DEP Announces Virtual Public Meeting to Launch Wharton State Forest Visitor and Vehicle Use Survey

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I tried to link the news release but I really don't know what I am doing. Its a virtual meeting on 9-27-2022 at 6:00 p.m.
I will try to conquer my ineptness and see if I can get the page .

Last edited:
Reactions: enormiss

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Was looking at their various calendars but not finding anything
Then seen you said news release and found it

Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Was looking at their various calendars but not finding anything
Then seen you said news release and found it

Thanks. I checked the NJDEP releases immediately after I received the email and it wasn't there. They obviously updated it.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
They talk about protecting all the state forests, parks and WMA's however they seem to be fixated on just Wharton. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about permits based on them holding a zoom call about Wharton (unless you think it will have its own permit). I mean, I don't think people will be happy if they start closing roads in Wawayanda State Park based on the results of a survey of "Wharton visitors". ;)

And does the NJDEP have the authority to create a new permit and require/enforce its use on certain roads? Wouldn't that require legislative action?

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Referring to this paragraph. Makes it sound like a foregone conclusion, at least for Wharton:

In considering the future of Wharton State Forest, the State Park Service will develop a permit system for use of unimproved roads throughout the forest, modeled after the Department’s experience implementing the Mobile Sport Fishing Vehicle Permit system at Island Beach State Park. Permits would be issued for vehicle use of designated safe and legal routes identified through input received from the visitor use survey and future stakeholder meetings through early 2023. The development of a permit system will enhance the State Park Police’s ability to assess vehicle use and protect sensitive resources throughout the forest.

Bog Mermaid

Nov 8, 2021
Folsom
There’s been a tremendous amount of work being done on roads going through Wharton. I had assumed it was because of the fire, the forest fire service was making sure the roads were passable to better access and monitor areas. However I had suspicions that they were making more parking area out along the Batsto after some recent activity. Would be safe to say now it’s related to this plan. We all need to make sure our voices are heard. Would seem ridiculous to have seperate permits for each state forest. Toll booths would be more practical!!! But let’s not give the state any more ideas. I like that the roads have been improved but looks like there will be an additional price to pay for that.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
The way the article is worded it certainly sounds like it.

You would think this meeting for public comment would be along the lines of: "We're thinking of implementing a permit system. Join us to discuss this plan."

Instead it seems to be: "We have decided to implement a permit system. Join to watch us decide which roads will be considered in-scope for it."

And, maybe implicitly (and more sinisterly): "Anything that isn't represented in this meeting will not be in-scope and will cease to be classified as a road you will be permitted to drive on."

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
This is a terribly written article. "Birders and others who don't use vehicles in the parks..." Yeah, they walk in from the highway, I am sure.

The article they cribbed from at the NJ DEP site is here. But the details are the same. Unless we speak up, permits are coming.

Here is the link to register for the mapping meeting. It looks like all you can do is give an email address to be notified about it, at this time:
http://njparksandforests.org/wharton/

Reactions: bobpbx

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
There’s been a tremendous amount of work being done on roads going through Wharton. I had assumed it was because of the fire, the forest fire service was making sure the roads were passable to better access and monitor areas. However I had suspicions that they were making more parking area out along the Batsto after some recent activity. Would be safe to say now it’s related to this plan. We all need to make sure our voices are heard. Would seem ridiculous to have seperate permits for each state forest. Toll booths would be more practical!!! But let’s not give the state any more ideas. I like that the roads have been improved but looks like there will be an additional price to pay for that.
I’ve been spending more time in the pines lately and noticed all the work bing done too. The funny thing is I see less new damage then I saw a few years back. At least in Wharton.

Reactions: TommyP

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I’ve been spending more time in the pines lately and noticed all the work bing done too. The funny thing is I see less new damage then I saw a few years back. At least in Wh

The Mud tours have really slowed down and I don't see many tracks into Q mile anymore. It is really different. I am happy but there is momentum to restrict access that is no longer justified. They are fighting the last decade war but for the most part it is over.