1st Time to Jemima Mt

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
A dirtbike or quad will tear up road 100x faster then a truck will.

Ah, what seems like a new "age old" debate. No disrespect to those of you fellas that Jeep & 4X4 responsibly was intended. As it is because ya'll are legally and politically acceptable and I am on the opposite side of that fence, I guess I come up short.
The piece of road, while the state helped do the damage in this case is a shining example of irresponsible and reckless 4x4 work. No... quad or dirtbike could do what's been done to this stretch.
While I do not agree with you on this one I appreciate your input and hope to see you in October as we work toward a common goal.

g.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Not necessarily. It depends on the operator.

Jeff

Spot on...I could tear up a trail with a lawn tractor if I really wanted to. And I could tread lightly in a 3/4 ton Chevy with 44" tires if I wanted to (provided the trail was wide enough), it just all depends on how heavy your foot is, how concious you are of your surroundings, and how much you actually care. I don't think there is one 4 wheeler, dirtbiker, or quad rider who goes out thinking "I really want to kill some rare plants, cause massive amounts of erosion, and tear down the woods." The consequences of irresponsibility just never enter their minds. A little education is all it takes...

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I guess it all comes down to what you're looking to do. When the wife and I go out, it's to see new sites, enjoy the scenery and to enjoy the wilderness. We drive fairly slowly and don't tear-up any roads/trails. Those couple times that I feel like doing donuts and such, it's done in one of the many sand pits that are available in the Pines. I didn't get out at all this weekend (dealer is installing new weatherstripping), but last weekend, I couldn't believe the number of dips that were rutted-up on the roads/trails. It looks like many get enjoyment out of laying on the peddle in the middle of a puddle to make an innocent dip into something you can lose your rig in. It doesn't make sense to me.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I don't think there is one 4 wheeler, dirtbiker, or quad rider who goes out thinking "I really want to kill some rare plants, cause massive amounts of erosion, and tear down the woods." The consequences of irresponsibility just never enter their minds. A little education is all it takes...

I got into a huge argument with some people on a 4x4 board. I posted Bob's photo of a bog asphodel colony wrecked by 4x4 use and they were all like "So? It's just a bunch of weeds." :cry:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That shows that many 4x4 owners truly think they are not doing damage to the environment when in fact they are. When you drive off of a road deliberately you are going places where you should not be. Now that does not mean just pulling off to park. Everyone is guilty of that and if a ranger tickets someone for that they are overstepping their authority as I see it.

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Yes, that looks like the southern of the two eastern approaches to the hill, although it gave me pause at first because the sand is quite a bit lighter than I recall from my last visit. Probably it has just dried out.

I don't know as the other little bumps in the vicinity have names. They are all sort of Jemima. If they are named then someone here will know what to call them.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
:argh::bang:People that f up the pines should be set on fire. And no im not pro 4x4 cause alot of the people i see in the pines 4x4ing are tools.

Just a tip for the 4x4ers, u get a greater appreciation for the pines if your hiking it and can take time to take in the atmosphere, not bajaing in your k5blazer.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
not to bring up an old post but I traveled to what im almost positive is jemima yesterday and was curious is to what other hills are in the area and their names?
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showfull.php?photo=9292
thats my picture i took am i correct??

I would have to say that the state has put some sort of dirt there. Good eye Mark! I wonder if it was the keep the hill from eroding?

It sure has changed since about 1978.

jemima.jpg

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I recently came across a reference to Jemima Mount in which the hill was called "Jeremia Mount". I wonder which one is the corruption.

mike2424, besides the well-known Apple Pie Hill and the Forked River Hillocks, some names of other hills in the Pines include Bear Swamp Hill and Spring Hill. The name of another nearby hill escapes me at the moment.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I recently came across a reference to Jemima Mount in which the hill was called "Jeremia Mount". I wonder which one is the corruption.

When I first met Behr655 (Steve) he must have been annoyed at me calling it JeNima Mount and he finally asked me why I called it that. I was perplexed since it was called Jenima Mount as far as I knew. It turns out when I first started exploring the pines I used a map that had it spelled Jenima.

jenima.jpg

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Teegate said:
That would be Devious. It means "Out of the way place." And it is.

Ah, thanks Guy! I wonder how many unnamed hills there are in the area. I'd like to find. It's about time I got myself a good topo map of the Pines.

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
I remember riding the Wharton Estate{pre Wharton State Forest}back in the 40's.All the streams ran across a road at some point and time.There were no 4 wheel drives.If you knew how to drive sugar sand,you rarely ever got stuck.The roads were seldom used except during deer season.You might be the first over a road in over a month.
State bought the Wharton Estate.Where a stream crossed a road ,they put in flum pipes and covered them with gravel.As the years went by more people began using the roads.The state trimmed a lot of trees along the roads.Where once you had to fold in your mirrors,you could run a Caddy down some of the roads.Case and point Quaker Bridge Road off of Rt.206.More 4 wheel drive cars and trucks.Then came the 4 wheelers with monster tires and lifts.I hunted an area ,an old 2 tracker ,lots of spungs.Most of the water was below your knees.Well sir the last time I walked that trail.the first thing I saw was somethig big had gone down that trail.All the spongs had a hard bottom.The first spung I came to was sickening.The first truck made it through.Evidence showed the 2nd truck got stuck.They got the truck out with a tow strap.The strap was broken and left there along with an empty 6 pack.Damage done.No more bottom in that spung.You would need waders to get through it.I have no problem with anyone who goes down the forest weather it be hikers ,bikers,horse people.motorcycles and 4 wheel drive vehicles.Respect the land as if it was your own.You know it is public land and we are the public.Enough of standiing on my soap box.This old guy had to say something.Enough said.Time to eat.The beans is burning.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Y-Buc-Bill said:
I remember riding the Wharton Estate{pre Wharton State Forest}back in the 40's.All the streams ran across a road at some point and time.There were no 4 wheel drives.If you knew how to drive sugar sand,you rarely ever got stuck.The roads were seldom used except during deer season.You might be the first over a road in over a month.
State bought the Wharton Estate.Where a stream crossed a road ,they put in flum pipes and covered them with gravel.As the years went by more people began using the roads.The state trimmed a lot of trees along the roads.Where once you had to fold in your mirrors,you could run a Caddy down some of the roads.Case and point Quaker Bridge Road off of Rt.206.More 4 wheel drive cars and trucks.Then came the 4 wheelers with monster tires and lifts.I hunted an area ,an old 2 tracker ,lots of spungs.Most of the water was below your knees.Well sir the last time I walked that trail.the first thing I saw was somethig big had gone down that trail.All the spongs had a hard bottom.The first spung I came to was sickening.The first truck made it through.Evidence showed the 2nd truck got stuck.They got the truck out with a tow strap.The strap was broken and left there along with an empty 6 pack.Damage done.No more bottom in that spung.You would need waders to get through it.I have no problem with anyone who goes down the forest weather it be hikers ,bikers,horse people.motorcycles and 4 wheel drive vehicles.Respect the land as if it was your own.You know it is public land and we are the public.Enough of standiing on my soap box.This old guy had to say something.Enough said.Time to eat.The beans is burning.

I'm curious as you say that the spung had a hard bottom prior to being torn up by the truck. Was the bottom compacted with vegetable matter which was loosened up by the truck?

Illuminating post. Keep them coming!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Respect the land as if it was your own.You know it is public land and we are the public.Enough of standiing on my soap box.This old guy had to say something.Enough said.Time to eat.The beans is burning.

If only more people thought that way instead of being selfish. The world (and the Pine Barrens) would be a better place.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
If only more people thought that way instead of being selfish. The world (and the Pine Barrens) would be a better place.

Y-Buc-Bill is one of the most respectful and respected men that I know.
I truly value him as a friend.
Bill has lived a lot of pines history and remains active in sportsmen's and offroad enduro interests in his young 80's.
Sorry about the age giveaway Bill. :)
I hope I can hold a candle to you when I hit that age.