1st Time to Jemima Mt

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Sunday was the 1st time the wife and I had been to Jemima Mt. It's a pretty interesting place, if you're into big hills/trails. At first we didn't think we'd make it due the very wet roads leading to it, however the bypasses allowed us to get there. We were able to navigate the far right road leading up to the top. No way were we going to try the other (3) access paths up to the top, although it's clear that many have tried.

CIMG0177.JPG

CIMG0179.JPG

CIMG0180.JPG

CIMG0182.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you like high spots which many of us do, I still say the most interesting one that has easy foot access to in that general area is on Carranza Road at Hampton Gate. You get a nice dropoff and massive stones.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...676604&spn=0.006116,0.012971&t=k&om=1&iwloc=A

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.80224&lon=-74.67637&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

There is another one close-by that is on private property that I got permission to "climb" that is interesting, but not quite as interesting.

Guy

Sep 11, 2006
Bayville, NJ
If you like high spots which many of us do, I still say the most interesting one that has easy foot access to in that general area is on Carranza Road at Hampton Gate. You get a nice dropoff and massive stones.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...676604&spn=0.006116,0.012971&t=k&om=1&iwloc=A

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.80224&lon=-74.67637&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

There is another one close-by that is on private property that I got permission to "climb" that is interesting, but not quite as interesting.

Guy

Yeah but driving up hills is a lot more fun.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
PineBarra(e)nsJeepster, it may be fun, but if people keep driving on these little hills, they won't be here in a hundred years to enjoy. Stick to the peds, my Jeepin' friend.

Sep 11, 2006
Bayville, NJ
PineBarra(e)nsJeepster, it may be fun, but if people keep driving on these little hills, they won't be here in a hundred years to enjoy. Stick to the peds, my Jeepin' friend.

I know its spelt wrong, and there's a difference between driving up and hill and detroying a hill. These have been there for 100's of years and in fact the pines has taken back many of the places were once barren.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I know its spelt wrong, and there's a difference between driving up and hill and detroying a hill. These have been there for 100's of years and in fact the pines has taken back many of the places were once barren.

Sure - but nobody was dragging horses and wagons up those hills for hundreds of years.

I am pro-4WD by the way. I just know that too much vehicle traffic will destroy places. If you tread lightly, then everything is cool.

Guy should post his then and now picture of Old Half Way.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Jeepster,

I hope you don't take too unkindly to my "preaching," as I wouldn't want to get off on the wrong foot with anyone here. From what I have gathered from your posts, you seem to love the Pines, and I can see that you do alot by way of cleaning it up. I really appreciate that, and I appreciate Jeeping in the Pines. I am of the (strong) opinion that rompin' on hills and through streams (even the tiny ones) goes a long way in doing damage on many fronts. These little hills in South Jersey are precious few, and are subject to a fairly rapid rate of erosion, by geological standards. When vehicular traffic causes damage such as seen in the second photo posted by this_is_nascar, these erosional rates increase exponentially. Let's respect these "mountains" for the treasures they are and not squander them.

The other half of my sermon concerns streams. Don't get me wrong. I've wheeled through streams on a few occasions, but my conscience forbade me to do it after having become conscious of the ecological fragility and relative importance of these waterways. There are a myriad other reasons not to ford streams and wheel hills, but this sermon is getting long, and I really hate preaching.

Anyways, it's good to have you here, Jeepster. I hope you don't mind me expressing my opinion. I just felt the need to.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Sorry guys. I didn't mean to start a confrontation with my post. I can guarantee you that if I saw the well-known "No Motorized Vehicles Past This Point" sign, I would not have proceeded by vehicle. There was absolutely no sign posted. There's a difference, in my opinion, between tearing-up an area as shown in the one picture and slowly maneuvering up/down a path. I'm not one of these people that want to tear up a road for the sake of doing so. I'm also not one of these people that rut-up a puddle/hole, only to make it easier for some unsuspecting wheeler to get stuck in a hole that has 3" of water on top of 18" rut.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Down here in Pestletown the Forest Fire Service just finished dozing and "fixing" about a mile and a half of woods road off the end of my street.
They turned a passable road with several hard-bottomed holes into a total disaster. The hard-bottomed holes are now 100' stretches of slop with the consistency of cow sh-t.
The 4x4 kids have found it and words out .
The FFS guys have defeated themselves on this one and probably won't be able to use the road in 6 months.
I have been wheeling and dirt biking the pines over 30 years and find that most 4x4 people respect the woods.
The most numb-nutted wheelers that I have occasion to yank out are 17-20 years old with either daddy's truck or a rolling parts wagon with 44's and a blue smokin' big block.
Scott

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Gotta say, I do love that last photo. That would make a great painting. Maybe its just me, but it is quintisssentially the pines. And, it is an excellant representation of the Jemima Mount area.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Down here in Pestletown the Forest Fire Service just finished dozing and "fixing" about a mile and a half of woods road off the end of my street.
They turned a passable road with several hard-bottomed holes into a total disaster. The hard-bottomed holes are now 100' stretches of slop with the consistency of cow sh-t.The 4x4 kids have found it and words out .
Scott

Out riding this Morn' early, 7:00 I took this stretch of "Wharton Ave".
After the State did the deed I've been down it but not until after some good rain and the formentioned "4X4 KIDS" did it occur to me just how bad this turned out! Absolutely useless !! To the state persons who decided this was wise..... Nice job guys! You just destroyed this road, completely.

g.

00xj54

Scout
May 2, 2006
Out riding this Morn' early, 7:00 I took this stretch of "Wharton Ave".
After the State did the deed I've been down it but not until after some good rain and the formentioned "4X4 KIDS" did it occur to me just how bad this turned out! Absolutely useless !! To the state persons who decided this was wise..... Nice job guys! You just destroyed this road, completely.

g.

There is by passes for every single hole on that road.

If they're closing the road or whatever, that's lame because there is ton of garbage down that road that the "4X4 Kids" would have cleaned up on the Pines Clean up at the end of October.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
There is by passes for every single hole on that road.

If they're closing the road or whatever, that's lame because there is ton of garbage down that road that the "4X4 Kids" would have cleaned up on the Pines Clean up at the end of October.

Being off today, I was just again down the Wharton Ave moments ago scouting trash of which there is plenty. With all due respect, yes there are passes, but passes just make for more damage and to be honest, many of your "passes" barely suit my Quad. It's easy enough for me to navigate but any.... vehicle would just worsen the situation unless it travelled in a very delicate manner. Please take no offense but it's a wreck and with hunting season coming it's just gonna get worse. If the 4x4 kids "would have" cleaned up, rest assured... I will.

G.