Campers at Columbus?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sigh....

I see that Masterpiece Crafts, which occupied the Kresson Baptist Church on Rt 73 that my family owned 1961-1977, is no more and our old church and adjacent lots are apparently being offered for sale for redevelopment ("the value is in the land"). I guess the 150 year old church will soon see its final day.

Sean Barry

That land is as you say worth a bundle. Luckily I have video of the church. BTW, with Comcast allowing me 1GB of webspace, I can upload a higher resolution video if you are interested.

How did you find out about it being up for sale?

Guy

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
Yes, you shared that video with me last year, a kindness for which I will always be grateful. I tried the Masterpiece Crafts website last night and found it no longer operational, so on a hunch I Googled "churches for sale Marlton" and lo and behold up popped the Kresson property. The entire 6-lot aggregate is listed at $500K (my wife says we can't afford it) which is actually pretty cheap compared with California highway frontage commercial property (I'd think that similarly sized and located property in the Central Valley where I live would list for more like $1.2 million, and twice that in the San Francisco Bay Area).

I don't imagine the church represents a historically significant site--after all, the pews were already gone when we bought it in 1961. I assume that my key doesn't work any more either.

I'd love to see the video in hi-res.

Thanks

Sean

That land is as you say worth a bundle. Luckily I have video of the church. BTW, with Comcast allowing me 1GB of webspace, I can upload a higher resolution video if you are interested.

How did you find out about it being up for sale?

Guy

chrisw

Feb 15, 2008
Last try for me. I 've written 2 repsonse for this thread and when I hit posts it tells me I'm not logged on.:mad:

Here goes. Went to Camp Columbus in 74 and 75.
75 was the last year opened, also the year of the pools.

chrisw

Feb 15, 2008
Ok, now that it worked I'll add more.
I'm sure on the years as my older brother was a counselor in 75.
Checked with him on the year.
John Sherry ran the camp those summers.

What I remember:
Mud hike across the drained lake in 75.
Building a foot bridge across a little stream behind the cub camp in 74 and sleeping in our sleeping bags there that night at our "camp in the woods".
Slap Hockey in the rec hall.
Having a paint fight with my cabin counselor, Mr Prettymen, when he ran arts & crafts one day.
Drinking the water straight from the stream at Clear Water. This was the stream that fed the lake. It was where it crossed Dover road.
Writing our names on the cabin ceiling with toothpaste. This was definitely going on long before I got there.
Boxing night. I lost.
Having a "piney" ( can't believe I remember his name: matthew) join us for a canoe trip in the lake and wathcing, amazed, as he dove headfirst into the muck and came up with a turtle.

Sure wish I could see some of the old photos.

GPS coordinates for the camp are:
39 degrees, 53' 44.18" N
74 degrees, 19' 20.29" W

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sure wish I could see some of the old photos.

GPS coordinates for the camp are:
39 degrees, 53' 44.18" N
74 degrees, 19' 20.29" W

I see the links I posted are no longer valid, so here again are the photo’s that bobpbx gave me permission to post.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/columbus/Camp_Columbus.jpg

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/columbus/Welcome.JPG

Before I altered it.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/columbus/Camp_Columbus Unaltered.jpg

BTW, to display the degree symbol in your coordinates, use command, shift, 8. That would be the key just to the left of the space bar, shift, 8. Hopefully it is the same in XP as my Mac.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What is interesting is that so far I believe every person who has been a camper there has not had a photo to post. If not for the person who gave bobpbx the two I posted we would not have any. Does any former camper have a photo to show us?

Guy

chrisw

Feb 15, 2008
I could check with my mother. But I know I don't have any photos. I was only 8 & 9 when I went.

Axeman

Nov 13, 2007
not a camper

But I thought I would add something to the original thread starter, Sean.

Sean, I live in Cherry Hill right off Kresson Rd. I grew up there before moving to Ga, living there for 20yrs and I have recently moved back to Cherry Hill. When you talk about this area, my mind fills with the same images only about 10 years later.

I used to fish in Kresson Lakes all the time, pulled many a big mouth out of that lake, many 5+ pds. I know your old property well. I am going to go by it today and see it, try to find out some info for you. I am in the real estate business.

You mentioned your dad was an archer at Square Circle, well I am a member there and that place oozes history. Did you ever meet any of the vets there? I have met many of the old timers, they have lunch and shoot trap every Tuesday, they call themselves the Over The Hill Gang. I shoot archery there, mostly traditional stuff and just started my 7yo son. Did you spend any time there.. fishing, shooting or playing? My kids love it there because they have some playground equipment that is straight out of the '60s. Slides are too high and too fast, real monkey bars and swings with chains that are perfect for going as high as possible on.

I laughed at one of your comments about rattlers and Mt Misery. Every year our school district takes the 6th graders there and still does. Back in the late '70s a childhood friend got bit by a juvenile rattler while on a hike at Mr Misery. She survived, but her hand suffered some muscle damage. I laughed because everyone was so upset that she was going to die. But if you ask her about, she speak of that incident as if it was a mosquito bite. She knew she was never in trouble because she just knew the school would never take her to a camp where she might get injured,:v:

This is a great thread and really made my day. I am glad all you old campers have connected and I hope it continues.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I laughed at one of your comments about rattlers and Mt Misery. Every year our school district takes the 6th graders there and still does.

My mom drove a bus years ago for Cherry Hill and took the kids there each year. Also to Brooksbrae, the JCC camp, and Whitesbogs.

Guy

Axeman

Nov 13, 2007
Tom Rua... It certainly does sound familiar. Is he a gunsmith???? I will be there tomorrow if it does not rain. I just cant place the face but I know I have heard of him or been introduced. So my answer is no, I dont know him.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Boy, you brought up some old memories. When I was in first or second grade, I spent a summer week at camp Columbus, that was nearly 50 years ago. I still remember the mess hall and the bath rooms that were just a long row of toilets with no privacy provided.
I enjoyed it and would have liked to spent more time there.

Axeman

Nov 13, 2007
Sean....
If I am not mistaken, your old warehouse is not a AV Video Concepts store and shop. I drove by today and am pretty sure it is the old church. Paladium window over the fron door, high up on the facade, first building on the right once you pass the intersection headed towards Marlton.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sean....
If I am not mistaken, your old warehouse is not a AV Video Concepts store and shop. I drove by today and am pretty sure it is the old church. Paladium window over the fron door, high up on the facade, first building on the right once you pass the intersection headed towards Marlton.

Axeman,

Just to let you know Sean disappears for months on end. And I believe he never said it was a Video store. It was the Masterpiece Craft store which can be viewed in my video in an above post. It is quite large so it can be a problem to view.

Guy

The old church is still there in Marlton, the building was bought whole and made into a new store. I can't recall what it is though. I work at Kresson School, so I drive past it almost every day...

They knocked down the old house next it to it though last year, maybe the year before. I had always wondered how old that house was, but never bothered to find out...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The old church is still there in Marlton, the building was bought whole and made into a new store. I can't recall what it is though. I work at Kresson School, so I drive past it almost every day...

They knocked down the old house next it to it though last year, maybe the year before. I had always wondered how old that house was, but never bothered to find out...

It was the masterpiece Craft store.

That house next to it was owned by a man my dad worked with when I was a kid. His name was Mike Jarvis and his wife was Peggy. His daughter was my fourth grade teacher at Evans School in Marlton next to where the hospital is now. He is buried near my dad at Locustwood Cemetery in Cherry Hill.

Guy

Summers End

Hi all. My name is Chris Holt. I was a camper at Camp Columbus from 1967 through 1974. The name Summers End (my screen name for this site) was bestowed upon me during the Indian awards ceremony for being camper of the week. It was the last week of the season in August of 1973. I still have the Indian headdress patch that I was awarded. And as fate would have it, I eventually became an Indian brave for the camper of the week induction ceremony during the time that I worked there. All of the Indians in the ceremony but the chief had to wear what amounted to loin cloths and feathered headbands. One wrong move and the family jewels were on display for all to see. Prior to the ceremony we would go to the art shop and paint our bodies and faces with paint. When signaled, two of us would then run screaming like Indians to the council ring and leap over those parents, campers and locals seated for the ceremony. I would then leap over the campfire and scoop up a handful of sand then recite "Winds of the North, winds of the South, winds of the East, winds of the West, guide me to my destination" while throwing sand in the appropriate direction to correlate with my mantra. We would then scour the council ring looking for the preselected new inductees. Once we found them we would drag them to the chief so they could have their Indian names bestowed upon them. It was also a running gag to try and make the chief somehow lose his composure. Usually when the chief would ask what merits have these two inductees demonstrated to be worthy of the honor they are about to receive. I would whisper something in his ear to try and make him laugh, I can't remember which Mercantini brother was the chief that year but after failing all season to make him crack up I came up with a plan. I had taken an empty shampoo bottle and filled it with water and stuffed it under my loin cloth. I had it positioned in such a way that I could leave the flip-top open and not have the water leak out until I squeezed my legs together. I could then direct the stream of water to the chiefs leg while I told him that I was having a wet dream about his sister at this very moment. My planning paid off and the chief was left with a wet leg and was laughing hysterically.

I worked there in 1975, which was definitely the last year that the camp was open. I worked in the office and ran the canteen that summer. That wonderful clear cream soda was Kern's also known as E.L. Kern's from Trenton, NJ. There was a picture of an elk head on the bottle which was based on the founders initials. They also had a red cream soda. I was fortunate enough to bunk next to the main office, the room to the left of it, along with the water safety instructor. I think his name was David Pfeifer. He didn't stay for the entire summer so I had the room pretty much to myself. I also had electricity and plumbing. John Sherry was the director and Mr. Bigley was the assistant director. Mr Bigley's wife was the camp nurse. Camp enrollment had dropped drastically the last few years of it being open because of the dam issue. Once Red Bridge and the dam were wiped out, it spelled the end of paradise for Camp Columbus. The Cub village was closed the last year so the Senior village was divided to accommodate them. The only cabin open in the Cub village was cabin 18. Me and my friend Danny Ratyniak had opened it up as a nature cabin. We moved all the cages from the Rec (Recreation) Hall over to it. Danny was another long time camper who was a worker the last two years that the camp was open. We would fill the cages with banded water snakes, hognose snakes, pine snakes, green tree snakes and the occasional king snake. We learned quickly that the king snakes had to be kept separate from the others after witnessing the voracious appetite they possessed for water snakes. That's why they're called king snakes I guess. We also had an assortment of turtles, (box, painted, spotted), fence lizards, frogs and toads. The only rattle snake I ever saw as a camper was a dead one that was thrown out of a moving van window by some locals on Good Luck Road just before the van crashed and rolled over. There was always a little tension in the air between some of the locals and the camp.

Hail-oh Hail-oh Camp Columbus
in the Jersey pines
Boys will wander here forever
Hail Columbus hail
As we go along life's journeys we will think of you
and the fun we had at Bamber and the friendships true
Softly falls the light of day
as our campfire fades away
Silently each boy should ask
have I done my daily task
Have I kept my honor bright
can I guiltless rest tonight
Have I done and have I dared
everything to be prepared

To the best of my recollection that's the way the song went. I also believe that it was to the tune of "O Christmas tree"

It was so wonderful to find this site. Camp Columbus was a major influence in my life as a artist, naturalist and educator and my brother Bill's as well. He was also a camper and worked as a counselor in 1973, cabin 13. The lake was full in 1973. The dam was destroyed after August of '73 and before June of '74.
1974 was the first year of the pools. They were erected next to the basketball courts in the Cub Village. More to come....Plus pictures!
I don't know how well the picture I've attached will look but the 3rd kid from the right bottom row has a pine snake around his neck that my brother caught. The kids name was Joey Lackiwicz (?). I'm the short kid in a football jersey 9th from the left on the back row standing. My brother is 1st on the right back row (jean jacket) next to the big afro. What memories!