Ticks & Chiggers--a study

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We had three on us in the past two weekends. One Jessica was throwing out the window and dropped it in the car. I usually find them on me Monday mornings at work.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Bob, great photos. They show very clearly an easy way to identify a black-legged tick. The ventral (belly) view shows what's called the adanal groove, or an arch that surrounds the tick's anus. No other genus of ticks has this and it's a very quick way to ID what you have.

Attachments

• 1605638207527.png
    1605638207527.png
    494.4 KB · Views: 193

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Oh Joy. This is a snippet of a Rutgers message.

"Gulf Coast ticks (GCT), Amblyomma maculatum are in Salem county, NJ. Individual ticks have also been found in Cape May and the Meadowlands area. This is a very aggressive tick and does bite humans and pets. It transmits Rickettsia parkeri and some populations have a high prevalence with this pathogen."

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Oh Joy. This is a snippet of a Rutgers message.

"Gulf Coast ticks (GCT), Amblyomma maculatum are in Salem county, NJ. Individual ticks have also been found in Cape May and the Meadowlands area. This is a very aggressive tick and does bite humans and pets. It transmits Rickettsia parkeri and some populations have a high prevalence with this pathogen."
Super bummer. They look a lot like American dog ticks, but have much longer mouthparts and tend to be larger. You guys be on the lookout for these. They have a very painful bite.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
Thanks for the access to the article, Bob. It was fascinating to read, but it's disturbing to think of flying ticks with electro-targeting capabilities. It will be surprising if I don't have "Wizard of Oz" nightmares with big flying ticks replacing flying monkeys.

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks for the access to the article, Bob. It was fascinating to read, but it's disturbing to think of flying ticks with electro-targeting capabilities. It will be surprising if I don't have "Wizard of Oz" nightmares with big flying ticks replacing flying monkeys.
It's a good thing I don't have nightmares. I watched "The Thing" on Netflix last night. Hoo boy!

Reactions: M1 Abrams and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You can read this, it's not locked. I often feel like I had it but it got better over time. Many nights when I lived in Bamber, when I got into bed, I'd be scratching my lower legs until they turned pink in some areas, and yet it was obvious there was no bug bite.

"In a survey last year of 1,500 clinicians, 42 percent said they had not heard of the allergic condition;among those who had, fewer than a third knew how to diagnose it."

I guess they don't visit our site here!

Reactions: M1 Abrams