Hiker's Beware

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
Commercial tags?
Nope, I just don't do it. Got a pick-up, a Jeep and two bikes (which I think don't need inspection anymore) Used to inspect the bikes but the truck and Jeep still have the same stickers that were on there the day I bought them.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
It's true that old catalytic converters are worth decent money. I have a guy that comes to my shop to buy them for $50 and $100. Presumably I could get more if I removed the middle man and took them right to the scrap yard. I've never been asked for ID, fingerprints, or anything like that. I hand him the part, he hands me cash.

The theft of cats from parked cars has really gotten more prevalent since battery powered reciprocating saws became widely available.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The reason is the older cars do not have the connection that fits the emission equipment used to check them. At least that is what the letter my mom received said. It told her to leave the paperwork in the vehicle and show it if anyone questions her.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The reason is the older cars do not have the connection that fits the emission equipment used to check them. At least that is what the letter my mom received said. It told her to leave the paperwork in the vehicle and show it if anyone questions her.

That, and because of the historic class of cars too. They, and others older than 1996 are so few in number, and don't hit the road often, so why bother.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Perhaps, I am missing something. That does not make sense to me. Aren't the newer cars safer and produce less emissions than older cars?

Newer cars have diagnostic equipment onboard that continuously tests for emissions and will light up your check engine light if there's a problem. That's why inspections on modern cars are so quick - they plug in their computer, check the data in the car, and you're on your way.

Older cars (pre-1995) didn't have the tech (OBD2) to do that so they're exempt since I guess allowing people to potentially drive unsafe vehicles (because they don't even do any safety checks to see if your brakes work, that you don't have bald tires, cracked windshields, etc.) or that belch pollution is cheaper than having more employees and longer lines at the inspection stations.

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
Newer cars have diagnostic equipment onboard that continuously tests for emissions and will light up your check engine light if there's a problem. That's why inspections on modern cars are so quick - they plug in their computer, check the data in the car, and you're on your way.

Older cars (pre-1995) didn't have the tech (OBD2) to do that so they're exempt since I guess allowing people to potentially drive unsafe vehicles (because they don't even do any safety checks to see if your brakes work, that you don't have bald tires, cracked windshields, etc.) or that belch pollution is cheaper than having more employees and longer lines at the inspection stations.

Actually the safety portions of the inspection were eliminated for private to save time and money they still do safety checks on all commercial registered vehicles to 10,000 lbs which is backwards they should be doing the private cars cause there usually the ones running cracked windshield and bald tires but for the emissions end they went according to the Fed standards for emissions testing as there are fewer older cars then new and the equipment needed to test tail pipe emissions is triple the money and is very time consuming and needs to be calibrated often by a outside company at a fee so the cost of inspection for older cars was not worth the expense as most states do not do emissions testing on pre 96 cars
And just cause there old don't mean there bad

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe