1/4 mile fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
We took our walk at 1/4 mile this morning since it was cool and we wouldn't mind walking in the sun. If you can ignore the damage it is still quite a nice area. We like it because the trees are still short from the fire so you can stretch your eyes. A good area for birding and some nice sun tolerant plants still survive. We saw a big buck with a great rack and a large healthy rabbit.
Well that place is always interesting for other reasons.

441a.jpg

449a.jpg

and some nice ground tackle. These photos were taken at just after 9 this morning 9/5/2010.
You can probably grab it if you hurry.
448a.jpg

Oddly, there were many yellow ballons spread around the area.
A fire was still smoldering and there were lots of beer cans.

Ed

Thanks for posting photos.

When these is no one there it is a great birding site.

One trip we had a Cooper's hanging around and calling at us for 20 minutes, lots of towhees, C chickadees and heard a few PB warblers.

If you have a good grass field guide its a great place to brush up on Pine Barrens grasses, sedges, rushes, beaked rushes, juncuses, etc.

Balloons are probably from NOX2

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Thanks for posting photos.

When these is no one there it is a great birding site.

One trip we had a Cooper's hanging around and calling at us for 20 minutes, lots of towhees, C chickadees and heard a few PB warblers.

If you have a good grass field guide its a great place to brush up on Pine Barrens grasses, sedges, rushes, beaked rushes, juncuses, etc.

Balloons are probably from NOX2

why NOX2 in ballons?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was at the gas station near my house yesterday which is run by middle eastern individuals, and a young nice looking blond pulled in and bought two cigars. I was surprised to see a female buying cigars until the attendant looked at me and said she bought it to add her pot to it for smoking. Since I have much more respect for my heath than that nonsense, I learned something new in the process. Idiots!

Guy

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
We took our walk at 1/4 mile this morning since it was cool and we wouldn't mind walking in the sun. If you can ignore the damage it is still quite a nice area. We like it because the trees are still short from the fire so you can stretch your eyes. A good area for birding and some nice sun tolerant plants still survive. We saw a big buck with a great rack and a large healthy rabbit.
Well that place is always interesting for other reasons.

441a.jpg

449a.jpg

and some nice ground tackle. These photos were taken at just after 9 this morning 9/5/2010.
You can probably grab it if you hurry.
448a.jpg

Oddly, there were many yellow ballons spread around the area.
A fire was still smoldering and there were lots of beer cans.

Ed

My mind is telling me, "don't get involved in this thread, don't get involved in this thread...." In all seriousness is it wrong or could someone get ticketed for driving through a puddle that is in the middle of a road. I am in no way trying to defend anyone or anything that has taken place back there but if that was my first time in the woods and saw a puddle right in the middle of a road I might go for it. If this person drove off the road and destroyed wetlands, then yes he did something wrong, driving through some mud in the middle of a road, I'm not so sure about that. I do not condone hooking up a chain to a tree but if you had to do it I guess you should wrap something around the tree to prevent damage?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I was at the gas station near my house yesterday which is run by middle eastern individuals, and a young nice looking blond pulled in and bought two cigars. I was surprised to see a female buying cigars until the attendant looked at me and said she bought it to add her pot to it for smoking. Since I have much more respect for my heath than that nonsense, I learned something new in the process. Idiots!

Guy

You learned something new due to your respect for your health? That doesn't make sense, Guy. Perhaps you phrased what you meant to say incorrectly. And are you calling them idiots for smoking pot, or for rolling their pot in cigar paper (which, by the way, is known as a "blunt")?

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
My mind is telling me, "don't get involved in this thread, don't get involved in this thread...." In all seriousness is it wrong or could someone get ticketed for driving through a puddle that is in the middle of a road. I am in no way trying to defend anyone or anything that has taken place back there but if that was my first time in the woods and saw a puddle right in the middle of a road I might go for it. If this person drove off the road and destroyed wetlands, then yes he did something wrong, driving through some mud in the middle of a road, I'm not so sure about that. I do not condone hooking up a chain to a tree but if you had to do it I guess you should wrap something around the tree to prevent damage?

But this wasn't a road, it was a wetlands/intermittent stream/vernal pool that was ground into a road during dry weather. If you were back there this spring the whole place would be flooded.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
You learned something new due to your respect for your health? That doesn't make sense, Guy. Perhaps you phrased what you meant to say incorrectly. And are you calling them idiots for smoking pot, or for rolling their pot in cigar paper (which, by the way, is known as a "blunt")?

Perhaps she was on a trip to find the Pine Barrens smoke grass

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
.....if that was my first time in the woods and saw a puddle right in the middle of a road I might go for it. If this person drove off the road and destroyed wetlands, then yes he did something wrong, driving through some mud in the middle of a road, I'm not so sure about that. I do not condone hooking up a chain to a tree but if you had to do it I guess you should wrap something around the tree to prevent damage?

I'm with you on this one. He may have just been a guy that goes out at night with his girl to make a little lovey-dovey, and....oops! It's happened to me before.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I'm with you on this one. He may have just been a guy that goes out at night with his girl to make a little lovey-dovey, and....oops! It's happened to me before.

Robert,
You did NOT actually write the phrase... "Make a little lovey-dovey"
I have no words.

g.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
1/4 mile advertisement

the bridge over the Batsto at Hampton Furnace.

Winch damage at Jemima Mount due to failure to use a tree saver strap.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
No way that this happened. or no way Bob has done that????? I believe one of them is true.

Guy

I guess maybe both have happened, but this is real. Sorry Bob, I have come back with mud on my tires more than once to the stares of my parents. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Only way a full grown man types that phrase is with a full grown woman looking over his shoulder,ready to bring the frying pan down....

I have to believe you are wrong in this case. :D

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
But this wasn't a road, it was a wetlands/intermittent stream/vernal pool that was ground into a road during dry weather. If you were back there this spring the whole place would be flooded.

Must have been ground into a road a long, long, long time ago. That road existed in the 1930's.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.759504796225244&lng=-74.66558575630188&z=16&type=nj1930&gpx=

Edit: Also, if this thread turns into the last one, I'm going to slag it and be handing out 48 hour bans for the troublemakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.