A Great Day In The Pines

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

We went again to check on the Lady Slippers, and it seems like some of the plants are never going to mature. While looking them over a Tiger Beetle suddenly appeared next to me. They are really shy.

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

IMG_1802.JPG

From there we headed over to look at a sedge Bob had asked me to check on, and while there we noticed that the Turkey Beard is starting to flower.

IMG_1811.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG

Then to meet up with Bob and Buddy for a day of plant searching and adventure. At our first stop deep in a cedar swamp, we were surprised to find Arethusa in full bloom and we counted almost 50 of them. A wonderful find this early Bob would say. I am still learning how to take plant photo’s for sure.

IMG_1825.JPG

IMG_1829.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

Taking a break at the waterfall. A really nice place!

IMG_1843.JPG

A five star flower. I still have not figured out why some of the photo’s just don’t look clear. In any event, you can see that the center portion is what attracts the various other bugs to it, and when they get there they touch the outer portion and send the pollen on it's way. I guess you can see that I know all of the technical terms :bang:

IMG_1881a.jpg

Buddy ate one of them, and a ton of grass, so don’t click on this link if you would prefer not to see the result of that.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/05232009/IMG_1886.JPG

Bob, the name you gave me for this seems to be non existent.

IMG_1888.JPG

Jessica discovered hundreds of tadpoles in a puddle on a road. There was a frog there that kept going back in the puddle when we would leave.

IMG_1890.JPG

Next, off to Webb’s Mill Bog. It is flooded as you have been reading on this site.

IMG_1891.JPG

So we headed on down to check out the beaver dam, and I parked my car in the small parking area where the dumpster was for the clean-up. As we were ready to walk to the dam Bob spotted this coming out from under my car. A close call! Dragon would be pissed at me! And when we were leaving I looked under my car for the turtle and he was under my tire hiding. Another close call for sure!

IMG_1898.JPG

IMG_1899.JPG

IMG_1900.JPG

The beaver dam causing all the problems.

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1903.JPG

I climbed into the dam and took this at water lever.

IMG_1904.JPG

All of a sudden the dam broke loose! How could that happen!

IMG_1907.JPG

Bob was shocked! Give this video time to load. Quicktime needed.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/05232009/dam.mov

Jeff......what plant is this??? I bet you have never looked for this one before :)

IMG_1910.JPG

Then off to Black’s Bridge. You may remember Ben posting and saying it is flooded on one side and not the other. Sure enough, Ben knows his beaver :)

They have completely encased the bottom of the bridge with sticks and mud cutting off the flow of water under that small span.

IMG_1913.JPG

So here is one side, and the next photo is the other. They are amazing creatures!

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

Who is that pulling out the sticks and mud returning the flow to a thunderous roar?

IMG_1920.JPG

After an adventurous day we had to leave, and I decided to back up across the bridge past Bob’s vehicle. When one drives a little too fast in reverse, one pays the price.

IMG_1922.JPG

Not to worry, help was quick to respond!

IMG_1928.JPG

And finally, turn up your volume and enjoy a short visit to one of the nicest locations in the pines I have been in for a while. Clean water, great company, wonderful sounds, and a dog that eats grass and throws up next to Jessica, who herself almost threw up. A wonderful day for sure!

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/05232009/waterfall.mov

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, while at the beaver dam at Webb’s Mill, we ran into two of the men who are giving the Bartram's Gardens Tour that HawkinNative posted about. They were doing a dry run and noticed the flooding at Webb’s Mill and were deciding if they wanted to skip that location or not. Two interesting and informative individuals. And very nice. If you go I suspect you will not be disappointed. Make sure you mention Bob and I to them :)

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=6462

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Excellent stuff, Guy. You're getting pretty sharp with that camera, I'd say. I really enjoyed the plant shots, and the tiger beetle, not to mention the enterprising beavers that got themselves a pond on the cheap at Black's Bridge.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Glad someone came in and restored the natural flow under Black's Bridge. :)

I figured that with all that water on the road someone was sure to turn it into a big mud pit.

They flooded that complete swamp there and it was washing across the road. There were thousands of gallons of water going under that bridge when we left, and it had not dropped more than 1 inch. It will take days for that to drop even if they don't come back and fix it. That has been there for a long time.

And while we were there a Jeep came by with a woman driving and a man in the passenger seat, and their vehicle was mud from top to bottom and inside. Bob was concerned they were driving in some of the more fragile area's around there. They were lost and asked us what was ahead of them, which was 539. Minutes later they came back and headed in the same direction they came from. They almost ran over Buddy! If she hadn't stopped she would have.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/05232009/dam.mov

Jeff......what plant is this??? I bet you have never looked for this one before :)

IMG_1910.JPG

Guy

I see Bob remembers our conversation at the start of the last PBX hike. Yes, Alder. So everyone understands, I kept seeing catkins on scrub oak and saying "look, there's alder", however, I should point out that catkins exist on Alder also and I was fresh from seeing a bunch near friendship and a bit quick on the trigger.

You guys had a great day!! Perfect weather also. thanks for the report.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see Bob remembers our conversation at the start of the last PBX hike. Yes, Alder. So everyone understands, I kept seeing catkins on scrub oak and saying "look, there's alder", however, I should point out that catkins exist on Alder also and I was fresh from seeing a bunch near friendship and a bit quick on the trigger.

You guys had a great day!! Perfect weather also. thanks for the report.

Jeff

That one is right there along the road by the beaver dam at Webb's Mill. If anyone goes there look for it across the road from the dam heading towards the small parking area. Also, check out the three slashes on the tree at the parking area from the survey of the Greenwood Forest.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Mr. Guy, its always a great day in the Pines with you and Jess. What weather, eh?

You did not find that name because you were probably spelling it with a "Y". Try Eubotrys racemosa. The Star flower is Trientalis borealis.

Here is life being borne:

watermark.php

Our Arethusa. These are usually quite variable in pink color. This population was not.

watermark.php

A closer look:

watermark.php

Look at this flower. Is this sensuous or not? Look at the way this pretty lady lays it out. Curvaceous.

watermark.php

Oct 25, 2006
Looks like you all had a great day, you got the water flowing again.

The refuse that is surrounding Black's Bridge, i was wondering from my previous trips there, is that the remains of the Eureka Gun Club ? Did you get the Permanone ?

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

I did not notice if you were using that adaptor for you camera. Were you? If so, it works well. I have to practice more since all of my close-ups are blurry.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, I did not notice if you were using that adaptor for you camera. Were you? If so, it works well. I have to practice more since all of my close-ups are blurry. Guy

Yes, I was using that adapter. It does work pretty good. I don't understand what you're saying, my close-ups are no better than the ones you took? Did you zoom in on the beard on that first one you took, I'll bet its just like mine.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Whoever was responsible for camouflage in the Insect world sure messed up with the Tiger Beetle! Walking Sticks must make fun of them all the time. Bob, In the last couple trip reports I've noticed some new headgear, My guess is you bought it on your trip to Texas.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, In the last couple trip reports I've noticed some new headgear, My guess is you bought it on your trip to Texas.

Indeed, I did get my hat in Texas. As I was going through the hill country I saw a rancher walking across his property in the blazing sun and he had a hat that was wide brimmed and looked like the one I have on. He looked calm and cool, so like a little kid, I wanted one. A few days later in Austin I mentioned it to my business host and he took me to a hat and boot emporium on the way downtown and I picked it up.

This is a Palm hat, handmade in Guatemala. They can be easily shaped with water, and will make it any shape you want, but I chose this one off the shelf. I like to keep the sun from beating on my head, so always have an interest in hats that do that well--and this one does.

I was a little hesitant going into the swamp with this hat (close quarters), but have found it to be extremely useful as it just pushes brush aside with no problem and protects my head well. It holds on very well too.

I hold no illusions, pine flies will get at my neck and face, so next month I may have to improvise.

http://www.sunbody.com/

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think it is my bifocals that is causing to to think they are out of focus. I changed my monitor angle and things look clearer. After all these years I still am not use to them:jeffd:

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't see any that look like it on that site.

Guy