Amazon - Impact

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
This is a longshot in my opinion but I wonder what the impact would be on the pines and area in general if amzn chose Philly as its 2nd HQ city. I truely dont think Philly will be chosen because of its awful road system and so so public transportation solutions. Also I think philly’s blue collar culture doesnt blend well with AMZN culture. However if they did I wonder what impact it would have. My sister lives outside Seatle and the impact on real estate costs is immense. I wonder how much development would take over areas within a hour ride of city. Amazon is a force and a crippling effect on businesses. Its my opinion that these large tech companies will continue to grow in power as the cannabilize and disrupt business. While i selfishly want them to move to improve philly as a city and my personal real estate, i fear greatly the impact on open space and the pines.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Amazon gives outstanding service at a good price. If other retailers want to step up maybe they will survive.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
I was in Seattle in October and the folks there said that their local culture couldn't handle the jobs that Amazon had to offer, so many people from outside the area came to Seattle. This also happened with Microsoft and Boeing. It is a zoo out there. The price of everything is out of site, and the traffic problems look like North Jersey. Of course it will impact the pines, housing will increase in the surrounding counties.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A local gas station/convenience store has a BIG, yellow box with a monitor on it and Amazon signage sitting outside next to the store entrance. I have never seen anyone use or try to use it. Have no idea what it is used for.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Is it an Amazon locker?

Put in my zip at the link you provided and that's what it is, located at that gas station. All the lockers around me(3) are at Speedway stations.

I saw on the news amazon opened a supermarket with no checkout. More people out of work.

Last edited:

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
I seen that 50,000 jobs tossed around when the thread started and i was googling but found it odd considering current HQ employs (only) 40,000...

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
When these guys throw around numbers like that, it is usually based on some "analysis" that includes more waiters at the local restaurant to feed their hungry employees, more UPS guys to deliver their packages, more real estate agents to sell them homes, etc. ;)

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Well, I guess they won't be supermarket checkout clerks.

Maybe they will open a new career path; supermarket baggers. ;)

Sad for employees but this is the future. You see it now in places like Home Depot, the self-checkout.
You pay and bag. I hear Aldi's supermarket is similar. The checkouts are few and they sit, just pass your purchase over the scanner You have to supply your own bags and do the bagging.
Aren't there smartphone apps that scan your purchase and as you walk by the register scan the phone again and the purchase is recorded and billed to you? Seen the commercials on TV a while ago. Good for convenience stores during the morning rush.

I always use a cashier as I feel I'm providing work for somebody. I wait in line at Home Depot, then an associate comes over and suggests they'll help me with self-checkout. There is always 1 and sometimes 2 associates that stand there just to help at self-checkout if necessary.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Different how?
It's been coming down to this for years and Amazon is the first to go full out.
Let's face it, the only reason cashiers exist is to keep us honest by visually inspecting everything and scanning. Some bag but many depend on you to bag or at least help. You scan your own credit or debit card then the register finishes and coupons and a receipt come out and your off. If you pay cash, well the self-service takes cash and makes change. Cashiers are a bottle neck and create waiting lines. While I'm all for keeping jobs I can vision the future. I have no problem and in fact would welcome bagging my items as I walk the isles and then just walk out the door. How silly it is walking the isles filling a shopping basket, then taking everything out onto a conveyor belt, have a person handle them, then bag then you replace in the cart again. Unnecessary handling and wasted effort when you come right down to it. Like it or not a cashiers position will be something future generations will only read about in history books.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Different how?
It's been coming down to this for years and Amazon is the first to go full out.
Let's face it, the only reason cashiers exist is to keep us honest by visually inspecting everything and scanning. Some bag but many depend on you to bag or at least help. You scan your own credit or debit card then the register finishes and coupons and a receipt come out and your off. If you pay cash, well the self-service takes cash and makes change. Cashiers are a bottle neck and create waiting lines. While I'm all for keeping jobs I can vision the future. I have no problem and in fact would welcome bagging my items as I walk the isles and then just walk out the door. How silly it is walking the isles filling a shopping basket, then taking everything out onto a conveyor belt, have a person handle them, then bag then you replace in the cart again. Unnecessary handling and wasted effort when you come right down to it. Like it or not a cashiers position will be something future generations will only read about in history books.

Cashiers are a thing of the past now, been to a Wal Mart lately? 20 empty cashier lines and about 40 customers waiting in a line to self checkout to bag, scan, and coupon all by themselves.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Different how?

Amazon's system is far more high tech than Home Depot or the other self-checkout stores. It took Amazon 5 years of testing as an employee only store before committing to the one store. Kids do the darndest things. The link describes it.