New Garmin GPSMAP 66i

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That's interesting, appears to be the beginning of merging Garmin's handheld devices with the inReach technology from their purchase of DeLorme. Also signals another move away from Basecamp, which Garmin discontinued a year ago. But $600? No thanks. ;)

If money is no object, you can also get their new Overlander vehicle GPS. It's a big, heavy, $700 monster, but has some interesting features. I wonder if it has any Basecamp compatibility? https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/685257

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
FWIW, an oddity of the new GPSMap66i is that it apparently has an internal rechargeable battery and cannot use AA batteries like other Garmin handhelds. My *guess* is that this was done to make room for the satellite radio in the same size case as the 66s. But whenever people discuss dedicated GPS units vs. cellphones, the ability to use AA batteries is a major argument in Garmin's favor.

Reactions: ecampbell

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If I was a boat owner and traveled the sea I would want one. A small price to pay to save your life. Other than that, no thanks.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Why do you say that? I don't see anything all that remarkable (beyond a slick advertising campaign).

When folks are dropping 40-50K+ for one of the new offroad equipped trucks coming on the market, $600 is nothing. I think Garmin has better name recognition and advertising than Magellan; that's all it takes. Even if they won't go 'offroad', as most won't. Chevy just released the ZR2 Bison, Ford has their Raptor and a soon to be released baby Raptor, Chrysler has their Power Wagon; all cost megabucks and most won't even get dirty ;) Its all about who has the best toy. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes offered as an option to their current in-dash selections.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
FWIW, an oddity of the new GPSMap66i is that it apparently has an internal rechargeable battery and cannot use AA batteries like other Garmin handhelds. My *guess* is that this was done to make room for the satellite radio in the same size case as the 66s. But whenever people discuss dedicated GPS units vs. cellphones, the ability to use AA batteries is a major argument in Garmin's favor.
I don't think they could get enough power out of AAs to run this thing, with GPS satellite, Iridium satellite, and cellular connection. Lithium Ion batteries are great. My cameras use them, and I have extra pack(s) that I can swap in as needed. But as far as I can tell this Garmin unit has a non-removable/non-replaceable battery pack. That means you are done for the day when the battery is out, and you throw out the unit when the battery no longer holds a charge. Like Apple iPhones, I think? Bad idea.

Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Unless the battery is buried deep in circuit boards, it can probably be replaced if you know how to solder. Might even be easier than that. Most that claim to be unreplaceable are the rechargeable type. Neighbor was throwing out a big LED spotlight from Coleman, said it didn't work and the battery was not replaceable. He gave it to me, I did some searches and found the battery it used, bought it. With some disassembly the unreplaceable battery was replaced; a direct plugin. Bright as a comet. I gave it back to him with a smile. If something is not working, it doesn't cost anything but some time to take it apart and look. Someone has probably already done it and posted how on UTube.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
But as far as I can tell this Garmin unit has a non-removable/non-replaceable battery pack.

I see that GPSCity is now selling the 66i bundled with an external USB battery pack: https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-gpsmap-66i-and-aibocn-power-bank-10000mah-external-battery

FWIW, they are also selling the Oregon 700 for $280, which is one of the better prices I've seen on that model. Not a recommendation, since I've never used one. But it's worth considering if you want a new Garmin GPS.

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-oregon-700

The weird thing is that it's actually $20 cheaper than a refurb from the same store. :confused:

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-oregon-700-(certified-refurbished)

Garmin sells the same model for $400

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/550460

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
If they work as advertised they will be selling a lot of these regardless of the price.

This is the first review I've seen. It's not likely to help Garmin sell many of these $700 devices. ;)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
FWIW, they are also selling the Oregon 700 for $280, which is one of the better prices I've seen on that model. Not a recommendation, since I've never used one. But it's worth considering if you want a new Garmin GPS.

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-oregon-700

Pondering a replacement for my broken Montana 600.... GPSCity stil has the Oregon 700 for $280, but Bass Pro has it for $250 ( in-stock at the Atlantic City Store). That is probably the best price I've ever seen on this model.

Still not sure what Garmin device (if any) I want however....

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks! :cool: That's another possibility (if they will still do it). As much as I've enjoyed the Montana, it really is very large though.

OTOH, my iPhone is about 4 years old now.... so maybe the money would be better spent towards a new phone, the new ones are supposed to have much better screens and battery life. All things considered, I will probably just wait awhile longer and not do anything.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Lucky guy! When I retired, my staff made a nice framed poster of my accomplishments over the years and my boss took me to lunch. No complaints though... retirement is the gift that keeps on giving! :dance:

Reactions: NJCoastal