Give me a list of "Must See's"

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
All:

Thanx for the info on the 2nd rails. I thought they were something to keep the cars stable and on track.
Sorry about asking questions you folks have probably discussed before, but I'm fairly new and with 45k+ posts on board, it's difficult to for me to find what's been discussed and what hasn't. Thanx for your patience.

Bob:

From where you left Clark's on Chew Rd., go right instead of left. At the tracks that cross Chew, make a left on Fleming Pike, go 1.3 miles (staying on the main path) 'til you get to the lone tree in the middle of a clearing, BEFORE CROSSING THE DRIVING BRIDGE. Make a left at the thinner trail and park at the bend. Tracks will be right there, and the trestle is about 200 yards to the south (to the right). Hope this helps.

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
O.K.

I will be giving you more detailed instruction than I gave YETI since we will likely be going out together soon. It is really not that hard.

g.

You act like Bob, Baron, and myself keep asking the same questions over and over and over and.........

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, that already seems like a high bid for a volume published less than twenty years ago. Is it so rare?

It is no longer in print, so if you want it I guess it could be considered rare.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
You act like Bob, Baron, and myself keep asking the same questions over and over and over and.........

You may ask the same question as long as you'd like. I've only got but so many offerings in the vast array of info here. See Ya soon.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
A little enlightenment

Met up with YETI this eve' for a walk on the Albertson Trestle and a little look at Iron Mill. The evening was brisk but the conversation good. The boys loved it. I felt like I spent more time minding their antics than sharing history with YETI. We arrived right at the site of the Iron Mills
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/419/medium/ARRIVAL.JPG
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/419/medium/READY_TO_GO.JPG
We walked the short distance to the trackbed where I've indicated you can step on and see the Trestle.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/419/medium/ENTER_TRACK_BED.JPG
I will say that on the ride in and on the walk I was a little bummed by the stink of the controlled burn recently done.
It is a pleasure sharing info with folks and being able to give all the details of the little tributaries and the roles they play as well as the placement and functionality of the Mill itself. Fortunately YETI is a good listener eager to know details. A little look at the Albertson West.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/419/medium/CHOKED.JPG
I neglected to get a decent shot of that nice little East turn after the Trestle. It really is a pleasant spot. A little look at the trestle without the snow in Guy's shot.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/419/medium/ALBERTSON_NORTH.JPG
A look at the removed section of the rails.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/419/medium/TRACKS_END.JPG
It is amazing how much all this changed since even my youth, much less my father's, and before him and so on. YETI & I discussed the age of the forests and the relevance of the effects of the milling over time.
My boys basically did what boys do the whole time.
It is sad to see the kinds of trash deposited. There was not one thing out there that couldn't be put out for normal trash. Why?
Not to blend threads but we discussed this topic. I do not want to insult some folks but the sweeping generalities given to certain vehicles annoys me. Here we go, plain folk with plain intent and because one of us has this big A** truck and gets some dirt & mud on it, he may get looked at. This is the part that just doesn't make sense. Should this guy be chased down and reported for tearing up with a little mud on his truck?
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/419/medium/DIRTY.JPG
An example of extremes when profiling 4x4 guys.
All in all a great eve' just to kick around and share info. The only sad part was that while waiting for YETI to meet me I saw a vehicle heaped with pure crap obviously headed out to dump. They became visibly nervous of my presense and hesitated before leaving and with three dudes in the truck and me alone with my youngins', should I have called them on it? I may have knowing that YETI was a minute away but they split promptly, he passed them on his way in and no doubt they dumped their crap elsewhere.
Or maybe they got spooked & went home. One can hope.
I wish YETI luck in his pursuit of the Clark & Sleeper trestles.
Those I will let him explore on his own.

g.

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
Largo thanks again for the history lesson on the Iron Mill, Albertson trestle, and the area in general. I am looking foward too bringing my wife and girls to Albertson and the Clark and Sleeper trestles. I felt bad about being a couple of minutes late but as it turned out your prescence at the tracks on Chew could have prevented possible dumping in the woods. Funny how that worked out. It was also cool having your boys along for the ride. Excellent night out in the Pines.

Paul

Guy, that already seems like a high bid for a volume published less than twenty years ago. Is it so rare?

Well, let's see, Mark:

The book had a 2000 copy press-run and was officially out-of-print at the end of 2004—and it’s a book that will never be reprinted!! It is and will remain the definitive history of the Central Railroad of New Jersey’s New Jersey Southern Division and the Pine Barrens it served (as well as the coastal resorts, the oyster industry, etc.). A certain someone had five copies to sell at the Lines on the Pines event for $200 each and that person sold three out of the five, so, yes, if you can acquire it for a lesser price, I highly recommend you do so.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report and photos George. It amazes me also how alot of what has been dumped could have been thrown out in the regular trash. Hopefully those dudes with the trash headed home (doubtful though).

Jeff

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Well, let's see, Mark:

The book had a 2000 copy press-run and was officially out-of-print at the end of 2004—and it’s a book that will never be reprinted!! It is and will remain the definitive history of the Central Railroad of New Jersey’s New Jersey Southern Division and the Pine Barrens it served (as well as the coastal resorts, the oyster industry, etc.). A certain someone had five copies to sell at the Lines on the Pines event for $200 each and that person sold three out of the five, so, yes, if you can acquire it for a lesser price, I highly recommend you do so.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Well now I know :). If it's a sought-after niche volume then it's not surprising that it draws a good buck.

By the way, Folks—that certain someone still has those two copies of Trail of the Blue Comet for sale at $200 each and that ends all the copies they have for sale. The only other place I know that you can acquire the book is from Princeton Antiquarian Books in Atlantic City and his price is $250. So, if anyone is interested in purchasing the book and having it inscribed, please let me know and I will connect you up.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

P.S. My apologies, Ben, if this should actually be in the “Flea Market” section of the forums.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I posted the link so all the post are responding to that. It is where it is.

Guy

Maybe someone would want to bid on this. Lets see what it brings

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...Track=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us

Guy

Folks:

Final price on ebay for this copy of Trail of the Blue Comet: $163.50 plus 8.95 shipping plus insurance if requested. And this final bid amount for a copy with a slightly damaged dust jacket!! Makes the new ones still in shrink wrap look better all the time!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Folks:
Final price on ebay for this copy of Trail of the Blue Comet: $163.50 plus 8.95 shipping plus insurance if requested. And this final bid amount for a copy with a slightly damaged dust jacket!! Makes the new ones still in shrink wrap look better all the time!!
Best regards, Jerseyman

Jerseyman,
I sent you a P/M that I think I fubar'd.
I threw some bids at this for fun...
2 things, I have never bought on Ebay, only sold & intend to keep it so.
I never expected a buy because I though this was an inflated bid.
Your work shouldn't be peddled like something out back the Berlin auction.
My personal opinion, the "fellow" in posession of those two copies should keep em' tight. $400.00 ain't much compared to "never printed again".
These are not for the faint of heart. I personally know a true train enthusiast who has hesitated at the mention of a 200.00 book.
Those books have a home, and $$$ ain't the welcome matt on the doorstep.

g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Folks:

Quite a few bids on it. A popular item. I got a deal on mine for slightly over $100 and a signature to boot :):D

Guy