Pine Barren Flora

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Here is my most puzzling orchid problem. I found this orchid deep in the pine plains 3 years ago. The name of this orchid is Platanthera X bicolor. It is supposedly a hybrid between a white fringed orchid (Platanthera blephariglottis) and a yellow fringed orchid (Platanthera ciliaris), and very rare. But, I've never seen a Platanthera ciliaris in the pine barrens. There was a small population along Pasadena road in the 1970's, but I think it was there only by accident. The road department subsequently mowed it out of existence.

So, where does that lead us. Could spores have drifted here from the nearest know location for yellow fringed (I think Tuckahoe river)? I doubt that. Also, I did not find any white fringed in this same area of the pine plains. I'm not saying it's not there, but I gave a thorough search in the vicinity. Could it have been a hybrid involving a white fringed and yellow crested (Platanthera cristata), which is in the area? What about the bog form? It's a puzzle for sure.

upload_2017-8-5_14-32-42.png

Reactions: 92 Blazer Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Too many questions and not enough answers. We want answers Bob!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Have waded up the Tuckahoe River many times.never seen any yellow fringe but it is a gorgeous trip

You only have about a two week window to see them so if you did not go during those weeks you may have missed them.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I did a trip with the Philadelphia Botanical Club yesterday and we crossed paths with the group that did the flagging. They put them out before the trip and removed them as they left yesterday.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I did a trip with the Philadelphia Botanical Club yesterday and we crossed paths with the group that did the flagging. They put them out before the trip and removed them as they left yesterday.

How was Ted's trip? See anything new?

What was the flagging all about?

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Bob. I found a large moth in my backyard this morning. That took me back to the picture of the caterpillar you had posted. With a little search on the net, that caterpillar appears to be Cecropia hyalophora a member of the family Saturnidae, the giant silk moths. What I saw was Antheraea Polyphemus, a member of the same family as Cecropia. They do not harm any vegetation as they don't eat and only live for about a week. But they do find time to mate during their short life.

IMG_3517.JPG

IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_3523.JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks Ron, interesting! I love the color of that moth, and the markings. The orange-rusty-rootbeer colors go well with the black and cream.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
How was Ted's trip? See anything new?

What was the flagging all about?
Nice trip, pretty much the same things. A lot of Platanthera clavellata. The flags were from a field trip given by Mt.Cuba. They must have had limited time so someone went out the day before and scouted.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Sorry to hear you have been sick. It is good news you are getting well. Seems like your family has had a rough time recently.
Yes, I guess it's been our turn in the barrel. I'm feeling great now, just need a bit more time to build up my strength. I've taken a few short hikes. I'm really looking forward to the fall.

Reactions: Teegate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Before we get far into the new year, here are some photos from the second half of the 2017 exploring season. I covered a lot of ground, mainly on the West Wading river, with some excursions on the upper Oswego, Penn State Forest, and Hampton Furnace area. I'm really looking forward to the 2018 season.

asnice.JPG
foxt.JPG
grass.JPG
mazus.JPG
pad.JPG
pul.JPG
rsh.JPG
sec.JPG