$9.7 million to preserve 5,000 acres of woodlands and wetlands

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
New Jersey is spending $9.7 million to preserve more than 5,000 acres of woodlands and wetlands in Atlantic County's Great Egg Harbor River watershed.
The deal helps link more than 56,000 acres of previously existing state wildlife management areas, plus thousands of additional acres of county parkland.
The state's Green Acres program is purchasing the land from Lenape Farms and HBH Associates. The property flanks Route 50 in Estell Manor.
The Environmental Protection Department says the purchase protects the headwaters of Steven's Creek, Gibson's Creek and Mill Creek, which are tributaries to Great Egg Harbor River.
The property provides habitat for the barred owl, northern pine snake, Pine Barrens tree frog, Cooper's hawk, timber rattlesnake, Cope's gray tree frog, bald eagle, red-headed woodpecker and diamondback terrapin.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/p...atepreservesmorethan5kacresinsouthjersey.html

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I really like that when they basically give away endangered species locations over the internet and newspapers.Yes Boyd it looks like that area is about to open up.Contrary to popular opinion I would rather be on public land,much less stress that way and I can't run like I use to so am more apt to get caught.Would be nice just to be able to walk in instead of swimming the river under cover of darkness. How many folks down your way are going to freak when they realize now that they have rattlers nearby?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
okay they say this is going to protect the headwaters of Gibson Creek,Stephens creek and Mill creek.The only Mill Creek I see on the topo is Warners Mill creek,been in those woods a few times myself,an old graveyard little known about in there.Now this would place the purchase on the west side of route 50,Do you think it will encompass those woods we were discussing east of 50 Boyd? It looks like that hunting preserve with the ten foot high fence may be included in this property?If thats so I'll be all up in there.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I really like that when they basically give away endangered species locations over the internet and newspapers.

Manu, I have noticed that most of society won't even pay any attention to that list and I doubt that they will even know that any of the listed wildlife are endangered. Only those who are aware of how significant that list, like the forum members, will realize the value of the acquired land. The newly preserved property seems to be a great addition to me.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
About a half hour drive for me but it's on Boyd's doorstep.I'd love to see a map of the property.I've probably been on some of it.Lot of woods out that way are owned by hunting clubs and in summer no one is there.Used to live in Belleplain and I was a lot closer to that area back then.When I lived in Belleplain I was flabbergasted that many of the locals I ran into in town had no idea what was off the blacktop roads and they had lived there their whole lives.The hunters knew the woods but for those that didn't hunt they had no idea they were in a tick and briar infested paradise.I would rave about some of the beautiful abandoned cranberry bogs in the area and they would go Huh? I never heard of them.I guess the woods are an acquired taste.I was fortunate to be around before video games and most child thievery.My parents let me run at large and only had to be home by dark when I was eight till about 14 years old,then I could stay out half the night as well on weekends or go camping by myself all night.You let a kid do that now they'd come up missing.I would think nothing of riding my Huffy or walking for ten miles from Millville up the west side of Union lake to Carmel or when I lived in the lake I'd head from here to Dividing creek through the woods.Mom took eighty ticks off of me one evening when I came home.About a dozen got me.I think if they took my blood they could make a vaccine for Lyme's.had feet so tough in summer I stuck a tack in my heel and felt a pinch bu paid it no mind.My foot started hurting later in the day,i lifted it up and pulled a tack out of my heel.Got blood poisoning,Granny cured it with Epsom Salts.Those were the days! :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I don't know the boundaries, guess we will have to wait for more information. But I posted the Lenape Farms property tax records and some maps in that other thread (see link in my post above). The piece on the West side of Rt 50 is ~2000 acres and the piece on East side (the game preserve) is ~3000 acres. So that adds up to 5000 acres, is the headwaters of Stephen Creek and is all owned by Lenape.

Gibby, it's more like my front yard but yeah, it's very cool. I didn't think I would ever have a chance to explore inside that big fence. Funny how this happened just as we were discussing that very area. It's interesting how (apparently) Lenape only acquired the land in 2012, then sold it to the state. The cynic in me makes me wonder what we would find if we followed the money. But - whatever - I like it. :)

Al is right, those thorny vines are worse than barbed wire - very nasty. Also some dense holly and laurel thickets. The going can get pretty rough bushwacking through those areas, and you see very little sign that anyone else has been there recently.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I would think nothing of riding my Huffy or walking for ten miles from Millville up the west side of Union lake to Carmel or when I lived in the lake I'd head from here to Dividing creek through the woods....those were the days! :)

Al, I'd love to see a photo of you when you were 10-15 or so. Got one to post?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Here am the map. I received the news release yesterday at work.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/docs/lenapefarms-map.pdf

This place is awesome.
I remember driving past their 8' high deer fence years ago and I know someone who was invited to hunt at the private hunting club. There was a very hefty buy-in membership fee if I remember correctly and my friend told me they had paid drivers to push the deer.

I am very, very glad to see it is tied to the WMA's and that NJ Fish & Wildlife is a big part of the management picture.

Reactions: dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
PbX Hike!!! Maybe Boyd will join in and we can make him hate those woods :D

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thanks for the map Scott, this is very cool. Aside from opening up new land to explore, I'm especially glad that such a large parcel saved from development in the future. But I'm wondering if my taxes will go up? Tiny Estell Manor is going to lose a lot of taxable land in the deal ($26,000 based on the records I posted before). Are towns somehow compensated when this kind of purchase takes place?

Regardless, it's great news.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I was actually going to chime in last night that many of those species don't exist on that land. Def no timbers, prob no pine snakes and the pbtf aren't abundant. I guess there is a remote chance of timbers but there is not a whole lot of records recently below the mullica.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
We need to get Scott to confront his fear of snakes.We'll take this in stages.We'll start with Ringnecks and worm snakes and gradually progress up to the point where He is wrangling rattlers.In the beginning stages we can allow him use of his courage fortifying home brew but eventually he must progress to snake handling stone sober.Time to man up Buttercup.Bring on the snakes!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com