Apple Pie Hill Tower Smashed Again

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Made a trip out to Apple Pie Hill on Friday night and once again the tower was smashed. I know it's happed a couple times already, but this one looked pretty bad. The rangers, or whoever, left the light on I guess to try and keep people away and we could clearly see all the windows smashed and spray paint all over the place. There was some stuff smashed down below, but I'm not sure if that was from the tower. And there's usually stuff smashed down there all the time anyway, it could have been from a while ago. While up there, enjoying the view of the low lying clouds in the light from the tower, I also noticed that one of the crossmembers was almost completely cut in half from bolt cutters I guess. The door on the bottom was still locked, so I don't know if the kids climbed in around on the outside, or the rangers locked it back up. It's a shame. Eventually this tower is going to be knocked over, destoryed, or the state is going to take it down to keep from having to fix it. I think they should just put a huge fence around it and maybe you can go up when the rangers are there.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Too many roads. Put up some gates and make more areas accessible only to foot, bike, and horses. If people can drive there then it will be trashed. If it was just a quarter of a mile hike to the tower 90% of this would stop.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Made a trip out to Apple Pie Hill on Friday night and once again the tower was smashed. I know it's happed a couple times already, but this one looked pretty bad. The rangers, or whoever, left the light on I guess to try and keep people away and we could clearly see all the windows smashed and spray paint all over the place. There was some stuff smashed down below, but I'm not sure if that was from the tower. And there's usually stuff smashed down there all the time anyway, it could have been from a while ago. While up there, enjoying the view of the low lying clouds in the light from the tower, I also noticed that one of the crossmembers was almost completely cut in half from bolt cutters I guess. The door on the bottom was still locked, so I don't know if the kids climbed in around on the outside, or the rangers locked it back up. It's a shame. Eventually this tower is going to be knocked over, destoryed, or the state is going to take it down to keep from having to fix it. I think they should just put a huge fence around it and maybe you can go up when the rangers are there.

That tower is too important for the Forest Fire Service, so if push come to shove they will fence it off. They need to catch the culprits and make an example of them.

Thanks Kevin!

Guy

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Boyd, I just figured it was "news" related since it was an update on something talked about on here a bit. If it could go somewhere else, you're welcome to move it.

And as an added update, I went there again today and it was smashed and messed up again (as if it wasn't enough already.) We got there as the police were checking things out. Talked to them for a while and then chatted with the forest fire ranger when he showed. He said there might be a chance of moving the tower but probably not too likely. This must be the "cool" thing to do for some people when they get bored. One of the cross members has been almost cut in half too and the ranger didn't know about that till I told him where it was. I think it was like that the last couple of times I was there. Enjoy it while it's there I guess.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Too many roads. Put up some gates and make more areas accessible only to foot, bike, and horses. If people can drive there then it will be trashed. If it was just a quarter of a mile hike to the tower 90% of this would stop.

Agree and Agree. Have been saying this for years now. For just a little investment the Parks could cut down on a ton of vandalism, and future repair expense. Was at Lower Forge this past weekend and watched a group treat it like a car camping place, shuttling loads and loads of crap in and out. They wanted the quite nature of a back country site but werent willing to hike or boat into the place, so instead they drove their cars illegally in.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
ya think. I'd hate to move that thing.

HaHa, yeah I'm sure it's a task, but it's actually been done a lot in the past. Cedar Bridge tower has been moved 4 times, the bass river tower was moved once, as with Mizpah, Bear Swamp, and Lakewood. Apple Pie Hill Tower was moved once before from Big Hill to where it is now in 1960. I've seen a lot of pictures of movements by helicopter and the Mizpah one was moved in segments by a large truck. I'm sure they could move it off that hill to Chatsworth or wherever, ad 25 or 40 feet to the bottom, and still have a great lookout tower. I think the financial situation of our state right now is the biggest obstacle.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They should not have to move it. People need to have some respect for structures in the pines that they don't directly own.

Guy

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Firetowers in FL

All the firetowers I've seen here in FL are fenced in with barbed wire, a locked gate, etc., etc. Looks like a penitentiary ! Only in this case it's to keep the hoodlums out, not in. Many, many times I have wished I could climb up to get the view and can't, especially in Ocala National Forest.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
They should not have to move it. People need to have some respect for structures in the pines that they don't directly own.

Guy

people should have respect for lots of things......but they don't. It is amazing that somone has not cut the thing down yet. Fences and locks are not there for decent people.

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
Cedar Bridge tower was moved in the 80's with a helicopter due to constant vandalism.

Posted this in another related thread then saw this thread:

Also, just heard a few days ago (unofficially) that there will be one more attempt to fix Apple Pie tower. I don't know if this includes a locked fence or some kind of security. If its destyroyed again (which I think is inevitable), the state is going to dismantle it. Its ashame because that was one of the KEY towers at one time due to its location, in the middle of some of the other towers. It was always staffed with a full-timer up until the last few years. But as some one mentioned above, money is a big problem right now with the the NJFFS. There are many open positions that were never filled. Including "fire observers".
Pete

Unfortunatly, fences and locks are only a deterent, not a protection. If these hoodlems mean damage, there will be no way (short of posting a guard or electronic monitoring) of stopping them! The fence will only add to their list of things to overcome. Maybe a patrol alerted by proximity alarm (inside the fence) would be able to respond and catch the perps before major damage was completed. Welcome to the 'burbs folks! Most of the towers have been hit at one time or another.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I agree with Grendel on this. People should definately respect stuff. But they aint going to. I don't think. alarms and barb wire are the way to go either. I simply think that blocking off the main trail (and surrounding openings will be enough to keep the kids from wanting to do anything. Most of these kids are lazy. After making them walk up hill then at that point they aren't gonna want to do anything else. Chances are they wont even want to go up there. I still believe it's locals, who have probably seen the view 100 times and it just doesn't appeal to them like it would to us to make a hike up the hill.