Colliers Mills Being Heavily Abused by ORV's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

Scout
Jul 30, 2015
Folsom
So what you saying Jason is that we should just forget about enforcement and close down the forest.
But ocording to you own logic that would not work because people would still drive back there anyway.
So we just give up and you stop bitching right.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
You say this isn't continuing to happen and at the same time you say you are witness to multiple violations? Some tickets are issued, and the problem just continues. I spoke with one Conservation Officer about hidden lakes, and his quote was striking. Last summer they issued over 170 tickets at that one location and the riders just keep coming back. They just view a once in a blue moon fine as the price of admission. We need to do more than just issue tickets(pun intended).

How much are the fines?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I spoke with one Conservation Officer about hidden lakes

There was just one conservation officer on duty at one time for all of Burlington county until just a few months ago. Now there are just two. I don't see how the two of them can be effective considering the size of the county and their priority of duties.

Hang a camera, work with LEO and stick your neck out like many of us here do all of the time when problems need to be solved.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
So this video doesn't mention where it was taken, nor are there any other videos on this person's Youtube channel that show any sort of four wheeling. So we don't know if it's in Colliers Mills, private property, or even in the Pine Barrens itself.

I'm not excusing what this driver did, but he wasn't excessively spinning his tires much. I know the damage is cumulative, but consider this video:

and tell me the difference between the two.

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
So this video doesn't mention where it was taken, nor are there any other videos on this person's Youtube channel that show any sort of four wheeling. So we don't know if it's in Colliers Mills, private property, or even in the Pine Barrens itself.

I'm not excusing what this driver did, but he wasn't excessively spinning his tires much. I know the damage is cumulative, but consider this video:

and tell me the difference between the two.

It was Colliers. The difference is clear and distinct, Al is using a legal motorized route while the driver in the Colliers Mills is simply adding the erosion of that once beautiful hill.

Gabe, the fines minimum for illegal ORV use has been $250 since 2011, the officer could have also charged restoration fees, but I am unaware if has ever happened.

46er, you can still report a crime that has been videotaped, but you do not become an eyewitness by watching a video.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
46er, you can still report a crime that has been videotaped, but you do not become an eyewitness by watching a video.

I was referring to filing a summons against the violator; much more effective than just reporting. You do not become anything but an observer by watching a video. Please post your experience when you file your first summons.

You are aware you can also file a summons against them; just need the plate number, a call to regional LE and a little time. To help you along, here is the number for that region; Central Region Office, Law Enforcement - 609-259-2120

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
How's the weather up there on your high horse?

I've spent plenty of time exploring Colliers Mills. This video may or may not be from there but what I will say is "It's Colliers because I said so" doesn't hold much water, especially given your track record of lying and misrepresenting places online. "Vernal pool" anyone?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Last edited:
Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
How's the weather up there on your high horse?

I've spent plenty of time exploring Colliers Mills. This video may or may not be from there but what I will say is "It's Colliers because I said so" doesn't hold much water, especially given your track record of lying and misrepresenting places online. "Vernal pool" anyone?

Ben, please do not lie about me. There was a discussion on this board about appropriate habitat labels(vernal pool versus intermittent pond). You should be more positive and try not to spread rumors. The constant ad hominem "attack the messenger" tactics you use does not do this discussion any service.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Ben, please do not lie about me. There was a discussion on this board about appropriate habitat labels(vernal pool versus intermittent pond). You should be more positive and try not to spread rumors. The constant ad hominem "attack the messenger" tactics you use does not do this discussion any service.

Dude - are you for real?? You want to talk about "sorry" or something that "does not do this discussion any service" -you are up at 2:30 am searching the Internet so you can troll a thread on a discussion forum. You seem to be absolutely delusional.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Jason, regarding Colliers Mill I am unfamiliar. If you know this area so well please give a little more information. Are those established roads? Simply trolling for a reaction does not help any ones cause. You have been far from honest in the last year so you should expect the reception you are receiving. As far as the second video if you didn't personally know the driver it would be displayed in your collection of abuse to the pines. In both videos I see people using established roads. I'm am doing my best to support the DEPs current plan and help reduce the abuse.

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
In both videos I see people using established roads. I'm am doing my best to support the DEPs current plan and help reduce the abuse.

There is no plan for Colliers at the moment, its being left to fend for itself. I agree, the trolling needs to stop, ad hominems and rumors do not have any benefit and only take away from the credibility of the person who uses them. Let's keep it informative.

Does this fit your definition of an established road?

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
From NYC Jeep Club forum

"
Biglen718

Wheeling at Colliers Mills this Sunday
« Reply #-1 on: April 08, 2016, 05:06:23 AM »

If anyone is interested in joining some of the Staten Island 4wd club and Jeepers Creepers of NJ are going to Colliers Mills in Jackson NJ this Sunday to get a little dirty. They have some easy trails as well as some great hill climbs and some more advance stuff. Great opportunity if you have a new rig and want to test its ability aswell as your own before going to more complicated trails. We will be leaving from the south shore of SI in the mid morning and meeting the Jersey guys in Edison before we all head out together to Jackson. Post here if your interested or want more info "

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
There is no plan for Colliers at the moment, its being left to fend for itself. I agree, the trolling needs to stop, ad hominems and rumors do not have any benefit and only take away from the credibility of the person who uses them. Let's keep it informative.

Does this fit your definition of an established road?
I would defer to F&W on whether the road is legal or not. I had posted contact info on how to reach F&W directly and other posters have also added details as well regarding filing legal action against lawbreakers. If its a lack of enforcement issue then that needs to be brought up with our State legislators to allocate additional funding and resources. As private citizens we can offer support for volunteer work, report lawbreakers, and advocate via the legislature for additional funding. Raising awareness of possible destruction is a good thing but from a solutions oriented perspective that is only step 1 in helping to influence the State to enforce the laws already on the books. From a more proactive perspective I would find out who is the Commanding Officer for that area and interface directly with that person on your concerns as well as offering solutions to help. As it is a WMA, partnering with local hunting and fishing clubs would also be helpful for a better understanding of there thoughts regarding any damage, roads used for hunting/fishing, etc.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Now it make sense, Jason is some sort of self appointed security monitor, just like THIS guy in the lifelock commercial.

Thank you for your service Jason, you are a true American hero!

Status
Not open for further replies.