church's construction. Maybe Methodists were less sober than I thought, with watering holes flanking either side! When did temperance really take hold in Methodism?

Would Watson have charged a subscription for name placement on his maps? Locally he misses taverns I know that are in extant – Pennypot, Doughtys, Blue Bell, Coneys, and Downs (Adams) for instance.

I guess it is hard to know just where a charcoal station (a.k.a. store, livery, gas station) ends and a tavern begins. A Vanaman at Thick n' Hole by the Oasis spung (New Italy) is on the same Blue Anchor or Mattox road as Smiths (a.k.a. Vanamans). Another Vanaman had a store in Pancoast Mill (Champions on Watson map). There is a similar charcoal station dynamic with the Smith and Campbell families.
Screen shot 2015-12-09 at 2.07.33 PM.png
Maybe the story goes something like this. Smiths (=Vanamans) and Berrys (=Scotts) are gas stations where you could also buy a pint of poison, as is John Campbells cabin (another station on an eighteenth century Woodbury Road alignment, note on Watson how roads converge here). While the nineteenth century Berrys camp center has moved to be on the Weymouth tract line, the eighteenth century Scotts Place as shown old deeds was west of the curve. Each early station is on a spung at the head of a branch, which were used as watering holes.

S-M

Reactions: Menantico

willy

Scout
Jul 16, 2014
galloway nj
Willy:

If you enlarge the Watson map, you will see the icon for a tavern adjacent to the label "Dennis." While I do not have a copy of the tavern license for this tavern in my files, a trip to the Gloucester County Historical Society will provide you with the information you seek.

Best regards,
Jerseyman
As always THANK YOU!
Willy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
As a side note I regularly use Weymouth road to get to the Barrens and the other day I noticed a green sign as I went to make my right off of 54 onto Weymouth that said Settlement of New Kuban.I wondered what that was? I had seen the old church many times but did not know what it was and why it looked so syrange .This thread reminded me of it and I did a little youtubing and found this.
and this
I like that little bit of hitory about the Cossacks coming to the defense of Greece against the Turks. I see a possible reenactment of that in the not to distant future.

Reactions: Spung-Man
As a side note I regularly use Weymouth road to get to the Barrens and the other day I noticed a green sign as I went to make my right off of 54 onto Weymouth that said Settlement of New Kuban.I wondered what that was? I had seen the old church many times but did not know what it was and why it looked so syrange .This thread reminded me of it and I did a little youtubing and found this.
and this
I like that little bit of hitory about the Cossacks coming to the defense of Greece against the Turks. I see a possible reenactment of that in the not to distant future.

Al,
New Kuban is a village that was settled by mostly Russians from the Don Region (think far eastern Ukraine and areas north of the Caucasus Mts.). When my dad first came to America, that's where he stayed for about a year. Needless to say it far from his expectations of what America was supposed to be like. He actually helped build some homes in the area, one of which burned down a couple years ago and young man passed away. My cousin lived on Tereck Rd. and there was an interesting church back there as well which included an elderly, usually drunk, bearded Russian who was a defacto priest. Think Rasputin but not as egregious. There's been a bunch of threads here that have discussed New Kuban and I'm positive Spung Man spoke about it at length under the post-title "Preserving Cossack History in Buena Vista Township."

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Here's another little-known tidbit on the New Kuban Cossacks. As I understand they were charged with watching after the Kalmyks, who were to emigrate to Buena as well but soon relocated to Medford and Howell. It is unclear if the Kalmyks spent much time in Buena. Here's an article about that community by my my old professor back at Rutgers:

About that earlier post, "Preserving Cossack History in Buena Vista Township," I have an update:

I said, "New Kuban is the last in a long line of Eastern European colonies in the Pines. Russians (Russians/Ukrainians/White Russians) organized Pinelands settlements as early as 1883, starting with the Burbridge Colony in Estell Manor." We now have evidence that Burbridge probably began a year earlier in 1882 making it just about coeval with Alliance.

S-M

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al,
New Kuban is a village that was settled by mostly Russians from the Don Region (think far eastern Ukraine and areas north of the Caucasus Mts.). When my dad first came to America, that's where he stayed for about a year. Needless to say it far from his expectations of what America was supposed to be like. He actually helped build some homes in the area, one of which burned down a couple years ago and young man passed away. My cousin lived on Tereck Rd. and there was an interesting church back there as well which included an elderly, usually drunk, bearded Russian who was a defacto priest. Think Rasputin but not as egregious. There's been a bunch of threads here that have discussed New Kuban and I'm positive Spung Man spoke about it at length under the post-title "Preserving Cossack History in Buena Vista Township."
I didn't know who Rasputin was so I did what everyone does.I Googled him.He looks like a couple of my Sparks kin with longer hair.Even has the same wild look in his eye.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
When my dad first came to America, that's where he stayed for about a year...He actually helped build some homes in the area, one of which burned down a couple years ago and young man passed away.

Menantico, New Kuban has an interesting vernacular architecture that hearkens back to the old country. Here are photos taken just before my daughter's prom (April 30, 2010), where she is standing by the house that burned down. I knew it well.

IMG_1190.jpg
IMG_1203.jpg

S-M

Willy,

It is likely the settlement of Jack Pudding, about where the Liepe Farm is today in Germania, and is probably named for the Dennis family that lived there. The settlement is on an perplexing trail, a southern equivalent to Old Forks Road, both of which might have been later replaced (c.1790s?) by the straighter Old Egg Harbor Road (~White Horse Pike). The Dennis road appears to be the same one that is called Gloucester Road connecting the c. 1737 Belangee Place near Makepeace and the Sailor Boy Tavern by Woodland. That is my working hypothesis.

That map is also the only one that shows Berrys, a charcoal station, due-west to Dennis, and on a road going to the Forks.

Happy hunting!

S-M
I was recently looking at the Jack Pudding Branch on a map and noticed not too far away the "Man Killer Branch," which flows into Babcock Creek just north of the confluence of Jack Pudding and Babcock. Any idea where this toponym came from?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Last edited:

Shamongoloid

Mar 29, 2021
Shamong
I was recently looking at the Jack Pudding Branch on a map and noticed not too far away the "Man Killer Branch," which flows into Babcock Creek just north of the confluence of Jack Pudding and Babcock. Any idea where this toponym came from?
Possibly after: https://boydsmaps.com/#16.00/39.392670/-74.434968/hereHybrid/0.00/0.00 , and the surrounding waters of Mankiller Bay.

I believe the legend is a ship ran aground there early 19th century and the sailors froze to death.

Reactions: Menantico and Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I've done some plant surveys here in between Mankiller and Jack Pudding Branch recently and up by Drosera street (arrow). Always felt a little uncomfortable next to that branch. That area is dark, sober, and brooding.

1704200878177.png

Reactions: Boyd