1/4 mile fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We haven't been out that way for awhile because of the deep puddels and ruts but now it's drying up abit. Saturday morning we parked and took a walk. There was a camp fire still smouldering. There was some fiberglass vehicle parts and a large pile of it that had been burnt.

P1030338s.JPG

This morning we headed out that way again at about 8 Am when several muddied trucks were heading out to Carranza Rd. One dropped a tow at Carranza and Hampton Rd.
P1030341s.JPG

We drove to near the Batsto trestle and walked the east bank of the river. At 9:30, shortly after returning to Carranza Rd there was an SUV followed by a pickup towing a car carrier. That place must be wild at night.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We have to do some stealthing there one night.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
This morning we came upon an open fire in the same spot I posted earlier. There still are some mud pits but most of it is dry and can be walked. Aparently some of the people who go there are afraid of some of the puddles so they are making new roads around them. That place is wasted and will never recover.

P1030385s.JPG

P1030386s.JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is a crying shame Ed. I cannot imagine what that place "used" to look like. I wish I had been there in the 60's. For people to just drop an empty can or bottle into the fire is something my mind cannot wrap around.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
1/4 mile road

I cant believe the destruction the 4 wheelers caused to that area.

I know it for 30 years.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
this same mindset is seen in people who go partying at night and throw their bottles into a swimming hole and then when they wakeup next morning and go for a dip and cut their foot and go foir stitches their at a loss to explain why it happened???
Al

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
As we know from visiting the old sites in Wharton, they never recover even after a couple of hundred years.

Even clubs from out of state come here to drive it. Check it out on Youtube.

Jeep Jamboree 2008

When you see them at Atsion where do you think they are going?

It's not just limited to mud.

Jemima Mount.

When we took our walk Saturday morning we followed a fresh trail of mud to this vernal pond which had been ripped up.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.76319139252622&lng=-74.64654207229614&z=16&type=h&gpx=

Ed

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
1/4 mile road

Ed

Thanks for the video links, people committing crimes and posting the videos of them and the state doing nothing to protect our natural resources.

I seen the DEP hammer land owners for small wetlands violations.

I can't imagine what would happen if you did something like this on your own property in the Pinelands.

I guess you would call this selective enforcement.

The people who do this should be fined and pay for the restoration, like anyone else would

And where is the Pinelands Commission in all of this.

I also wonder what happened to NJDEP Comm. Campbell's 2002 efforts that really cracked down on this kind of destruction.

Uggghhh

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
Sat. 1/4 mile Road

01  08.14.10 Wharton .jpg
02  08.14.10 Wharton.jpg

Photos from Sat., 1/4 mile road.

There was also a smoldering bon fire when there was a fire ban in Wharton Forest.
What happens when these idiots cause a major fire, who will take responsibility?

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
When you see them at Atsion where do you think they are going?

Thats not 100% true. I know there are alot of clubs that won't touch 1/4 mile due to the fact that tickets have been issued out there and it has been announced that it's off limits. I still believe if an actual "trail system" was formed like every other state has it would be easier to write and enforce rules to punish those who go off of the dedicated trail. the spot that is mentioned here has been a popular attraction for 4 wheel drives since at least the 80s. As mentioned it is destroyed beyond return, which leaves 2 options. Close it down and have the people flock somewhere else that has not been destroyed, or at least as bad. Or let it be and enforce the hell out of trail system rule everywhere else.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thats not 100% true. I know there are alot of clubs that won't touch 1/4 mile due to the fact that tickets have been issued out there and it has been announced that it's off limits. I still believe if an actual "trail system" was formed like every other state has it would be easier to write and enforce rules to punish those who go off of the dedicated trail. the spot that is mentioned here has been a popular attraction for 4 wheel drives since at least the 80s. As mentioned it is destroyed beyond return, which leaves 2 options. Close it down and have the people flock somewhere else that has not been destroyed, or at least as bad. Or let it be and enforce the hell out of trail system rule everywhere else.

That area became popular after the fire there in the 90's from the roads that were blazed to fight the fire. I believe Ed can confirm that also.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
That area became popular after the fire there in the 90's from the roads that were blazed to fight the fire. I believe Ed can confirm that also.

Guy

Yes, that was the late 90's. The FFS buldozed around the fire creating the access that helped cause the problem we have now, they also leveled High Crossing. It was a very hot fire killing most of the trees there, well maby not killing them but most fell over. It was amazing to watch how the area recovered, lush vibrant new growth, perhapse from the stumps of the trees and perhapse from seeds, I can't say. It has become a great birding area. What I am going to say now will surely be controversial but the FFS permanently scared the area and I mean by their bulldozing it, not the access part. If it is handled this way every time there is a fire all of Wharton will become scared. The point is the area not bulldozed or driven on has recovered beautifully, creating a new habitat for wildlife rather than the old growth pines. An alternative to allowing the fire to burn could be what the Lee's did in Speedwell, visit it.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
The fire your referring to burned during a drought period in the summer which required extensive control lines. In fact, that fire burned for so many weeks that another "fire" occured within the fire perimeter several weeks later from needle cast from the burned pine trees.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The fire your referring to burned during a drought period in the summer which required extensive control lines.

(...."required" extensive control lines.)

Let's unpackage that statement. Why are you saying they required extensive control lines?

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
When a fire occurs in a summer drought period it is imperative to keep it as small as possible due to the amount of mop-up needed to prevent the fire's escape.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
State/federal wetlands regs.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/landuse/7-7a.pdf

One of the litany of laws being broken.

N.J.A.C. 7:7A-2.1(a), 2.2(a) and (b), 2.5(f), 2.6(a)
Conducting regulated or prohibited activities in a freshwater wetland, transition area and/or State open water without prior Department approval.

And the penalty for the above, in this exceptional resource area, would be more than $10,000 per day.

I would not want to be caught muddin in 1/4 mile if the NJDEP/LURP decides to prosecute

JerseyJK07

Scout
Jan 10, 2010
I as a offroader agree that there are a few areas that are out of control such as 1/4 mile. I go all around that are but never enter 1/4 mile becouse i know that it is off limits. I am a responsable 4x4 wheeler. Not everyone goes out to distroy the pines. People keep say that the 4 wheelers are responsable. they should say that "Some 4wheelers that are wreckless and careless" are responsable. Whe i go out ridding i meet with the others i ride with at Atsion. We ride respectfully and do report every person we see doing illigal happenings. Just becouse i have a snorkel on my jeep does not mean im gonna be doing illigal activites. So everytime you see a group at the ranger station gathering, dont just ASSUME they are going to 1/4 mile or some other place to distroy our natural pine lands. I have cleanned apple pie hill and a alot other places year round on my own. Why? becouse i care and so do ALL the people i ride with. We have also worked with th park service to help clear roads after bad rain and snow storms of down trees and recovered abandoned vehicles. When ever i ride, wether it be alone or in a group setting, i and my group always keep an eye out of illigal activites. I have DEP's 24hr number as well a a few park rangers personal cell numbers. i have warned people in carns and small SUV's of dangers ahead as well as helped the ones i ahve come across that were in trouble. We report as well every time we see people that trailer in there illigal vehicles when we come across them. I agree something needs to be done, but what needs to happen is that the "responable offroaders", Park Rangers, Pinelands Commision and local offroading clubs should get together and help inforce a "Trail System" like Mudboy has said so that we can all co exist and help each other preserve the pine lands so we can all enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.