It's Still There

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Al,

I think the bridge at Pleasant Mills was actually closed because of safety reason.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Thanks for the detailed info, Guy and Al. I forgot to mention we used Scott's pinned maps (above) to guide us.

We actually drove to the bog, and parked here, clearing a lot of trees and branches along the way:
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.66085613243499&lng=-74.7015067460402&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

We then walked to the Nescochague, to the ruins of an old bridge. This is apparently where Guy said the wooden plank used to be, and this is where we turned back. The creek must be about 20 ft. wide though, so that must have been some wooden plank. Maybe it was nailed to the old bridge pilings, or maybe it was not exactly where the bridge was.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.663574738016784&lng=-74.69720799129487&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

The Nescochague was relatively fast and deep. I do not know if it would be wadable even later in the year. I tried to get down Rockwood Rd. last week and turned around. The puddles were big and trees were all over the road. And since West Mill Road is closed it looks like the best option would be to hoof it 8.5 miles up Pleasant Mills Rd from the church if we want to find the Swamp Monster.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been trying to find my photo of the plank but have not as of yet.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Might be worth it to get together some interested folks and build a small footbrige across there since that is apparently the only ay to get anywhere near this area with a vehicle for the forseeable future.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here it is without the plank. You can see it in the water on the other side. When we were on a hike Scott's son Mike walked across it holding 24 bottles of water on his head without wavering a bit.

IMG_3657a.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I imagine there might be a conflict with canoers who object to a lift over.They may trash any bridge low enough to obstruct their progress. Maybe find two trees opposite each other and make a rope bridge with a higher rope to hold onto.Get it up above the canoers?

Reactions: bobpbx

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Might be worth it to get together some interested folks and build a small footbrige across there since that is apparently the only ay to get anywhere near this area with a vehicle for the forseeable future.
My hand is up if you are looking for bodies to help, but I am a relatively unskilled weekend warrior when it comes to building. Give me a list of wood (or rope), screws and nails, and I'll pitch in.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Might be something as simple as knocking over a dead but sound cedar and lashing it between two trees across the creek and then running a rope across higher up for a hand rail.have to find a suitable spot though.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It would be interesting to know if the state is still fighting that. There is a chance they may not be anymore.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thats what I heard but i heard the reason it was never repaired was because of incessant whining about the truck noises during church

I met that woman once, and we talked. The conversation somehow got around to her seeing a bearded ruffian wearing camouflage pants. Sounded like she was describing you. Said she'd smack you right in the face if you came near her church. Her face was all red when she said it, and her voice was all screechy-like. When she turned her head and peered into the woods like she expected you to be hunkered down watching her, I tip-toed back to my car.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I met that woman once, and we talked. The conversation somehow got around to her seeing a bearded ruffian wearing camouflage pants. Sounded like she was describing you. Said she'd smack you right in the face if you came near her church. Her face was all red when she said it, and her voice was all screechy-like. When she turned her head and peered into the woods like she expected you to be hunkered down watching her, I tip-toed back to my car.
I talked to the woman 21 years ago.Me and Momma wanted to git married and we wanted to git married on the banks of the Nescohague about a quarter mile behind the church.First road to the left past the now closed bridge.We were happy with any where in the barrens but we wanted my Uncle who was a preacher to marry us and he had to have road access because his health was not very good.This was early 98.When i asked Him he said he was so bad He could not do the wedding so we called that church since it was right there to see about that preacher doing the wedding.Thats when i found out it was a woman.She was happy to do the wedding till she found out we were both divorced.She then wanted us to come to marriage counseling.For what I know not? Momma was divorced because her husband was a drunk who would not work.My ex like to share what was mine when my back was turned if you know what i mean so as far as i was concerned neither of us needed any counseling when we weren't the problem.. In any case that was the end of my dealings with her.My uncle got a reprieve but could not travel far so we ended up getting married in Richland Fire Hall. He died 14 months later. He knew me and my wife since childhood.(He was actually an adopted uncle who knew me since age 8) even though me and Momma never met till our early 30's.We went to school together and our families knew each other and she was friends with my cousins.We were bot head strong younguns and probably would have had at least one cage match a week.Old age mellowed us a little and we're quite happy now.We both got married the first time when we were 17. That works occasionally but in this day and age it doesn't work very often.I"m glad the woman whom proposed to counsel me chose to do that.I promptly turned her down and my uncle got to do it Who knew both our histories and had no problem with it.Divorce isn't the way it should be but occasionally it's just the way it is.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes it is Bob. Bloody Bridge as Scott mentions. I can't find my photo's of it with the planks.

Notice me sliding the water across. Scott's son walked across it as fast as he would walk normally and I struggled to keep my balance.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
There is always oxygen and propane.....Who said that?
Well, that's not unheard of. Just make certain the State, township, etc. whoever owns or has rights to the road still owns it and has not abandoned it. Haines and DeMarco for example have blocked off roads but did so legally by applying to the proper authorities, then that section of road was abandoned to them. If a person can illegally close a road it's legal for someone else to open it.