Tar Kiln Locations?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Would anyone have any idea what these button shaped formations are? They are all over the Cumberland Pond area and I suspect they map be Collier charcoal sites.I have checked the other furnace area and have found none or only a single on here and there but there are literally clusters in the Cumberland Furnace area.Soon as the ice is gone off the ground I intend to investigate

Moderator Note: these posts were split from the following thread: https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/2019-south-jersey-lidar.13666/#post-164081

Attachments

• buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 214
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think some of them are natural, even though the ones you have may not be.

natural.jpg

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Would anyone have any idea what these button shaped formations are? They are all over the Cumberland Pond area and I suspect they map be Collier charcoal sites.I have checked the other furnace area and have found none or only a single on here and there but there are literally clusters in the Cumberland Furnace area.Soon as the ice is gone off the ground I intend to investigate
Possibly tar kilns.

Reactions: manumuskin
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
What is a tar kiln? Sometrghimng to do with pine sap?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Here are two tar kilns located on Stockton University Property. The one to the left was discovered and excavated by Budd Wilson. The one to the right I was able to discover the easy way by way of the lidar imagery.

Screenshot (63).png

• Love
Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

Pg. 9 includes Lidar images of tar kilns. I believe I've found a number of them in the Mullica Basin.
Thanks Gabe! I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.Would also explain the trench that seems to break the ring in most of the features.,I knew about tar burning operations in the carolinas but didn't know the same thing was being done up here. I have probably walked over these things before and had no idea what they were.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Thanks Gabe! I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.Would also explain the trench that seems to break the ring in most of the features.,I knew about tar burning operations in the carolinas but didn't know the same thing was being done up here. I have probably walked over these things before and had no idea what they were.

Tar (pitch) extraction was important for the shipbuilding industry from the outset. I'm sure we've both walked over these things without realizing it.

Reactions: manumuskin

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Last edited: