"Wild and windswept plains that only the Jersey 'Pineys' know"

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I read this almost fifty years ago, October 1969, and I was intrigued, and then i drove my VW down from Manhattan to see it for myself.

Attachments

• NJ Pine Barrens _Wild and Windswept Plains_ 1969-1.pdf
    866.4 KB · Views: 339
Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
If my posting this violates the "important rule for this forum" please delete it (tho the team of Philadelphia lawyers that i keep on retainer said it's OK...but I don't trust them).

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice article. They do have one error. The plains are also east of route 539, and they extend all the way to route 72 towards the East and the Parkway East by SE.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
If my posting this violates the "important rule for this forum" please delete it

IMO, it is a violation of forum policy. It is clearly a copyrighted article from the NYT website. If you had scanned your own yellowed copy of a vintage article, then perhaps you could argue that it would be OK. I know this can be frustrating, there have been a number of times that I wished I could share things from old publications myself.

But this isn't some academic issue about what should be allowed in the forums. Ben actually had to hire a lawyer to defend himself when someone posted an entire article from an old newspaper, and in that case the newspaper was no longer in business but another company owned the content.

I have asked Ben to check this out, so let's see what he says.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
It's a big grey area. It would fly under the "fair use" doctrine of copyright law because this is an educational website (as was the last one) but yeah, I had to pay an attorney to make the problem go away.

I'll let it fly but in the future if anybody wants to post something that's in copyright please reach out to myself, Teegate, or Boyd before you do.

Reactions: Pan and Boyd

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Just delete this thread, or the attachment, if it might be a problem. I don't have a paper copy. As i recall i once paid them to download the online article. Doesn't that give me some ownership rights to it? Anyway, that article was what first made me fall in love with the Pine Barrens*. I had never heard about it before even tho I'd been to Atlantic City and other parts of the Jersey Shore and NJ many times.

* My 1999 review of John McPhee's book on Amazon:

A wonderful book
November 9, 1999
Format: Hardcover
I live out west now. I just returned to the east for a visit. I drove down to the NJ Pine Barrens and I camped out one night in the Plains (the dwarf forest), no doubt in violation of millions of New Jersey rules and regulations. The benign peacefulness of the place, the smell of the pines, the sound of the wind, all swept over me. I used to live in Manhattan. I'd often make the 2 1/2 or 3 hour drive to hike and canoe and camp in the Barrens. I love that magical forest, the dark bogs, the open plains, the pure rivers, the endless sandy roads. John McPhee's book truly captures the atmosphere of this very special place in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Just delete this thread if it might be a problem.

Since it's OK with Ben, it's OK with me. :)

As i recall i once paid them to download the online article. Doesn't that give me some ownership rights to it?

Oh, I don't think it works like that...

https://help.nytimes.com/hc/en-us/articles/115014893428-Terms-of-service
"You may not modify, publish, transmit, participate in the transfer or sale of, reproduce (except as provided in Section 2.3 of these Terms of Service), create new works from, distribute, perform, display (including framing and inline linking), communicate to the public or in any way exploit, any of the Content (or its Arrangement) or the Services (including Software) in whole or in part."

https://help.nytimes.com/hc/en-us/articles/115014891408-Obtaining-and-using-Times-content

"The following list summarizes common requests for permission:

• In most contexts, rights to use article text only (without photographs, graphics, etc.) can be obtained instantly by clicking the Reprints link that appears on most article pages on NYTimes.com.
  • Corporate photocopying and the use of Times content in academic course packs and other classroom contexts are handled by the Copyright Clearance Center, www.copyright.com.
  • To use article text with accompanying photos or graphic elements (charts, maps, etc.), complete the permission request form or contact PARS International at 212-221-9595, extension 210."