Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Is this it?

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 7.44.41 PM.png

lidar.boydsmaps.com/#x089y045/shader/-299/354/-356/-299/0/-356/-200/250/-900/50/2.5/2d

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 7.34.07 PM.png

lidar.boydsmaps.com/#x089y045/shader/-259/95/-212/-299/0/-356/-706/314/-1137/100/2.5/3d

Note: sorry, but these links don't work because the lidar site no longer exists

Last edited:
Reactions: Teegate

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Teegate,

My calculations put it in the same spot. The lidar that you and Boyd provided leave little doubt that you've found Reeve's Stone Island. Looking forward to hearing if the well at Herd's Cabin is lined with stone.

Incidentally, there is no indication that a person named Herd ever owned property in the area. During the last half of the 18th century, cedar swamps and pinewoods tracts were purchased at a feverish rate by wealthy entrepreneurs living outside the pines. But they needed men on the site to cut, haul, and saw the valuable timber. I think cabins (usually called cabbins in the old deeds) were quite common in the pines but must have been modest arrangements that could be easily moved or simply abandoned once the forest was denuded. I suspect Herd's cabin predates the iron era that started at nearby Hampton in 1795. There was a Homan's Cabbin near Penn Swamp below Quaker Bridge and a Burnt Cabin up the Toohawkin (no, not Tulpehawken) stream. I seem to remember seeing other references too. I will think on it.

Reactions: Boyd and Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I doubt I will find anything at the well. I suspect they have already tumbled to the bottom. In any event, I will be going back. I just need the right day.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, the road to Reeves according to deeds I have, starts on East Stokes road. I was there Sunday and the stone mentioned in the first line is no longer there.

Beginning at a large stone corner to the Atsion Survey near the NE corner of the late Mark LeMunyon Place and according to a survey made by James Wills of the same October the 13th, 1899, runs: thence.

(1) by Atsion line, North 38 degree and 15 minutes West 15 chains and 38 links to the middle of the road leading from Stokes road (East Stokes) to Reeves Stone Island.

The LeMunyon property is still owned by a LeMunyon. The road they mention may be the current road through the bogs from East Stokes but most likely that road has been somewhat altered over the years.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like Jack LeMunyon may have sold to Whalen in 2011.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

In post 26 above I mentioned that the large stone for the Atsion Survey written about in the survey I have was no longer there. Well, while working on the deed I have concerning Reeves Stone Mountain, I realized the stone is there and I have visited it. So lets go over this again.

The deed I have states:

Beginning at a large stone corner to the Atsion Survey near the NE corner of the late Mark LeMunyon Place and according to a survey made by James Wills of the same October the 13th, 1899, runs: thence.

Here is that stone. I realized I had been wrong in Post 26 when I worked on the deed and it wasn't coming out properly. Then when I switched to this stone to start, everything fell into place.

IMG_6077.jpg

The deed then from the stone tells us where the center of the road is that leads to Reeves Stone Mountain.

by Atsion line, 15 chains and 38 links to the middle of the road leading from Stokes road (East Stokes) to Reeves Stone Island, thence along the middle of the road leading to the said stone island, the next 12 courses.

I ran all 12 courses and here is the current map of the road, and the 1930 aerial of the road. We have to remember that this deed is long before 1930 so the road may have been slightly different.

Today. The center of the road mentioned above is point 2 and the other courses head north and east.

current.jpg

1930. You can see it is pretty close to matching up.

1930a.jpg

It is interesting to note the top one, number 13, states this in the deed.

North 6 degrees east, one chain and 21 links to a stake in the middle of the road, 16 links North of the bridge crossing said road.

Reactions: Boyd and bobpbx

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
Guy,

Is there a way to enter chains and links on your GPS or do you have to convert it with a calculator each time?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,

Is there a way to enter chains and links on your GPS or do you have to convert it with a calculator each time?

Not that I know of. I just use the calculator and multiply by 66. Unless it is just links and then by .66

I usually print it out and before working on it I write the distance next to the line.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yeah I knew a chain was 66 ft so I multiplied that by 12 and got the inches then divided that by 100 for each link and came up with 7.92 inches which is how I figured out the exact length when links were given.Guys .66 will be easier and quicker.If I';d of thought about it I';d of known that since .66 would be 1/100 th of 66 ft,. :)

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I promised I would go back to the well at Herd's Cabin to check to see if it was stone lined, and today was that day. This is a one hour walk each way and I was on my own, so I retraced the same route as before and started early. Here is a photo along Jackson Road at the Atco Dragway on my way to start the day.

DSC_1575a.jpg

And through my window on Atsion Road as the sun just made it over the horizon.

DSC_1585a.jpg

I put my previous tracks in my GPS and followed the same route from Deep Run. The weather was perfect and the woods were fairly dry after all the rain we have had. The Bards Branch was still only about 8 to 12 inches deep, but the canal I had to cross was still a little concerning. However, all went well and an hour after starting out I was at the well. I took a long screwdriver and a small shovel and here are the results. These video's have sound unlike most of mine. So turn on your volume and watch.

This is one of my first video's with my camera. I was not sure how it would look.

https://youtu.be/zu7cFO5fmos

And with my cell phone so I could send to Jessica home here recovering from a sore arm after her first vaccination shot. It is hard to walk two hours in the woods with a sore arm so she stayed home.

https://youtu.be/htBs6EBp7Ss

So Oriental, the answer is the well is stone lined.

DSC_1599a.jpg

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Also notice the stone appears to be sandstone which most likely came from Reeves Stone Island as Oriental speculated.

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
An update: If you are interested here is as far as I have gone so far in tracing deeds that mention Herd's cabin. I will start at the oldest so far and move forward. Keep in mind that member "Oriental" says he traced it back as far as 1810.

Again, these may not be the same tract, but mention Herd's cabin.

Ephraim Cline to Israel Small 6/11/1825 (Cline Lived in Evesham) Herd's Cabin is NOT mentioned.

Israel Small To Benjamin Small 11/4/1850 (This deed also mentions Reeves Stone Island (Hill) ) Israel Small lived in Medford.

Benjamin Small to Edward Thompson 8/28/1854 (Small is from Shamong)

Edward Thompson to George Gandy 3/18/1868

James L. Gandy to Thomas B. Gandy 1926

Joseph Edward Gandy to Melach Belopolsky 1/28/1946

And the same day Melach Belopolsky to Joseph Edgar Gandy.

Joseph Edgar Gandy to Stanley S. Giberson 10/21/1947

Stanley S. Giberson to Rocco F. DeMarco and Anthony C DeMarco 1/24/1967

Rocco F. DeMarco and Anthony C DeMarco to Dynamic Technology Internation Inc. 9/5/1969

Francis P. Brennan Sheriff of Burlington County and Colonial National Bank and a Judgement against Dynamic Technology 8/23/1973

MidAtlantic National Bank To Thomas R. Whitesell 11/26/1980.

And I will be hopefully giving you another update sometime in the next few months.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012
Jackson, NJ
This was very interesting reading. Somewhere along the way I got lost. You found a stone, but missed the well and second stone. You went back and found both. You went back again and the first stone was missing? Or did you locate it again?

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This was very interesting reading. Somewhere along the way I got lost. You found a stone, but missed the well and second stone. You went back and found both. You went back again and the first stone was missing? Or did you locate it again?

I was on an outing with others and while they were resting I basically ran through the woods and found the stone right next to a well but I for some reason did not notice the well in my earlier visit. I did not know about the second stone at that time. Years later I was reading over deeds and noticed a well 6 feet away was mentioned, and also noticed on the deed another stone was nearby. So I went back and found them both and the well. Then I made the report you read and was asked if the well was stones lined, so I went back again and found that the well is stone lined and I also found both stones again.

Reactions: Boyd