Give me a list of "Must See's"

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
Glad to see you found them. I usually save my track work for the summer when the woods are too dense to stone search. I will have to visit them again because I can't find the photo's.

Try going in off of 206 for the Albertson.

Guy

I will try from 206. Today we went through the woods and ended up on Rt. 30 in Hammonton. I think I will try after work one day this week since the days are longer.

Paul

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will try from 206. Today we went through the woods and ended up on Rt. 30 in Hammonton. I think I will try after work one day this week since the days are longer.

Paul

Remember, you will not see the bridge from the road. You have to walk to it. Take notice that just before the bridge someone has torched the track and removed one section of it. I am assuming they did that to keep anyone from taking a vehicle across it that will ride the rails. Jerseyman if I remember correctly went on a ride on the tracks in that area years ago on a train of some sorts that would fit on the rails. That would be impossible now. Maybe he can give some more details on that.

Guy

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Bridge 78

Yeti:

I was also in that area today. I walked from Quaker Bridge Rd to Stokes Rd but didn't find any trestles. All I found was a small concrete bridge. Maybe bridge #78 (???). See if you have any better luck on your next trip out there.

Bridge_78.jpg

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
how far would it be to walk the RR tracks from Atsion (at 206) to the center of chattsworth ? and how many trestles would I cross ? i need a good hike..

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
how far would it be to walk the RR tracks from Atsion (at 206) to the center of chattsworth ? and how many trestles would I cross ? i need a good hike..

Bob:

It is about 12 miles from Atsion to Chatsworth following the tracks. I believe you would cross 6 bridges, 5 of which I think are trestles. One of them might be broken, making a crossing there difficult. (See post#30). You may want to find out before you start.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
if anyone has any info on whether or not there is an "out" trestle b/t atsion and chattsworth, please let me know.. thanks.. and anyone that wants to join me on the above mentioned hike, please feel free to contact me, on the board or in a PM. cheers.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yeti:

I was also in that area today. I walked from Quaker Bridge Rd to Stokes Rd but didn't find any trestles. All I found was a small concrete bridge. Maybe bridge #78 (???). See if you have any better luck on your next trip out there.

I have not visited that one. So maybe that is why I don't have any photo's. It may be 78.

The tracks are out where Chatsworth Lake was used to flood Garfield DeMarco's bog. That location was called "Big Bertha" by the NJ Conservation Foundation when Bob and I were at the Parker Preserve dedication. You can get around it but the left side is dense woods so be prepared for that. The right side is the sandy hills from the dredging.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.80...568&spn=0.006239,0.012918&t=h&z=17&iwloc=addr

Guy

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
Yeti:

Bridge_78.jpg

Pine Baron, good picture. I'm still going to walk that area. We got to Stokes and called it the day. It was a long four hours of exploring and figured we would go back. That probably is 78.

Paul

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Remember, you will not see the bridge from the road. You have to walk to it. Take notice that just before the bridge someone has torched the track and removed one section of it. I am assuming they did that to keep anyone from taking a vehicle across it that will ride the rails. Jerseyman if I remember correctly went on a ride on the tracks in that area years ago on a train of some sorts that would fit on the rails. That would be impossible now. Maybe he can give some more details on that.
Guy

I filled in YETI on this today. He was so close. One turn away but too tight for his truck. You can park in the clearing at Iron Mill bridge, walk East on said small trail, be on the tracks in about 1 minute and be in site of the trestle as you look South. Took the group on last year's cleanup out there. Scott has picks. I am very familiar with that piece of torched track. Been missing since the late 80's. I visit that trestle oft. I have stated before, it is a favorite.

g.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
might take a ride out to parkdale tomorrow.. now if i come in from 206, and eventually cross over the tracks, which way do i go to find the trestle ?

also, anyone wanna go for a hike tomorrow afternoon ?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
might take a ride out to parkdale tomorrow.. now if i come in from 206, and eventually cross over the tracks, which way do i go to find the trestle ?
also, anyone wanna go for a hike tomorrow afternoon ?

O.K.,
I've given this info before...
Assuming you mean 206 and in to the trail by Dutchtown going in Westward, if you hit the road that does cross over to the Fleming Pike, then you can park and walk on the tracks a bit South of Parkdale proper to the Clark trestle, and a bit North of Parkdale proper to the Sleeper Trestle, both of which are quite forlorn. There are any number of fun ways but this is pretty direct. Look at it on TOPO-Z. It is pretty obvious.
Good luck, wish I could Join Ya!

g.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
thanks largo . i appreciate the repeat directions. i'll take my camera tomorrow and i'll post pictures if i find anything. it will be an afternoon of me, the 4x4 ranger, the fishing pole, and a ham and cheese sandwhich. great way to enjoy the afternoon off, w/ a bum wrist, in a splint... cheers..

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Pine Baron, good picture. I'm still going to walk that area. We got to Stokes and called it the day. It was a long four hours of exploring and figured we would go back. That probably is 78.

Paul

Yeti:

You were about a 5 minute walk from this bridge when you stopped at Stokes Rd. Go back and check it out. I didn't know there was a bridge over the Clark's Branch(thanx Largo). I'll try and find that and the Albertson crossing today after work and post the pics.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
Yeti:

You were about a 5 minute walk from this bridge when you stopped at Stokes Rd. Go back and check it out. I didn't know there was a bridge over the Clark's Branch(thanx Largo). I'll try and find that and the Albertson crossing today after work and post the pics.

AND DID HE EVER. i had just found the sleeper branch trestle, and was heading twds the "clark" one.. came around a bend, i see a vehicle coming up over the tracks. within the first 2 sentences, this strangers asks "are you bob?" the ham and cheese sandwhich was already gone, so it was either the 4x4 ranger or the wrist w/ the splint.. either way, i met "the Pine Baron".. and i saw both trestles.. now i have to find the albertson one.. that is "down rail" of th clarks one, correct largo ?

(For some reason i thought the sleeper branch one was going to be as long as the "sleeper bogs" along 206. i was thinking it was going to be huge.. it was still cool).. will post pictures later.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Bob:

Found the Albertson trestle after the Clark. Largo was right, what a great area, very isolated. Flushed 2 Mallards from under the bridge. Too dark for good pics. Probably go back this weekend. Cleaned up some trash on the way out and found a box turtle shell. The kids love it.(It pays to clean up, you find some pretty cool stuff).

Does anyone know why the larger train bridges(like the Mullica Br. and the Albertson Br.) have that 2nd set of tracks? Are they anti-sway rails or something else?

PS: Bob, it was the splint.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Does anyone know why the larger train bridges(like the Mullica Br. and the Albertson Br.) have that 2nd set of tracks? Are they anti-sway rails or something else?

We have discussed this before, but I can't remember what the final answer if any was. If you search the site you may come up with it. We were discussing the one at Atsion if I recall.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Bob, and Baron...
Glad you guys met up. That must have been cool. As you have read on other posts of mine on these you can see I've made sure to tell these two trestles were pretty small and a bit shambly. Kinda scary that trains crossed them. The one has a couple nice gaps in it.
Bob, the Albertson is a ways... down South of the Clark. Nice area to knock around in. As Baron stated, it is isolated. you can just about feel very remote and alone with yourself and be darn close to the roads, trails, etc. The Albertson Branch has a graceful turn on the East side of the trestle and one can still wade in there with the pants rolled up in summer like we did when we were kids. Might even throw a line in and come up with a little something on the end of your hook.
When you find it Bob, you will like it. Be sure to look at Iron Mill bridge and see the remains of the raceway. Hard to spot. Stand at that big ass Oak tree by the bridge and look down to the stream.
Baron, I always thought the second set of rails was to impede the train from derailing or "jumping track" off the trestles or over water on those longer spans.
Jerseyman will be your final answer on that one though.
That one over the Mullica in Atsion could be a killer.
Helluva great bridge though. It just doesn't feel..."remote"
Great posts guys!

g.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
We have discussed this before, but I can't remember what the final answer if any was. If you search the site you may come up with it. We were discussing the one at Atsion if I recall.

Guy

If you mean a set of what look like rails running inside the actual rails, then I think this are anti-derailing devices. Ones that have a frog at the ends are actually re-railers.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
I have pictures from yesterday.. Largo.. what's the best way to get to the albertson? walk down the tracks ? when Baron and I met up, were at the sandy intersection there where the RR tracks cross.. we walked up to the clark trestle. there was a dirt road heading in the direction of the tracks (down). if i take the road, will it bring me closer to the albertson one ? it's a must find for me now :dance:

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
O.K.
I don't think I'll be in any violation of forum direction rules but I really do not want to keep posting these directions so look for my P/M.
I will be giving you more detailed instruction than I gave YETI since we will likely be going out together soon. It is really not that hard.

g.