Bears

I would guess the 'attack' would be similar for any bear, just more violent with some, but the area in the article has specific procedures in place for the aftermath.

https://billingsgazette.com/news/st...osk3RPfotWKx3HyS2ajFKnKYrXNpzejSABfcIZ9wWArkE

What's most interesting here is the detailed info on bacterial contamination and treatment of bite wounds, the medical protocol specific for grizzly attacks. The victim and others interviewed are matter of fact about risks inherent in that area.

Also note that the hunter startled the bear; I've read that hikers will attach bells to their packs to make noise to warn bears away. Maybe a seasonal thing? Bears wake from hibernation hungry: might the pack bells sound like lunch bell?!

Go read a really good novelist named Nick Petrie. In the first 24 pages of his 2nd book "Burning Bright", his character encounters a brown bear. Hilarious and may be fact based. (I want a big dog like the one he extracts from under a friends porch in his first book "The Drifter".)
I'm not quoting the writing that is laugh-out-loud good because it's 1) copywrighted 2) you shoud go read him yourself. Also anything by Dana Stabenow about these bears in Alaska. She was born/raised there.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm confused---- are these both black bear species?

Both are Ursus americanus; momma is referred to as a Cinamon, but she also may have dyed her hair to be trendy.

A picture of both colors grazing in YNP many years ago.

77453984.jpg

Both are Ursus americanus; momma is referred to as a Cinamon, but she also may have dyed her hair to be trendy.

A picture of both colors grazing in YNP many years ago.

77453984.jpg

Thanks again. Interesting to see different "black bear" color phases. More than one coloration increases survivability in different environments. See this in raptors too.
Would we likely see a Marilyn Monroe blonde bear closer to New York?!

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
An older gent in NH fed a bear sow maple glazed doughnuts. He died, the bear kept looking for doughnuts. An interesting but ultimately frustrating story of how people think some wild animals are cute.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/15/7234...track-black-bears-journey-home-to-hanover-n-h

There is a person in my sub-division that has wooden troughs in his backyard that he kept filled with food for deer. I would run by his house and see up to 10 or 12 deer at a time. Deer have been eating my broadleaf Rhododendron (which they had never eaten before) for a few years now. Forget about holly, azaleas, even hemlock. They mow down everything. Human attitude towards nature is whacked.

Last edited:
T

Toothy Critter

Deer and,or rabbits destroy my plants. I used Deer Out one year and it seemed to work well, so I made my own concoction of peppermint oil, garlic oil, soap detergent and vegetable oil as a cheaper replacement... so far so good. Spray it all over your plants and yard, may discourage your dumb neighbors "pets"

Reactions: Jon Holcombe