Give me a list of "Must See's"

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
Give me a list of "Must See's"... please..

hello all.. I don't know if i've said this, but the NJ Pine Barrens (their history, flora, fauna, etc) is one of the last mutual interests I have w/ my father. he's newer to it that I am, but he reads all the books..

could we compile a list on here of "must see's" that he and I could find / explore together ? we've been to places like hampton furnace, caranza memorial, the landing gear at bear swamp hill, spring hill, apple pie hill, the recycled bridge .. to name a few.

he is 70 yrs old. get around great.. pees a lot (that's not a problem in the pines.).. he likes to fish too (me as well), but he's not a very confident fisherman, and doesn't have much faith in himself at new locations... i want to show him Parkdale as soon as possible. but i'm looking for a list of others..

just simple posts w/ ideas. that's all. GPS's coords optional.. directions helpful. thanks so much all.. i have a 4x4 Ranger that gets around well in the sandy roads, etc.. cheers.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
The view from Forked River Mountains. The ruins at Friendship, and Washington. The Brooksbrae ruins west of Woodmansie Rd. The ruins of Amatol. The old pumping station on the river north of Martha. The ruins of Ogden Nash's cabin. The pit at Old Halfway. The abandoned railroad trestle off Rider's Switch south of Hampton. The masses of blueberry bushes lining the road from Washington to Hawkin Bridge. The ruins at Atsion.

Just a few thoughts. Let me know if directions to any of these are needed.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
hey mark. have seen the ruins at friendship and atsion..

where is this : The abandoned railroad trestle off Rider's Switch south of Hampton.

is that the trestle just south of quaker bridge road, that crosses the mullica river ? we've been there.. thanks a bunch man.. i'll be putting this adventure together soon and if i need directions, i'll kindly ask for them.. cheers. thanks.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Parkdale is a place to see. There's a small trestle bridge there, too.
The ruins at Harrisville and Martha are pretty cool. Easy trips for
your father could be Batsto or Whitesbogs Villages.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
despite his age, Dad doesn't have too much trouble getting around.. getting him out of the house is the real challenge.. I would really like to find all the train trestles in the PB's.. so far, the only one we have seen is the one south of quaker bridge road, that crosses the mullica river.. how many are there ? also, this is an ideal time to do these things, as he's a bit finicky in tick and chigger season :jd:

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Bob, an easy trestle to see is the one that crosses Cedar Creek. You come in from the Lanoka Harbor side and you can drive right up to it.
Another is in Lakehurst, under Rt. 70. I think they are a monument to the engineering that went into their design, considering the loads that went across them.
Tom

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
hey mark. have seen the ruins at friendship and atsion..

where is this : The abandoned railroad trestle off Rider's Switch south of Hampton.

is that the trestle just south of quaker bridge road, that crosses the mullica river ? we've been there.. thanks a bunch man.. i'll be putting this adventure together soon and if i need directions, i'll kindly ask for them.. cheers. thanks.

Right here: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=39.755059,-74.679286&spn=0.011168,0.021522&t=h&z=16

If you scroll out a bit you'll see that its an easy drive down from the Hampton Village clearing, and then a short walk over to the trestle. The center of the trestle has been planked to make it easy to walk on.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is the one over the Albertson Branch.

Bridge.JPG

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
While at Parkdale head down to this bridge. It is a big one.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.69...5458&spn=0.01207,0.025685&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr
You can access it off of 206 using Union Road to Fleming Pike. Park at the curve and walk the tracks to it. We go there often and eat lunch on it.
Guy

My favorite Trestle , and a friend of my youth. From Parkdale, if you're already there it's not super close but it's a darn site easier to follow/drive Burnt House South to the Fleming, cross Chew and take the Fleming right to Iron Mill Bridge over Albertson's branch. (you will have actually crossed over the tracks twice believe it or not, Fleming is on the East & West of the track)Parking there and walking East to the tracks just about a 100 yards you hit the tracks just North of the bridge within site of it. All this will get you there about the same time if not sooner from Parkdale than by way of 206 and the scenery is much better! You will have that same remoteness and view of the water but be much closer to your vehicle(good for dad) and get to see the bridge too!

g.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
this is awesome.. i never knew there were so many. i thought the one crossing the mullica was the only one (ignorant me).. i heard that's a BIG one though..

any one interested in a "trestle tour" ? to any dual sporters out there, are these accessible by bike ? (i.e. to link a tour together). or would you have too much pavement involvement to get to the next one (consecutively).. me knobbies no like pavement.. OR.. i could go via truck.. i think i'll need to learn the names of these dirt roads - you guys throw them around like nothing.. :confused:

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
any one interested in a "trestle tour" ? to any dual sporters out there, are these accessible by bike ? (i.e. to link a tour together). or would you have too much pavement involvement to get to the next one (consecutively).. me knobbies no like pavement.. OR.. i could go via truck.. i think i'll need to learn the names of these dirt roads - you guys throw them around like nothing.. :confused:

That is a fascinating thought. It's a commitment though. Most of the Trestles that are mentioned here you will find are actually on the Trail the Blue Comet took and are probably the most interesting. Yes, the one at Atsion is in magnificent shape and higher off the water than most.
Here's my kids pondering it's wonders
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/419/medium/KIDS_BRIDGE.jpg
I suppose starting with the one over RT 30 in Elm (that's where it really picks up the Pines) and heading North you could do one heck of a run beyond even a PBX jaunt. Miles of track dude, through mediums that change constantly. Forget a truck unless you just wanted to get from one to another location which is probably practical but involves your pavement between concept. You could walk your tour but now you're in to what would be quite a hike.
I would think you'd get so caught up in other goodies along the way it would hijack your tour. Your bike might get you to a number of places but you'd be carrying it often.
Do it your own way and make a project of it. It'll be fun.
I will say... I have covered one hell of a lot of it straight up farther than I might mention. There is one way that gets it done the whole trip, trestles and all with plenty of time for sightseeing.
The following is just thinking hypothetical like.
A Honda 250X fits nicely between the rails and once you get used to that rythmic bump over the ties and deal with a couple of trees here and there, it's all pure joy. Your forearms will be tired though. Oh, and that missing tie on the Sleeper trestle, makes for a very interesting crossing.
Oh, I forgot... ATV's aren't allowed. Guess you'll have to take the long way.

g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And there always is the famous “Bridge 74.” This is the bridge that washed out during the rainstorm on 8/19/1939 when the derailment of the Blue Comet occurred. It is a three span wooden trestle 59 feet long. It was rebuilt quite hastily and you can see that they used cement as filler around the bridge. It is quite interesting to see.

The bridge with the “stopper” in the distance. The stopper apparently was placed there by Garfield DeMarco to keep ATV’s from riding the tracks.

Bridge74and%20RR%20Stopper.JPG

And the material used to rebuild it.

IMG_5695.JPG

And there also are two small bridges between Atsion and the Batsto that can be accessed off the road from Atsion to Hampton.

You should be busy for awhile :)

EDIT: Bridge 74 is located here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.813050,-74.544760&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Be interesting to do a hike straight up the right of way from Atsion, perhaps not as far as Chatsworth (12 mi. I think), but a good part of the way.

I have done most of it. Found quite a few interesting things.

Guy

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
i would be up for such a hike.. or even starting down lower, around chew rd.. make it a multi day thing.. now is probably the time of yr to tackle it.. Dad will sit this one out..

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I got to this thread a little late. Looks like you got alot of info Bob! I hope you have alot of fun out there with your dad. I'll hook you up with a few more fishing spots as the weather gets a little warmer. Or if you want to risk some real sluggish fish I'll give them to you now.

Jeff

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
hey jeff, i think i can wait till the water warms up. i never have any luck in the winter.. let them have their rest.. i think i saw a picture of you w/ afish.. backwards hat and camo pants ? (You.. not the fish.. haha)..