Canoe, canoe?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I owned a Hornbeck 10 footer when I had the place up north. Most good ponds required packing a boat in, the Hornbeck weighs 15lbs sopping wet, is stable and can be paddled like a kayak.

View attachment 13468

I now have a 15' Swift at 37lbs, also very stable.

View attachment 13467

Yes, that use of a kayak paddle is growing in popularity now for solo canoes. I wonder how the Kevlar will handle our piney rivers though, with the thud-thud-thud you get here from hitting submerged trees and branches.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It's too bad Jersey Paddler went belly up; your could test drive any boat you were interested right across the street. They also held the country's second largest paddling show each March in Somerset NJ. But the memories live on in FB.

They also had, in some years, an open day in Lakewood for all vendors to bring their craft to let people try them out. You could also try a craft out at that place in Brick that also closed.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I wonder how the Kevlar will handle our piney rivers though, with the thud-thud-thud you get here from hitting submerged trees and branches.

Bullet proof vests are made with it ;) In general, it's not recommended for white water stuff, but I know of none in the Pines. The problem with other material's is the weight. My old 15' canoe was royalex, great general use boat, but it weighed 75lbs. They also make boats from carbon fiber; $$$$$. The issue I have with the Swift for tight spaces is you have to kneel in the boat, not very comfortable after some time passes by; using the seat caused too much head contact with branches as you sit pretty high. Nothing is perfect. The Hornbeck was a lot easier to use in tight spots, I cut down a canoe paddle to use, as the kayak paddle was too wide for many spots. Sold it to a neighbor for his son, should have kept it, got it at Jersey Paddler as someones trade in. Very hard to find outside the ADK's.

Last edited:
Reactions: old jersey girl

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The Hornbeck was a lot easier to use in tight spots, I cut down a canoe paddle to use, as the kayak paddle was too wide for many spots. Sold it to a neighbor for his son, should have kept it, got it at Jersey Paddler as someones trade in. Very hard to find outside the ADK's.

I recall, when I was looking for a kayak 5 years ago, that I did look into Hornbeck. But what about the seat, being so low. Was it difficult for a senior to get in and out?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I did not have a problem; they have a 'technique' but I never had to use it. It is easier than trying to get in/out of the hole in a kayak.

Reactions: bobpbx

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
BTW, they have a 1 week try it, if you don't like it send it back for xchange or refund. I might be talking myself into another one :eek:

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
The one thing I learned about any of these boats is the easier it is to load the more you will use it. I bought a used kayak that was so long it had to be mounted on the roof with all sorts of straps. It was too much aggravation for anything less than a day.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And we came all the way back also. That was a great day. 6/6/2009

Here are some images and a video from our trip up the Oswego to Sim Place.

Swamp Azalea
Swampazalea.jpg

IMG_2198a.jpg

Woodjin (Jeff) was with us also.

IMG_2166a.jpg

At the very end of the Oswego at Sim Place. Unless you want to trespass and go across the road.

IMG_2167a.jpg

And a video of Jeff and Bob at one of the hundred trees we had to cross that day.

https://youtu.be/nZbUOEktn20

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photos Guy! Look at how fast that water was that day. It was certainly a difficult run.

That was my previous camera. Far superior to the one I have now. I should try and buy that camera again.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
It's too bad Jersey Paddler went belly up; your could test drive any boat you were interested right across the street. They also held the country's second largest paddling show each March in Somerset NJ. But the memories live on in FB.

Paddled is where I bought my yak