1st of the season

Discussion in 'Nature and the Environment' started by 46er, Mar 30, 2019.

1. RednekF350

RednekF350 Piney

Is that vehicle on the right an old Wagoneer or a more current lifted XJ ? The older Wagoneer would certainly stand out a little more to people who are looking for the suspects.

2. 46er

46er Piney

Looks like an SJ XJ. ;)

#82 46er, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  3. Broke Jeep Joe

Broke Jeep Joe Explorer

That's an XJ, notice the hatch is open? FSJ's had a roll down rear window and a tailgate. I had a 78 Chief and it had a manual roll down rear window!

4. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

Or, do you mean people who knew who did it. I just can't imagine suspects would stand there looking at what they did. They'd be long gone.

5. smoke_jumper

smoke_jumper Piney

There are a couple of things that confuse me with that picture. 1st Most arsonist act alone. 2nd As Bob said they don’t seem to be in a hurry to leave. Just by that picture you can tell that fire is off to the races. 3rd is where did the picture come from. I assume a trail cam but it perfectly captured the smoke and vehicles in the shot. Seems a little coincidental.

Broke Jeep Joe likes this.
  6. 46er

46er Piney

Yep :guinness:

7. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

I suspect that photo has been in the hands of the police early on but they have not come up with the answer as to who the individuals are in the photo. Now they are asking for help from us. If the photo individuals arrived like the photographer posably did, we just have a photo of two people watching a fire. Maybe they saw something and maybe they didn't. It should be interesting to see what comes of this.

smoke_jumper likes this.
  8. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

We spent the morning exploring the burn area from Sooy Road to almost Coyle Field looking for possible property corners. We came up empty. However, we really enjoyed walking there and finding only old beer bottles in a few locations from someones adventure long before many of us were born. And we came upon a small oasis that really stuck out. The arrow points to a salt lick holder.

IMG_2820a.jpg

John likes this.
  9. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

That is the same kind of thing I saw along Long causeway o nly the lone tree in the middle was an oak.

10. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

That is likely due to a hunter clearing out the duff to throw down his sweet 'taters, spinach, and corn as bait.

11. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

This time of year? Hunting season don't start till Late september early october

12. 1Jerseydevil

1Jerseydevil Explorer

But the under brush is still clear. I'm trying to figure out why those 2 tires Guy found were untouched, they don't even appear scorched.

13. 46er

46er Piney

And those tree's are also untouched. Perhaps some type of cyclonic effect. Any picture of the crowns of those tree's?

14. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

No

15. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

You see the green vegetation. If the hunter cleared it last year (or even the year before), and threw down veggies, that was fertilizer for the vegetation. If you think it was just a vortex, then why no pine needles?

I've seen young shoots of corn growing in the same type of hunter clearings.

Salt lick holder = hunter influence / disturbance.

16. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

17. 1Jerseydevil

1Jerseydevil Explorer

That's a well worn path. The hunter must have spent a lot of time there and many trips. That was in a back burn area or was it a controlled burn?

18. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

19. 1Jerseydevil

1Jerseydevil Explorer

You really were exploring the burn. It was mentioned back fires were set from rt 72 so that would be in the area. The back fires are set against the wind I believe so although the burn appears well established it wasn't able to reach the crowns. I don't know if that hunter will be happy or not, LOL

20. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

I follow the stones wherever they take me. Plus, I love burned area's. The inside of my car doesn't though. I had to use carpet cleaner to get the black off multiple places. Worked really well. "Resolve"