The Fox

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The Lake View Inn. Is that the little joint that is directly across 530 from the North Lakeshore Road entrance? Did that become an auto parts store or small restaurant?

Do you remember Kay's Gift shop? I remember wandering around in there. It was setup with flea market tables throughout the lower floor.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
The Little place across from N. Lakeshore or Club House rd. was called JC's if I remember rite. It's still there don't know the name rite now??
I believe the people who are there now used to own the old Drilo's (sp) Tavern (burned down some 20 yrs ago) that was in Allentown NJ. on Yardville Allentown rd..

The LakeView is more toward the S. Lakeshore side. on Lakehurst rd./rt.530.
I forgot to mention that:
The Pig and Whistle is still there, been owned by Indians for about the last 10 years. I haven't been there in a few years now since they don't carry what I prefer to drink.:guinness: They now mostly cater to the local stumble bums who hang in the woods behind there. Before they changed hands there was a large woman and a small skinny guy that were always working there. I thought that's where the name came from. LOL But have since found out that place has had the same name some 35+ years.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
A Tavern, and a family connection

Here goes, in the interest of Sue's suggestion, I'll give you a Tavern story. If one was to be travelling South down route 73 in the Blue Anchor section, right at the little intersection where Blue Anchor road comes in to 73 you would pass a forlorn old foundation on your right just before the fire tower. Almost across from Saint Lucy's Church.
If you were to pass it you might miss the little plaque on the stone more easily seen if you were coming off Blue Anchor road. It gives you a little something on the Tavern. I was out at the tavern site with Son Sam on Sunday. It's pretty overgrown so I was not rooting through Ivy to expose the sign but you can make out the steps clear as day even though some gnarley trees stand as sentinels that prohibit entrance. More intimidating than some Bar Bouncers I've run into. To go up the hill and peak from the back you will see some rotted cars buried in overgrowth about where the bar would have been. As you look around the area you will see where the twisted wildwoods of the region reclaimed their rite of the grounds. It is actually breath taking as you stand mere feet away from a major highway yet within the walls (so to speak) of such a place . Even by today's standards this joint was huge. It better have been, it played a huge role in the region's history. This readers is the Blue Anchor Tavern/Inn. I use that dual term because over 280+ years it has been called both. Makes for tricky research because of the also named Blue Anchor Tavern/Inn that is in Burlington. In either case history repeats itself in the undecided distinction between an Inn or Tavern. One other person on this site probably has more input than myself on this so I'll not give too much information that may be innacurate as I hate to do so. Seems the one in Burlington had significant political history attached. Here's some basics derived from articles and such. Sometime very soon after 1726, likely within a couple years this Tavern was constructed. Seems mills & Taverns were the two most popular business ventures at the time. It was a big bugger. I do not know the name of the original family of ownership. Wence Winslow became a real town in March 1845, the first town meeting was held there whilst under the ownership of Josiah Albertson, of a family name common to the area and local Mills. Two things: very cool that Blue Anchor, now a part of Winslow predates it and... would ya'll be inclined to come to more town meetings if at a Tavern?
I have some names relating to the area from the Shreeve Cemetary nearby. I'm not much of a cemetary scouter so I'll take what I read online. Seems there is a stone referencing a Josiah Albertson passed in 1857 aged 85 years. I may assume this was him. Also in the list are other common names to the area, Chew, Graham, Davis, Bishop, and of course, Heggan (I'll come back to that). That this establishment predated Winslow and lasted into the 1900's amazes me. I have always been fond of history of Waterford, Hammonton, Braddock, Blue Anchor, Bates Mill, etc.
Here however is the connection. (Bet you were wondering what the Hell I was getting to) I am derived on my mother's side from Heggans. This area is sick with them and their runoff. Ask most any older Heggan and they'll tell you, " We're all Heggans when you look back far enough". In the early 1900's the Blue Anchor Inn (as it was firmly called then) was owned and operated by my Great Grandfather, Oswald Heggan. He had six children all of which as family lived above the Inn as every family had before. They were: Oswald (my grandfather), Thomas, Francis, Hellen, Rita, and a last sadly my mother can not recall as this one while at a young age was struck and killed by a car coming across the two lane highway (today's Rt 73) from a social at St. Lucy's. So that's it, my own connection to an real historic area tavern probably keeping secrets and tales within it's tired foundations the likes of which Foxy herself could never compare. According to my Mom, you can still buy commemorative glasses for the old Blue Anchor Inn at the Historical society on Cooper Road & 73 but they seem never to be open, save their monthly meeting. Well, that's it, my usual ramblings. Hope someone found it interesting. Anyone out there have some good additional information if inclined or even correct me on some of the material I wrote, feel free. I await to be humbled, one reason I kept low on details I could not at least 90% feel good about putting in print.
Thanks for reading.

G.

Attachments

• TAVERN.jpg
    TAVERN.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 471

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very neat story George. It's easy to get that sad, melanchololy feeling at ruins like that, but in your case, with the family tie, even more so.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
The Lake View Inn. Is that the little joint that is directly across 530 from the North Lakeshore Road entrance? Did that become an auto parts store or small restaurant?

Do you remember Kay's Gift shop? I remember wandering around in there. It was setup with flea market tables throughout the lower floor.

I went into the Lakeview in once before they closed it down. Not much happening in there went I went in. I have very little recollection of the experience. A few people playing pool. Not much of an impression I guess.

Jeff

One other person on this site probably has more input than myself on this so I'll not give too much information that may be innacurate as I hate to do so. Anyone out there have some good additional information if inclined or even correct me on some of the material I wrote, feel free. I await to be humbled, one reason I kept low on details I could not at least 90% feel good about putting in print.
Thanks for reading. G.

George:

Thank you for the story and you did just fine with the facts as you know them.

The first known person to establish a tavern at the Blue Anchor site was John Hider, who erected a cedar log cabin in 1740, obtained a tavern license, and began dispensing libations to weary travelers. Subsequent tavern keepers included Richard Fry (prior to 1752), John Briant, and Richard Mattocks or Mattox (1762). The last-named host devised the establishment to his son-in-law, Josiah Albertson. Reportedly Albertson erected the well-known hostelry in 1812 which stood into the twentieth century. You are correct: the building was quite large! When Josiah lost interest in tending the tavern himself, he leased the stand out to others, including Uziel Barford, John A. Duble, and John I. Brick. As you note, your great grandfather was the last tavern keeper for this place.

Josiah Albertson died in Evesham Township at the age of 89 on 4 October 1859, so you might want to double-check that gravemarker.

The Historic American Building Survey folks recorded the Blue Anchor Inn and the information can be found here:

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hhh.nj0391

Other activities at Blue Anchor and Ancora included a Spiritualist community.
Here is the story:

In July 1866, Dr. George Haskell of Rockford, Illinois and his associates, Thomas W. Taylor, Josiah W. Spaulding, William and Timothy B. White, Teazon O. English, George W. Robbins Christopher Wilson, Betsy Savery, A.C. Stiles and Milo A. Townsend the last-named from New Brighton, Pennsylvania) formed the Blue Anchor Land Improvement Company. They purchased part or all (this unclear at this point in time) of the so-called "Blue Anchor Tract," which its owner, Josiah Albertson, proprietor of the Blue Anchor Inn previously sold to Levi Dickson. Dickson paid $4,500 for the land, but sold it to Haskell and his associates for $13,000. The land was divided into small and large building lots; up behind the Blue Anchor Inn was an area called "The Farm," but most of building lots actually sold were located in the "Anchora" section of Winslow Township. The improvement company sought to create "the seat of a Spiritualistic community, and with the purpose of building up a village after the pattern of Vineland" (Prowell 1886:697).

Milo Townsend, who served as the company's treasurer, wrote a prospectus for the new community:

[beginning of quote]
A Progressive Settlement is now forming on that superior tract of land long known as Blue Anchor, twenty-five miles from Philadelphia, fronting on the Camden and Atlantic Railroad in Camden Co., New Jersey.

It is the purpose of the founders of this village and settlement, and of those thus far cooperating, not to repeat the old system of things that exists in the towns and cities of the world based on antagonism, speculation and fraud, whence result poverty, want and misery on the one side and monopoly, affluence and extravagance on the other with happiness on neither; as soon as practicable to institute Attractive Cooperative Industry in all
the various branches of Agriculture, Horticulture, Manufacturing, Mechanics and the Arts. Here then is a golden opportunity for Philanthropists and the Friends of Progress to realize--in the proper development of this splendid domain of four thousand acres--a higher, a nobler and a more harmonious state of society and to found institutions worthy of the age and in response to the deep yearnings and aspirations of universal humanity.

One of the specific objects sought by the projectors of this movement is the establishment of a self-sustaining Industrial College, incorporating therein, on a large scale, the essential elements of the Children's Progressive Lyceum as inaugurated by Andrew Jackson Davis. For this purpose three hundred acres of and are held in reserve. A unitary Palace, Model Homes, a Cooperative Store, a Hygienic Institute, a Lecturers' Retreat, and Children's Play Grounds are also contemplated. These are some of the features distinguishing this Settlement from Hammonton, Vineland and other places.

Persons could now engage to advantage upon the grounds in such branches of industry as manufacturing Shoes, Baskets, Kegs, Barrels, Boxes, Clothing, Earthen Ware, Brick, Pocket Books, &c, &c. A large Steam Mill is now in successful operation; also an extensive Greenhouse and several private residences of unique design are being erected on Central Avenue.

The lands are furnished at lower rates than any of similar quality and eligibility in the State. Those wishing further information are earnestly requested to visit the place rather than rely upon the meager knowledge to be obtained through correspondence. Those to whom this is, at the present impracticable, may address the undersigned at Blue Anchor, Camden Co., New Jersey. The route from Philadelphia is from the foot of Vine Street to Winslow Station, which is two miles from Blue Anchor village. March 29, 1867 Milo A. Townsend.
[end of quote]

New residents began arriving from such places as Wheeling, West Virginia; Millbury, Massachusetts; New Brighton, Pennsylvania; and Quincy, Illinois. Spiritualist reformists tenets included physiological reform, which included being ardent temperance followers, abstaining from all alcohol; the emancipation of Women; Theological and Ecclesiastical reform; and social reform. During the antebellum period, Spiritualists were very active in the abolitionist movement and after the Civil War supported equal treatment of African-American.

Townsend became disillusioned with the community and, I perceive, George Haskell, within about a year and returned to New Brighton. Haskell evidently did not permanently relocate to "Anchora" until the early 1870s. However, the Industrial College spoken of by Townsend did become a reality, probably during 1868; it was built along the White Horse Pike very close to the Blue Anchor Inn. By 1877, the school was still going strong under the control of Philadelphia Spiritualist A.E. Newton. It is unknown at this time when the school actually closed. The Spiritualist community fell apart after Haskell's death in the late 1870s. Regarding the "private residences of unique design" referred to in Townsend's prospectus, there is a tantalizing source that indicates these houses may have been octagonal in shape.

Blue Anchor or Anchora (as the Spiritualists named it; now Ancora) was not the only Spiritualist utopian community in this area--similar developments occurred in North Hammonton (now Elm), begun by New England Spiritualists; Atco; Hammonton, where there was a very active Spiritualist "church"; and also in several other South Jersey communities.

Sorry, everyone, for my absence from these forums, but work has been crushing lately. For those of you who have PM'd me, I have not forgotten your questions and comments and I will respond as time permits.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very interesting Jerseyman. I wonder why those two became disillusioned after only one year, especially with people pouring in from all over?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
All,
Threw up a few pics in my gallery of the Fox. Please remember these are rough scans of Cheapie camera shots. The lighting of the Fox seemed to fight me as well. Hmmmmm. Hope they at least get the point across.
Makes you really wonder if the place isn't just a specter itself.
Did the three of us really meet the Fox?
g.

Lumpy Bottom

Nov 12, 2007
This is great!!!! Thanks for all the details. i gotta get back there. Did she give any details about the car? Is that rumor that a mob guy was killed in it true?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
This is great!!!! Thanks for all the details. i gotta get back there. Did she give any details about the car? Is that rumor that a mob guy was killed in it true?

B/S

One day, she drove it in, parked it and decided not to drive anymore.
That's the story from the lady, Scott can attest. Some things just simply aren't all that mysterious when you actually get down to it. Sorry.

g.

Lumpy Bottom

Nov 12, 2007
B/S

One day, she drove it in, parked it and decided not to drive anymore.
That's the story from the lady, Scott can attest. Some things just simply aren't all that mysterious when you actually get down to it. Sorry.

g.

I hear ya. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2006
Here goes, in the interest of Sue's suggestion, I'll give you a Tavern story. If one was to be travelling South down route 73 in the Blue Anchor section, right at the little intersection where Blue Anchor road comes in to 73 you would pass a forlorn old foundation on your right just before the fire tower. Almost across from Saint Lucy's Church.
If you were to pass it you might miss the little plaque on the stone more easily seen if you were coming off Blue Anchor road. It gives you a little something on the Tavern. I was out at the tavern site with Son Sam on Sunday. It's pretty overgrown so I was not rooting through Ivy to expose the sign but you can make out the steps clear as day even though some gnarley trees stand as sentinels that prohibit entrance. More intimidating than some Bar Bouncers I've run into. To go up the hill and peak from the back you will see some rotted cars buried in overgrowth about where the bar would have been. As you look around the area you will see where the twisted wildwoods of the region reclaimed their rite of the grounds. It is actually breath taking as you stand mere feet away from a major highway yet within the walls (so to speak) of such a place . Even by today's standards this joint was huge. It better have been, it played a huge role in the region's history. This readers is the Blue Anchor Tavern/Inn. I use that dual term because over 280+ years it has been called both. Makes for tricky research because of the also named Blue Anchor Tavern/Inn that is in Burlington. In either case history repeats itself in the undecided distinction between an Inn or Tavern. One other person on this site probably has more input than myself on this so I'll not give too much information that may be innacurate as I hate to do so. Seems the one in Burlington had significant political history attached. Here's some basics derived from articles and such. Sometime very soon after 1726, likely within a couple years this Tavern was constructed. Seems mills & Taverns were the two most popular business ventures at the time. It was a big bugger. I do not know the name of the original family of ownership. Wence Winslow became a real town in March 1845, the first town meeting was held there whilst under the ownership of Josiah Albertson, of a family name common to the area and local Mills. Two things: very cool that Blue Anchor, now a part of Winslow predates it and... would ya'll be inclined to come to more town meetings if at a Tavern?
I have some names relating to the area from the Shreeve Cemetary nearby. I'm not much of a cemetary scouter so I'll take what I read online. Seems there is a stone referencing a Josiah Albertson passed in 1857 aged 85 years. I may assume this was him. Also in the list are other common names to the area, Chew, Graham, Davis, Bishop, and of course, Heggan (I'll come back to that). That this establishment predated Winslow and lasted into the 1900's amazes me. I have always been fond of history of Waterford, Hammonton, Braddock, Blue Anchor, Bates Mill, etc.
Here however is the connection. (Bet you were wondering what the Hell I was getting to) I am derived on my mother's side from Heggans. This area is sick with them and their runoff. Ask most any older Heggan and they'll tell you, " We're all Heggans when you look back far enough". In the early 1900's the Blue Anchor Inn (as it was firmly called then) was owned and operated by my Great Grandfather, Oswald Heggan. He had six children all of which as family lived above the Inn as every family had before. They were: Oswald (my grandfather), Thomas, Francis, Hellen, Rita, and a last sadly my mother can not recall as this one while at a young age was struck and killed by a car coming across the two lane highway (today's Rt 73) from a social at St. Lucy's. So that's it, my own connection to an real historic area tavern probably keeping secrets and tales within it's tired foundations the likes of which Foxy herself could never compare. According to my Mom, you can still buy commemorative glasses for the old Blue Anchor Inn at the Historical society on Cooper Road & 73 but they seem never to be open, save their monthly meeting. Well, that's it, my usual ramblings. Hope someone found it interesting. Anyone out there have some good additional information if inclined or even correct me on some of the material I wrote, feel free. I await to be humbled, one reason I kept low on details I could not at least 90% feel good about putting in print.
Thanks for reading.

G.

Sorry i just got to this George but the story of the Blue Anchor Tavern is very heartwarming, thanks for posting and sharing this.

Jim

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I've been told that there were over 30 bars in Browns Mills at one time several decades ago.Wyatt Earps was where the new MacDonalds is located.It was one of the real piney bars.There were even dog pens outside.Advanced Auto is on the site of the old MacDonalds which is where The original Pig and Whistle stood for many years until it burned down.Its now a liquor store in the WaWa plaza.El Rancho was bought by a friend of mine who tore it down and built a new bar farther back on the property.Lakeview Inn closed and was supposed to become a restaurant with rooftop dining with a view of Mirror Lake,but so far nothing has happened.Speakeasy/LaShiek/someother name I can't remember was sold and became a funeral home.Probably the biggest bar in town started as The Sunset View Inn and featured nationally known musicians.Tammy Wynette and Goerge Jones to Blue Oyster Cult,Lowell George played there,went to N.Y. afterwards and died of an O.D. of drugs.Whenever I tell someone I live in Browns Mills they often tell a story about a drunken trip involving one of these bars.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
My dad and I stopped at the Fox for a drink tonight. It was our first time there. Memorable. The old man was hoping to get lucky with an aged bottle of Benedictine and Brandy, but had to settle for some merlot. I opted for a Yuengeng Black&Tan. Foxy seemed a bit stand-offish at first, but soon became very personable. A good time, although we were only there for 20 minutes.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I've been told that there were over 30 bars in Browns Mills at one time several decades ago.Wyatt Earps was where the new MacDonalds is located.It was one of the real piney bars.There were even dog pens outside.Advanced Auto is on the site of the old MacDonalds which is where The original Pig and Whistle stood for many years until it burned down.Its now a liquor store in the WaWa plaza.El Rancho was bought by a friend of mine who tore it down and built a new bar farther back on the property.Lakeview Inn closed and was supposed to become a restaurant with rooftop dining with a view of Mirror Lake,but so far nothing has happened.Speakeasy/LaShiek/someother name I can't remember was sold and became a funeral home.Probably the biggest bar in town started as The Sunset View Inn and featured nationally known musicians.Tammy Wynette and Goerge Jones to Blue Oyster Cult,Lowell George played there,went to N.Y. afterwards and died of an O.D. of drugs.Whenever I tell someone I live in Browns Mills they often tell a story about a drunken trip involving one of these bars.

How old are you oj? You must have lived there a long time. I remember when Lowell George played at the Sunset. I saw Southside Johnny there (if my memory serves me)--I remember it more cause it was the night all my tools got stolen outta my jeep. I remember the great late Chuck Berry did a nite there too.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Bobpbx,I moved to Browns Mills IN 1966 when I was 5yo.A painter I worked with in his 60s told me about the Lowell George concert. My parents went to see George Jones and Tammy Wynette. The biggest crowd there was for Big El after Elvis died. I also heard that Springsteen played at B.C.C. In response to your earlier post I have been to Kays Gift Shop. The owner was Kay Stull who was one of our town historians. She lived here from 1918 until her death last year at the age of 104. The store closed in the early 70s and has been restored and turned into a bank.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bobpbx,I moved to Browns Mills IN 1966 when I was 5yo.A painter I worked with in his 60s told me about the Lowell George concert. My parents went to see George Jones and Tammy Wynette. The biggest crowd there was for Big El after Elvis died. I also heard that Springsteen played at B.C.C. In response to your earlier post I have been to Kays Gift Shop. The owner was Kay Stull who was one of our town historians. She lived here from 1918 until her death last year at the age of 104. The store closed in the early 70s and has been restored and turned into a bank.

Okay....I dig. You have been in the area a long time, but are younger than me by a few years. I moved into PL in 1965 when I was 11. I remember Bruce playing at the college. I was in a different state on business that week, but as I said on a different post I saw him at the Satellite Lounge in 74 or so. Do you remember the other thrift store down 530 towards Country Lakes? Had clothing and thinks like that. Very cramped.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Hey, where was this Sunset View Inn? Never heard of that one. LaShiek was a drug infested hole, just like Crystal Palace Bar was in Mt. Holly. Has anyone ever heard of that one? That bar was down under like someone's basement bar. There was a group of us who worked at New Lisbon D. Center who would frequent these bars.
I revisited Wrightstown a few weeks back, what a sad trip. Most everything boarded up and ready to be pushed to the ground. Only bars there now are Kellys and what used to be the old Pioneer Bar which is now called Nite Dippers. Even all the motels look vacant. This town is almost like a vist to the New Egypt Market on a closed day. I only went to the Satellite a few times, once to see Molly Hatchet. I guess the Obies Bar is still there. I used to call it O Beats. I knew an old piney clan that beat the phone booth to peices with brass knuckles outside of Obies, a long, long time ago.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
30 bars?

30 bars in Browns Mills sounds like alot even way back then. But look at New Orleans, the city really isn't that big and it holds over 300 bars. If you counted the outskirts, I bet it would reach 500. I love it there and visit every chance I get. Even have my Louisiana nursing license. In 3 years that is where I plan to move. The things that go on there today, make the old time piney stuff seem small in comparison.