1839 maps showing mills, furnaces and forges

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
"Old" Halfway/ROG and "re--orienting"

diggersw said:
I am not entirely sure how big these communities were, however, the timeframe for the school falls into the 1850s / 1860s and does coincide with several industrial ventures in the region. The Lewis Neill Brick works, and later Union Clay, would have needed a place to care for the intellectual development of their children. The application for a school is actually on file at the Ocean County Clerk's office, and mentions Lewis Neill among other people. I do not have my research in front of me right now, but can tell you that the area apparently had enough families to require a school. There were some issues with what district the school should be associated, primarily because ROG spans both Ocean and Burlington counties. But, to my knowledge it ultimately became an Ocean County school.

Scott,

There were some very large families in the vicinity in the mid--1850s to the early 1870s. ROG, being on the old stage road, would be an ideal site for a school... People are: 1.) basically "lazy": One "wag" said "Laziness is the mother of invention." and 2.) "greedy" --- when it comes to the education of their young. You used the gerund "re--orienting" in the sentence "And, as for Halfway, it is located in Burlington County, for the most part. A portion of it now lives in Ocean County because of Samuel Bryant and his neighbors re-orienting themselves to better suit a proposed school for the Red Oak Grove area." What do you mean by "re--orienting"? Why was it necessary to bring "Old" Halfway into Ocean County "...to better suit a proposed school for the Red Oak Grove area." ?

In the above, you state that, "...ROG spans both Ocean and Burlington counties." From my map, ROG and "Old" Halfway don't seem that far apart, but they do seem to be far enough apart that they may have been considered to be distinct communities. Are you stating that both "Old" Halfway AND ROG were both "brought" into Ocean County? If so, how would Samuel Bryant (and others) have done this?:confused:

Jennifer Lynch seems to have data/information that would help me in my research. Can you give me her address/telephone number off list?

ebsi

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
"Bryant Road"

TeeGate said:
As for the Bryant road, he owned various pieces of property so using Red Oak Grove as a reference may not be the proper way to judge that. But I do not know if the road was named for him or not, but I am willing to bet it is.

Guy

Guy,

Ever since I got a detailed map of the area several years ago, I, too, toyed with the hypothesis that "Bryant Road" could have been named after Samuel "Bryant." However, to date I have not seen any evidence that would substantiate that contention... If Samuel "Bryant" lived in Red Oak Grove, then why would a road have been named after him quite some distance from ROG?

A couple of years go, I asked the A.C. Press "Answer Guy" for an answer regarding the naming of "Bryant Road." My effort was tantamount to writing my letter in the water...

No one seems to know. Maybe you know of an old tax map/deed map of the area...?

If we can all agree that the concept that "'Bryant Road' was named after Samuel 'Bryant'" is hypothetical, then I would agree. However, "jumping to conclusions" is not such a good idea: Things have a way of "boomeranging" --- and my neck's sore enough already...;-)

ebsi

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
ebsi2001 said:
No, Guy, I was referring to the "'SB' obelisk." From your photograph, it looks quite "modern.

but it is "curious" that someone (a "private person") would go to the expense of errecting a granite marker to mark a simple property line...
ebsi

You must not know about my hobby then. There are thousands of property stones located throughout the pines, some of them inscribed as the "SB" stone is. They are granite, sandstone, and even marble. I have found about 400 of them so far, and could spend the rest of my life looking for them there are that many.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
ebsi2001 said:
If we can all agree that the concept that "'Bryant Road' was named after Samuel 'Bryant'" is hypothetical, then I would agree. However, "jumping to conclusions" is not such a good idea: Things have a way of "boomeranging" --- and my neck's sore enough already...;-)

ebsi

I don't think anyone here said it was a given that Bryant Road was named after him, just the fact that he owned quite a bit of land in and around the Ocean/Burlington County and Lacey/Ocean township area's. This would make the fact that a road close by named Bryant Road has a good chance of being named after him. According to Scott he started a post office, a school, and maybe other things, so he easily could have had a road named after him.

Guy

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Samuel "Bryant" and "Bryant Road"

TeeGate said:
I asked and received a map that I did not have that shows Bryant Road going right into the Old Half Way and Red Oak Grove area. This tells me the road was named after him.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/BryantRd.jpg

Guy

Thanks, Guy, for taking the time to scan--in and place that part of your map on your site!

It looks like the "main leg" of your "Bryant Road" "forked" before it crossed Route 539: Curiously, it looks like both forks were named "Bryant Road"...Hmmm...

The "Bryant Road" I am referring to is in Lacy Township, just east of the "Long Branch" of the Forked River. That "Bryant Road," which "disappears" as it touches the Lacy/Ocean Township boundary, does not seem to "connect" directly with your "Bryant Road." Also, there is a considerable distance between the "Bryant Road" in Lacey Township and the Red Oak Grove area...

Cursory research I conducted a couple of years ago indicated that there were several "Bryant" families living in South Jersey in the 1830s to 1860s. Some of them did NOT seem to be related, whereas a definite relationship among/between some of the other families could not be proven at that time...

Whereas, taking your map into consideration, it looks like your "Bryant Road(s)" might well have been named for a "Samuel Bryant," who lived in ROG, and who seemed to have been a "mover and a shaker" in that area in the early 1850s to the latter part of that decade, I am not so sure that the "Bryant Road" "snippet" (?) in Lacy Township was named for/after the same person...

Can you better "pinpoint" the many properties the ROG "Samuel Bryant" owned in and around ROG --- and Mount Misery? Did he own property/-ties in Lacey Township, too?

Guy, thanks, again, for sharing...

ebsi

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Hobby

TeeGate said:
You must not know about my hobby then. There are thousands of property stones located throughout the pines, some of them inscribed as the "SB" stone is. They are granite, sandstone, and even marble. I have found about 400 of them so far, and could spend the rest of my life looking for them there are that many.

Guy

Sorry, Guy, I'm "new" here...

Based on your knowledge and expertise, and looking carefully at the "SB" marker would/could you classify it as being from the 1850s to 1860s --- or could/would it have been from a later time period? Scott stated in the front page article on ROG that Samuel "Bryant" died in 1857, I believe...

ebsi

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
ebsi2001 said:
Guy,

can you give me more info. about this map --- who published it, and where you got it?

How do you match--up the map with the aerial photographs?

ebsi

The map I believe came from the Magellan software that you buy to use with a Magellan GPS.

As for matching that map with aerial photo's, that would be tough.

I may be wrong, but it appears you have not used a mapping program such as USAPhotoMaps. I am assuming you use the Windows operating system and not a Mac. If so, download the free full install of USAPhotoMaps here and you might find this program helpful.

http://jdmcox.com/

Here is how it looks on the Mac showing Bryant Road.

Aerial ( Notice the "fork" in Bryant Road is no longer there)

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/trash1/bryant1.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/trash1/bryant2.jpg

950 waypoints

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/islandtee/trash1/map2.jpg

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Wow Guy! The photo of the waypoints/monuments you visited is amazing! That is really neat. On some rainy day I am gonna open up USA photo maps and put waypoint dots in all the areas I have been.