More Changes at Forked River Mountain

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
The worst thing that happened to me...

I forgot about the ticks. Those things spoiled the Barrens for me. One weekend we spent camping around the vanished town of Mount, lolling around on the grass, beautiful weather. Our whole bodies were covered with ticks and we didn't even realize it. And of course the nasty little things like to crawl into the nastiest most out of the way spots on your body. The way I used to get them off back then was dip the end of a rag into my VW gas tank and touch them with the gasoline. Then they'd wiggle and you could pull them right out. Then they said not to do that because it makes them disgoge their insides into your body, but that was the method that worked the best for me. I could never screw them out. Their heads just broke off inside. Ticks r the only outdoor thing i hate and fear. I've had a lot of them on and in me.

Last edited:

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I had an occurance with a pack of wild dogs in the City of Camden some years ago. No contact but I remember thinking "one more thing that'll kill you in this city".

Cities are the really dangerous places, but u never know. This whole planet is dangerous.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
"borrowing cranberries"

Not long before above mentioned aerial attack. I was only taking a handful or 2...

That's my VW Beetle in the middle distance. It ran great down there on those narrow sandy roads. So did the Subaru.

Attachments

• Cranberry bog in Pine Barrens 2.jpg
    Cranberry bog in Pine Barrens 2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 117

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wish I had a photo of the wild dogs chasing me on Savoy Blvd. It was a large pack living at Pioneer Smelting.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I wish I had a photo of the wild dogs chasing me on Savoy Blvd. It was a large pack living at Pioneer Smelting.

Did u get away OK? I've been attacked by dogs too. One junkyard dog snuck up and bit the back of my leg right outside Sing Sing prison, which i used to have to visit on my job. But right thru my dungarees.

Here's another one of me in the cranberry bog. Maybe i once posted these pictures before I don't know. Next time i go down there i'm bringing an antiaircraft gun mounted on the top of my Beetle. 1973 I think.

Attachments

• Cranberry bog in Pine Barrens.jpg
    Cranberry bog in Pine Barrens.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Had two dogs along the Batona Trail back in the 80's north of 72 that I walked up on ransacking an illegal dump pile in the woods,had some food cans in it.When they looked up and seen me they started growling with their hair up.They were miles from a house so may have been wild? Np collars or anything.I did not take to being threatened in my own woods that way so I started walking toward them fast and they bot skedaddled back about 100 ft and continued growling.Once I had established dominance as the Alfie dog I continued up the trail.Don't be threatening me in my own woods.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Al, if I feel I can get away with it, I start running at them. Usually works, but there are a few dogs that make me hesitant, like big rottweilers, pitbulls, and german shepards (to name a few). I had a rottweiler challenge me in my own driveway, and he stood his ground. If he was not the neighbors dog I would have started throwing heavy objects at his head. One thing I've noticed about dogs; if they are nasty with you, I'll flip them onto their sides (if I can) and growl at them while close to their neck and keeping them from moving an inch. They get meek after that treatment.

Reactions: manumuskin

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
" I started walking toward them fast"

"I'll flip them onto their sides (if I can) and growl at them"

Years ago I used to go camping with an avid outdoorsman. He called himself "Dances With Bears". He would go solo backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. He amused himself by chasing bears. He said that all bears r cowards and run away if you chase them. I haven't heard from him in many years now. It didn't sound like the greatest plan in the world...

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I used to take a two mile walk with my wife back in the day when I worked day shift like normal people.We used to pass a house on the route that had two rottweiliers. One was always in the house and the other was out and loose,no fence and they both liked to chase whoever walked past the house.If you faced em they would false charge and growl but they like to charge you from behind.My wife was scared of them.As we walked past the house one day I seen one of them looking at me from around the back corner of the house sneaky like.I knew what was coming.I told my wife don't run I got this.As we past the house I heard the dogs nails once it hit the asphalt.I judged when it was about six ft behind me and I spun and growled my nastiest growl and charge the rotty.The dog bitch squealed,skidded to a halt and spun around an beat feet back to the house.There were piss streaks in the road and they weren't mine.That dog never charged us again

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
" I started walking toward them fast"

"I'll flip them onto their sides (if I can) and growl at them"

Years ago I used to go camping with an avid outdoorsman. He called himself "Dances With Bears". He would go solo backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. He amused himself by chasing bears. He said that all bears r cowards and run away if you chase them. I haven't heard from him in many years now. It didn't sound like the greatest plan in the world...
I have had several bears run from me.I wasn't chasing them but when they seen me they beat feet.One I did semi chase with a camera.It was a campground bear and every time I"d get close enough for a pic it would scoot up the hill a little and look back at me annoyed.I was in shape then and that bear had me huffin but she seemed to float up the hill.By the way the lie that bears can't run down hill is BS.I did have a female huff and chomp her teeth at me and Momma once.we spooked her on a hot summer day out of a rhodo thicket in WV beside an old logging road we were walking.Wife was behind me and the momma ran down the hill into the trail we were on but she was looking the wrong way up the trail so missed us at first.Momma said there are cubs up the hill.I thought Oh shit what if they come down behind us? That puts us between them and Momma.Thats when she started huffing and jaw poppinng both agressive moves. i was under no impression the Rottweiler move might work.I had a big 5 inch kbar knife on my hip.I reached for it and waited.The cubs ran down the hill right to her,she turned around and beat feet up the trail>i told Momma I knew she was a coward.Look at her run! I was so glad I didn't have to kick her ass. I"d p[ut her at 350.I was about 2 even back then

Reactions: Menantico