360 Panorama

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
"The first time ZI seen this spot was from a canoe and me and Whip got stuck on the falls thinking that this was the main channel.I have since learned the right hand channel facing upstream is the way to go.
Al

Where did you put in - Speedwell?
yes we put in at Speedwell and ascended the Tulpe from the Wading .We didn't go much further that day but returned to ultimately ascend to the featherbed branch junction and we walked the tulpe from carranza down to hawkins bridge.We then took out at beaver branch though now I usually continue down to charcoal landing

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
What a beautiful spot, with its incredible tapestry of moss! It's such fun to be able to pan up into the trees all the way to the sky.

Thanks for enduring what it cost to get there and for sharing it with us.

Glo

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have a dilemma,

The panoramas I have posted here have been exactly what the camera has taken.I think most photos look better with the brightness decreased a little and the contrast increased a little and I finally found a program that can do this and handle the whole jpeg at one time.These Jpegs are between 120 and 180 megs big and most of my photo editing programs could not handle the whole jpeg at one time.I tried changing all 52 exposures one at a time and this semi worked but my stitching software made some of the exposures look like mud when i did this.I cannot show you folks here the tweaked photos because in order to upload anything to photosynth directly it must be multiple photos,in order to import anything into my stitching software (Microsoft ICE) it also must be more then one photo so I cxannot import one massive jpeg into photosynth either way (ICE imports into the photosynth website)I can tweak all 52 exposures (How many exposures I must take to do a full spherical pano) but ICE most likely will screw it up.So then I went to my photobucket account and figured I can download these huge photos into that and if anyone wants to see the tweaked pano they can download this big jpeg and download FSP viewr to view the pano with or I can send it to individuals as an attachment in email.It needs no istallation and opens as a zip file but photobucket obviously cannot handle such big photos either since at 94% it gives me an error message.I have tried to find free sites to upload these panos to for viewing and while several claim free use for non commercial purposes and only charge those who advertise businesses with their panos in the end so far they have all lied and just waste my time filling out profiles and such till in the end they have their hand out as well.By the way the awesome free software that I can tweak these huge phots with is called GIMP.So what i need to know is does anyone know a place that allows uploads of very huge photos that can be downloaded by other users who will want to put it into a pano viwer and does this for free?If I was making money off of it I could see the site owner wanting to as well but I"m not.
By the way I tried Flickr because I read they actually host panos but I could not figure out their uploading system at all.
Thanks for any help,
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Al,

You can upload them to your Comcast webspace. It will hold 2GB per account which is way more than you will ever need. Here are the directions on how to do that. I believe I have them completely correct but if you have any problems let me know. If anyone else has a Comcast account and wan't to upload photo's quickly and for free follow along below.

Log into your Comcast account and look for the blue area that says "Users & Settings" and click on it. Once into that area go to the "High-Speed Internet Settings" and turn on "Personal Web Pages." Once done log out of your Comcast account. Now I seem to remember when I first starting using my storage at Comcast they required about 24 hours to get it up and running. That may not be the case anymore but in any event you should do this ASAP. You may have to wait 24 hours to do what is below. Maybe.

There are various FTP clients you can use so I have just quickly chose one free client which is "FileZilla" that you can download here.

http://filezilla-project.org/

Install the program and launch it. Close out the small window that may show up once it is launched but keep the main window open. At the top where it says "Host" you put in "upload.comcast.net" without the quotes. Where is says "username" you put in your Comcast username, and where it says "password" you put in your Comcast password. Then click the "Quick connect" button and you will log into your account assuming you do not have to wait the 24 hours I mentioned above.

The files in the left window are in your computer, and the files on the right is what is on your website. Choose a photo on the left and depending on your computer you either either right or left click on it and choose "Upload". The file uploads and shows on the right side. Thats it. Once you do this it will remember the info and you never need to put the above info in again. Just choose the account and it logs in.

Now, lets say it is my account and I titled it 070d.jpg. I would go to http://home.comcast.net/~teegate/070d.jpg and there would be my photo. You would just use your screen name in place of teegate.

If you are uploading anything other than a photo, make sure you zip it first and the file is titled whatever.zip Change whatever to the file name you choose.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks Guy!
just saw this.I'm hittin the hay now but will do this tomorrow if I have time.The doc is calling tomorrow to set upo an operation date but it looks as if I will have to work at least a week or so on the tank rebuild at work which is four days a week starting 6 pm on wed ten hours to 4 am and i will finish up at 4am on sundays.This is my shcedule till the operation unless he puts me out early because of the possibility of jack hammering screwing my arm up worse then it is.I have a shoulder spur with possible tears caused by it in my rotator cup.he will not know till he gets in there because when they did my MRI they did not inject me with dye.He said whatever he encounters he will fix while in there and It may be up to a two hour surgery same day and I may be out of work up to twelve weeks with physical therapy.Gettin old sucks.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy
I just got as far as downloading the client(stayed up late) it is not accepting my password.perhaps i do need to wait 24 hours.in any case is there a way people can download these photos or would I need to give them my password?I noticed there was a filezilla server that claimed to allow exchange of files with other people.I downloaded it but didn't know exactly how to run it so deleted it.Perhaps I need to try again?I want to allow folks to download the jpegs so they can view the panos with their own pano viwer since I cannot upload the finished product to photosynth as a single jpeg.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy
in any case is there a way people can download these photos or would I need to give them my password?I noticed there was a filezilla server that claimed to allow exchange of files with other people.I downloaded it but didn't know exactly how to run it so deleted it.Perhaps I need to try again?I want to allow folks to download the jpegs so they can view the panos with their own pano viwer since I cannot upload the finished product to photosynth as a single jpeg.
Al

You need to get logged in to upload your photo's. Until the 24 hours is up I can't see us being concerned.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
It has now been about 40 hours and i still cannot connect.I tride both of my comcast usernames and they both have the same password and it will not connect.I have had problems with comcast ever since I've gotten it and this is just another example.I guess I will just have to keep my enhanced pano jpegs to myself.Thanks for the info though.I did at least establish the fact that my main name on comcast is not manumuskin.Apparently i used another name i used for awhile long ago to set up the account.I don't know why i did that since I was manumuskin back then too.I think it was giving me a ration of crap with manumuskin so i used the other name and then forgot I did that but regardless I cannot connect.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you can get into your account it shows all the names you have.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looks great. Thanks for showing us. BTW, I noticed that many people put their name and copyright on the round tripod. You might want to think about making something so that when you take that photo your name is on there.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes Guy, I have noticed that.You need a program that will allow you to manually stitch photos to do that.What I am going to try my next time out is to remove the tripod for the nadir shots (straight down) and take those by hand so that the tripod does not even show.I don't need my name on it if I can do this.I think done this way they look even better then the signature at the bottom.
Al

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Manumuskin, I think you have found the ultimate wall paper for a den or study. I wonder if a shop could print a photo of a favorite location on vinyl?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Manumuskin, I think you have found the ultimate wall paper for a den or study. I wonder if a shop could print a photo of a favorite location on vinyl?

There is a screensaver to put these or any pano on if you want it.If you can figure out to get any of these on wall paper feel free to do so.You may need to build your den in the shape of a bubble to get the paper to fit:)
Al
Sorry to see your car,Hope your insurance covers it.
Al

Reactions: Gibby

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=1404750b-e4bb-4123-aab4-ef89661fb590

I had some problems with this pano.For one the zenith is warped a little.I blame that on the software but the nadir has a hole in it.This is my fault.Comes from trying to freehand that area to get rid of the tripod.I think next time I go out I'm going to trace an area around the tripod so i can see exactly what area i have to cover in freehand photos instead of guessing after I remove the tripod.If anyone has any ideas let me know.I have went on pano forums but they are of course way above my head and I either don;t have the equipment,software or the savvy of what their talking about.This is a gorgeous area.The upper branches are blue.I set the EV for sunny and all exposures have to be he same so i don't know what to do to stop this either.I shouldn't do these on sunny days but I do em when I get the opportunity.
Al

Reactions: dogg57

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Since you have some experience under your belt with this now, what is your opinion on how well it would do with a night shot? Is it possible to photograph a night sky full of stars with this? Could an average person stitch a series of photos taken at night?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Since you have some experience under your belt with this now, what is your opinion on how well it would do with a night shot? Is it possible to photograph a night sky full of stars with this? Could an average person stitch a series of photos taken at night?

I can't cover it with a single shot because I do not have a fish eye lens but what i think i will do is map out the uncovered area on the ground with sticks by making a stake where the tripod center is and then four directionals laying down to give me a grid so i know exactly where to line my shots up and then i will take three overlapping where the tripod handle was which will be marked by a stick lying under it.
As for the night shots there are excellent panos on Google earth og night shots but here lies the problem.In order to get good night start shots you need to set a long exposure time which of course means a tripod.You also need a drive if you don't want star trails because if you expose over 15 seconds you will get trails do to Earths spin so a drive is necessary.In order to get real depth of your star field you will probably have to take shots of at least several minutes exposure.Since this is very time consuming and the earth is spinning it would probably take several nights to ge a decent pano since you will be losing your western sky and gaining eastern sky.It would be a very technical; thing to do with my small digital camera.It would probably have to be done with a large fish eye lens or a very patient person with some great stitching software.
Al