4 Rattlesnakes Along a Road

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Great rattler pics, Guy & Jess, and wonderful discussion from y'all, including the new tick-chigger topic. This is the kind of talk that has given the Forum its well-deserved reputation for excellence.

My condolences to manumuskin on his pantyhose dilemma. I hear ya . . . but just remember: your real friends won't judge you by your runners.

Glo

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
:)

Apropos of the above -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045826/combined

I'm an Ed Wood Jr. fan, or is that anti-fan. Plan 9 is the best, I mean the worst, though.

Those bushes down there, I've never seen so many ticks. They were thick with them. I hate ticks. I got a bunch on and in me in the Ozark mountains in Arkansas a couple of years ago too. I'm never troubled with them out here in the desert, though I'm told that dogs manage to get them.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Great rattler pics, Guy & Jess, and wonderful discussion from y'all, including the new tick-chigger topic. This is the kind of talk that has given the Forum its well-deserved reputation for excellence.

My condolences to manumuskin on his pantyhose dilemma. I hear ya . . . but just remember: your real friends won't judge you by your runners.

Glo

Be good to know that the first time I get a runner.Been lucky that way so far:)
Alfreda

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
:)

Apropos of the above -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045826/combined

I'm an Ed Wood Jr. fan, or is that anti-fan. Plan 9 is the best, I mean the worst, though.

Those bushes down there, I've never seen so many ticks. They were thick with them. I hate ticks. I got a bunch on and in me in the Ozark mountains in Arkansas a couple of years ago too. I'm never troubled with them out here in the desert, though I'm told that dogs manage to get them.

I was just in the ozarks last may and your right,the ticks are as bad there as here.I hardly ever see ticks in WV and upper PA but arkansas was loaded with em.all were dog ticks,i seen no deer ticks,not to say they aren't there.
Al

Daniel J Montgomery

Jun 25, 2011
Brick
www.capturejerseyshore.com
The Pine Barrens were the worst place I've ever been for ticks. That's why I stopped going down there so much. So then, Bob, are chiggers something new in there?

Def. not new. I first got chiggers in 1986 while wandering in the woods south of 539 (before the trail came out on rt 72). Theyre proof evil exists ;) because they cause you to itch like nothing else I've encountered. They used to prescribe Kwell to get rid of them but I dont know what they suggest now

Daniel J Montgomery

Jun 25, 2011
Brick
www.capturejerseyshore.com
"chiggers will go through your socks and make mush out of your ankles in minutes"

I don't even know what chiggers are. The only trouble I had down there was with ticks, and I've had too many of those little %$#&'s dug way in me, the worst being years ago when camping at the site of the town of Mount for a few days, laying around on the grass before realizing that they were all over us. What I used to do was dip a rag in my VW gas tank and touch the gasoline on them and they'd back out, but now they tell you not to do that. They say you're supposed to twist them out with a tweezer, but I've not had success with that method. Have there been any reports of Lyme disease?

They say you can use vaseline to get them off of you. Slather some on the bite. Since ticks breathe out of the exposed end (their a**) the vaseline suffocates them, they back out and fall off

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Great shots and video! It's good to see what a timber rattler looks like. I've seen them in books and on TV but it's been a long time. Every time I stumble across a snake here in Florida or back in NJ, someone seems to always think it's a rattler. Still a lame excuse to kill a snake though.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
They say you can use vaseline to get them off of you. Slather some on the bite. Since ticks breathe out of the exposed end (their a**) the vaseline suffocates them, they back out and fall off

That's about what they used to tell you to do and I used to have success putting gasoline (from my Beetle gas tank) on the part of them that was sticking out, and then they'd wiggle their cute little rear ends, and it was then easy for me to pull them out while they were doing that. But then they changed their rec to Don't Do Dat because it makes them expel their germs into your body, but rather take your little tweezers and gently twist them clockwise, or is it counterclockwise?,and then they'll slide right out. But, as I mentioned, I've had no success with the new method. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Happily I've mostly been away from tick country so I haven't had the need to experiment lately. This makes me happy. Ticks are the outdoor thing I hate worst.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica and I found a baby Rattlesnake today just chilling out about a foot off the ground apparently sleeping away. It's eyes were closed and for the ten minutes we walked around and photographed it the thing never moved or opened it's eyes. It looks much larger than it actually was.

IMG_8184.jpg

And a baby skin. Sorry it is so blurry but I was zoomed all the way out and doing it by hand. With the posibility of multiple baby snakes there I was not going anywhere near it. I don't want the news reporters calling on me as we have seen recently :)

IMG_8165.JPG

Guy

Reactions: joc and dogg57

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
This is why I am always hitting my head and running into things when I am hiking. I am always looking down trying to avoid the two things I don't want to step on, rattlesnakes and yellow jackets. It isn't fear just concern. I'm a big baby with spider web too. A foot up you say! I need to stop hiking in shorts. Nice picture by the way, Teegate.:)

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Boyd, I'm never bothered by chiggers, ticks or poison ivy. When I was in my teens I had so much poison and so many run-ins with chiggers that I immune to the two of them now. For all I know it might be the amount of permetherin and imidacloprid in my system from doing pesticide applications as to why chiggers stay way. ;)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I am sorry to say that I will no longer be updating this thread or any other thread I have concerning snakes. I would suggest that all of you do the same.

Guy