1/4 mile fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Dave,

I believe they are working on that so just give them time. Things don't happen overnight and there is no use getting all worked up over this. All of the parties appear to know what is going on so we will eventually learn the steps they are taking to confront it. At least that is my opinion.

Guy

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
skip to 16:15 of this vid and they show 1/4 mile , http://www.njn.net/television/webcast/njnnews/wednesday.html , another big problem in the pines getting trashed is down on the swamp loop sorta near paraidise lakes , theres always young kids out there destroying the area and the fires i seen back there are just out of control, i seen them one night hammerd drunk in a pick up truck with like 10 people in the back ripping around and doing dougnuts , lucky someone didnt get killed ,39.72408,-74.721236 are the cords

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
"it used to be a lot narrower in the late 70's early 80's.."

I am very familiar with 1/4 mile from the time period you speak of. It was a very rough road along the RR tracks. What we are speaking of now is not that road but the destruction south of that road into the wetlands. It was started by the FF Service buldozing a road around a fire. When they were done there was no remediation and the mudders followed.

Yellowdog

Aug 20, 2010
lol..get topo maps at batsto ..many trails that they say exist don't and some exist and areen't notated because some of the topos are from 1950's survey

i always heed the ..nowhere near riparian zones and streams ..no where where visibly posted

no private land no blazing off the trail where you see others just decided to make their own

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
lol..get topo maps at batsto ..many trails that they say exist don't and some exist and areen't notated because some of the topos are from 1950's survey

i always heed the ..nowhere near riparian zones and streams ..no where where visibly posted

no private land no blazing off the trail where you see others just decided to make their own
you can be on a road thats 100 feet wide and legally if its not on the maps you can be ticketed

Yellowdog

Aug 20, 2010
on a snowy night with pine boughs hanging over a marked roadway i followed a GPS trail from a garmin US topo and pushed thru some low hanging boughs in the road and dropped the front of my jeep in 3 foot of ice cold water... just saying

i haven't been out allot in the last 5 or 6 years as i did for 25 but we never had a problem and i never got a ticket there except on quaker bridge road because i had 2 people in my passenger seat :bang:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This may bring back memories. To get from Hampton Furnace to Quaker Bridge you would need to travel along the tracks there at 1/4 mile. As it does today the roads would flood but it was the only way to go without traveling across High Crossing and going the long way.

Notice he was on the road. Developed 6/1978.

AlongTracks6_78.jpg

Guy

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
on a snowy night with pine boughs hanging over a marked roadway i followed a GPS trail from a garmin US topo and pushed thru some low hanging boughs in the road and dropped the front of my jeep in 3 foot of ice cold water... just saying

i haven't been out allot in the last 5 or 6 years as i did for 25 but we never had a problem and i never got a ticket there except on quaker bridge road because i had 2 people in my passenger seat :bang:
most of the time rangers wont bother you if your not doing anything wrong if your back at one of the known trouble spots they will bust you , we got lectured back behind jemimah mt one day and it was actually labled on my gps , he came up to us as we were stuck trying to cross a mud hole he couldnt say much considering we were on a mapped road and just trying to pass through

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
great pic

This may bring back memories. To get from Hampton Furnace to Quaker Bridge you would need to travel along the tracks there at 1/4 mile. As it does today the roads would flood but it was the only way to go without traveling across High Crossing and going the long way.

Notice he was on the road. Developed 6/1978.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This is what we called fun. Not destroying anything, just making our way down the road.

6-78Pipe.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So how did you decide who would volunteer to be first to cross the bridge??

My mom worked with the man who owned the Bronco in the first photo. He found out that I had a Land Cruiser and asked me to join them. We met at the Indian Chief in Medford and I followed in the group since I was the new person. The first vehicle to the pipe went first after we built the bridge. The location was at the below link. We had passed through what is now 1/4 mile and we were heading towards Quaker Bridge.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.75151236955796&lng=-74.67486619949341&z=16&type=h&gpx=

I had told them about it and even had my parents there.

6_78.jpg

6_78_.jpg

And in two months ......August of 1978.....

8__78.jpg

Guy

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
All I can say is something has to bend somewhere or it's going to get a HELL of alot worse. I can promise you that. The town it was in could handle it. The only reason it isn't cookie cutter homes with a development is becasue the owner turned them away in hopes of putting a park in. Now the land is a "preserve" and it is totally valuless and can't even give it away. I'
m about ready to quit with my posts and let time play it's roll but I can tell you now, if both sides don'ty come to some sort of compromise were facing a terrible situation

IF the land was persevered, the state or the county purchased it or its development rights based on assessed value based on zoning.

Your explanation makes little sense

Tell me what town and the blocks and lots and who preserved it?

Status
Not open for further replies.