1st of the season

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just got back from the barrens. The pic shows what is the southern edge of the fire. I tried to go up Sooy to 72 but didnt make it all the way.Momma did not want to baja and there were some nasty holes.I then turned east on Long Causeway after back tracking and went as far as Papoose headwaters.Again a baja to cross.I know it;'s solid but it looked scary and Momma started hyperventilating.I don't know why.We had 240lbs of dog with us and plenty of water so we could have lived for a couple weeks on that alone. The southern boundary I also drove.This fire is weird.Many large areas crowned and burnt the trees totally black and are very open now then right next to them you might have an area where only the lower needles are browned and in some cases there will be a patch untouched.I remember looking into a good toasted spot where most trees lived but were black to twenty feet off the ground and 30 ft off the road a leg sixed oak was totally untouched.No soot at all surrounded by blackened pines.I did not continue further up the red road then my track but I assume the fire was checked there probably all the way to 72? I intend on doing some hikes into the fire in a couple weeks.I tried to punch north of the long causeway on a road I use to follow to Coyle Field but it was even tighter then I remember and their a few small trees lying scorss it in the beginning that I could easily run over but I heard Mommas heavy breathing again. I frequently joke about eating the dogs and she knows ai have a healthy appetite and will eat about anything.I thinks she's really afraid to let me miss a meal.Hey! Works for me! And she surely doesn't want to break down with no food in the car except of course her dogs.

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 220

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al, that solid blue line shows you crossed the Papoose there? No, right?
I should have explained that. No I followed the road down and went over the Brideg on Stevenson road at Sims Place but the fire dowve into the woods and did not go all the way to the bridge,i picked it back up on Stevenson further east so I assumed that was about the border.I drew the track.it's not from actually holding a gps. I had decent clothes on and Momma swears charcoal won't come out and i was nt allowed to hike and no bajaing either.I"m laid off in a few weeks and I want to get to the rock pile and the overlook just north of it,.It was too tight for her so I stopped.I"ll just hike there from Long causeway when I"m laid off.I"ll have to wear old clothes, she doesn't like my pine barrens pinstripes on my wearing apparel.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
A lot of sources are referring to the "Penn State Forest Fire". But I heard that none of Penn State Forest burned. The fire started on private property (probably Cutts Bros, but by trespassers), and moved north-northeast into Bass River North, which is part of Bass River SF not Penn SF. (Pedantic? Yes, probably.)

I just got back from the barrens. The pic shows what is the southern edge of the fire. I tried to go up Sooy to 72 but didnt make it all the way.Momma did not want to baja and there were some nasty holes.I then turned east on Long Causeway after back tracking and went as far as Papoose headwaters.Again a baja to cross.I know it;'s solid but it looked scary and Momma started hyperventilating.I don't know why.We had 240lbs of dog with us and plenty of water so we could have lived for a couple weeks on that alone. The southern boundary I also drove.This fire is weird.Many large areas crowned and burnt the trees totally black and are very open now then right next to them you might have an area where only the lower needles are browned and in some cases there will be a patch untouched.I remember looking into a good toasted spot where most trees lived but were black to twenty feet off the ground and 30 ft off the road a leg sixed oak was totally untouched.No soot at all surrounded by blackened pines.I did not continue further up the red road then my track but I assume the fire was checked there probably all the way to 72? I intend on doing some hikes into the fire in a couple weeks.I tried to punch north of the long causeway on a road I use to follow to Coyle Field but it was even tighter then I remember and their a few small trees lying scorss it in the beginning that I could easily run over but I heard Mommas heavy breathing again. I frequently joke about eating the dogs and she knows ai have a healthy appetite and will eat about anything.I thinks she's really afraid to let me miss a meal.Hey! Works for me! And she surely doesn't want to break down with no food in the car except of course her dogs.

HER dogs?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes they favor her.I work shie doesn't so they are with her constantly.The older dog favors me a little more because I used to take her swamping all the time before she started getting seizures.The young dog has never been in the woods with just me because if I can't take one it;s not fair to take the other.The other one shadows her.They both freak out when I come homw from work but if we're both coming in and their waiting for both of us they ignore me the first five minutes and once they have crawled all over her then they come for me.She definitely ranks.All I am is a pay check that keeps them from starving.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A very interesting theory being thrown into the mix citing possible eco-terrorism against the "endure" riders ???

That would be bringing the disagreement to a whole new level. I don't believe anyone could be that stupid, well maybe.

I was walking around the bog in the county conservation area behind the house and came upon a small area with a fire pit and beer cans strewn about. Looks like my neighbor and I might get to use our govt training one more time on some moonless night :D

Last edited:
Reactions: RednekF350

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
I was there at the pit last Thursday. Looking at the marked up picture, the circle on the left are three good pallets; the circle on the right is the only fire pit I noticed, and the arrow notes a marked enduro course.

In the photo of the fire pit, note the yellow horizontal line in the background on the right edge. That is caution tape.

Spring Hill Fir4e.png

IMG_8167.JPG

IMG_8169.JPG

IMG_8180.JPG