1839 maps showing mills, furnaces and forges

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks for the info.

I always find maps interesting, especially to see the flaws in older maps. It has "Halfway" clearly in Burlington County when it is in Ocean, and it has "Union Works" about where Chatsworth is at.

And I always love the different ways the Forked River Mountains are displayed :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Gerania said:
And Guy, there is that 'other' Friendship which came up in conversation.

Gillian

It only shows that Friendship on this map.

I just remembered that Steve brought this map to my attention once. Notice near Hampton Furnace it says ( In ruins). I remember him mentioning that.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is a really neat map. Every time I see these old maps I tell myself to make a road map and explore some of the old roads. Wouldn't it be neat to take a stage from, say Tuckerton to Berlin like in the old days? Maybe we could set it up and turn it into a business?

I like how Chamberlains Branch used to be called Black Cedar Branch. Never heard that one before.

Marillion

Nov 2, 2005
Great maps. I've been trying to locate Andrew Race's Run for several years now. It's mentioned in a number of old land deeds. One of those 1839 maps clearly shows it's location. Thanks.

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
Guy,
The Union Works referred to here is the Union Works, not the Union Clay Works. Union Works, if memory serves, was the Ironworks listed in Pierce's "Iron in the Pines" owned by William Cook Sr. And, as for Halfway, it is located in Burlington County, for the most part. A portion of it now lives in Ocean County because of Samuel Bryant and his neighbors re-orienting themselves to better suit a proposed school for the Red Oak Grove area. Hope this clears things up with the map.
Scott W.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
diggersw said:
Guy,
The Union Works referred to here is the Union Works, not the Union Clay Works. Union Works, if memory serves, was the Ironworks listed in Pierce's "Iron in the Pines" owned by William Cook Sr. And, as for Halfway, it is located in Burlington County, for the most part. A portion of it now lives in Ocean County because of Samuel Bryant and his neighbors re-orienting themselves to better suit a proposed school for the Red Oak Grove area. Hope this clears things up with the map.
Scott W.

Scott,

Nice to see you posting again!

Thanks for the Union Works info, I appreciate it.

The location of the pit that most people visit at Halfway is in Ocean County; however, if you know that the actual town was in Burlington than your info would be true. I know the the NW pit is in Burlington.

I have traveled the town lines and county lines all along that area and found this while doing so. Do you know what the initials could be? It is right near the small round "pit".

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/1290-1/eo.jpg

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy,

The beginning of this post has some maps that RMickle showed us. Of all the maps I've seen I really like that one the best. It shows most historical places where other maps are just hit and miss. Do you remember when you made us map copies (was it you?). I'd like to someday get a copy of that map.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Guy,

The beginning of this post has some maps that RMickle showed us. Of all the maps I've seen I really like that one the best. It shows most historical places where other maps are just hit and miss. Do you remember when you made us map copies (was it you?). I'd like to someday get a copy of that map.

It was me, but not really. Bob Bruneau and I met Paul Schopp at Kinko's and Paul brought the actual maps and we made copies of them. In order to copy these maps we have to take the digital file to a printer and have them copied.

I will work in this today.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

I called Kinko's just to see what format they needed the file to be in, and they said pdf. I also asked how much for a 24x18 and he said around $5 for B7W so I figured I would buy 4 of them. So I converted to pdf and drove over, and they then said $7 per square foot. I declined! I drove to work and we played around with 11x17 and it just would not print fully. So I am going to trim the map to what we actually need, and on Monday try again in Color.

The man I traveled the pines with years ago works in printing, so I am going to talk to him to see if I can get a large copy cheaper.

Guy

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
Guy,
The EO may have something to do with the Owens family. The hill that Halfway was excavated out of was known as Owens Hill. That small pit, I believe is one of the earlier clay pits of the Lewis Neill Fire Brick Co. If I am correct, the pit you are referencing is located just outside of the larger clay pit, has blue-green water, and is almost perfectly round. It is also near the bottom of the hill.
However, without being able to do better research, I can only posit this as one possibility. It is difficult seeing primary docs from here in Maine. Let me know what else you find out about this area.
Scott W.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Scott,

You are correct on the location of the round pit, and the stone in question is less than 1000 feet from there, but not on the county or township line. I would say it is a property line. I appreciate your input on the initials and if ever come up with anything else, I will keep you informed. Some of the stones that I have been looking for in that area have been destroyed by the building of the rye fields, so there are few of them left I believe.

Also, I had always taken Owens Hill as the small hill at the location at the below link, but after your post I looked over the Burlington County Map that shows Owens Hill, and it shows it North of Old Egg Harbor road and SW of the county line, but almost on it. This would put it at around the NW pit of Old Halfway where you say it was.

Where I thought it was.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=11&Z=18&X=1364&Y=11028&W=1&qs=|woodmansie|nj|

Map

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/1294-1/owens.jpg

Thanks again for all your info the past few days.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, Scott..do you have a property map of the Owens place? If you do there may be more stones to find.

Guy