A Great Day In The Pines

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I went this morning. Our beaver was back at work, so I cleared it again. The bog is about 60% better and should be good by tonite. Found this too:

watermark.php

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is from 46er.

I may get there tonight or tomorrow morning or evening to check on it also.

Gu

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
A similar break in the dam at Webbs Mills coincidentally occurred while I was there a few years back. Wonders never seem to cease, do they? There is no keeping up with the beavers however. They have nothing but time on their hands (paws?) and are very good at it. There is only one solution. The beavers need to be trapped out.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm hip to that German. I just thought that we might give the bog a break and maybe some of the plants will spring forth in June (Asphodel, etc.). If this works, we should set up a dam buster brigade every April and May.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Really nice

Thanks for a lot of really nice photos, excluding the puke. A quicktime of the little waterfall would have been a frosting on the cake. It looks so peaceful. Gosh I'm homesick now!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was there tonight and the water level is way down. Things are looking up. The small pipe has no water going through it now. However, that has caused a slight problem. There are small fish trapped in a very small puddle on the other side. I caught a few of them but it took more time than I had so I had to leave. If anyone goes there tomorrow try to catch them and throw them in the other side. The puddle may dry up soon.

We just need to keep at the beavers and they may get discouraged. I will check it each time I go through.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Look what that little beaver stuck in that pipe last nite, the little rascal.

watermark.php

Also, note how he had been building last nite. He used 2" logs longitudinally with the current and then started to shore it up with Eubotrys racemosa.

watermark.php

He was really making progress.

By the way, this morning after I got done I walked out to the road, and here comes an entire Japanese family in a van with NY plates. They could not find the boardwalk. I gave them a personal tour. They were from Syracuse NY and the 12 year old son had found the bog on the internet and bugged his dad to take him there. He was super-interested in the carnivorous plants and a really smart little boy. He knew nitrogen was what they were after, and knew the genus of sundews. I really enjoyed them, there were 2 teens plus the boy, and Mom and Dad. Made me wish for those days again.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They found the right person to meet up with! Did you tell them about the beaver dam and the problems it was causing for the bog? Did you mention for him to come to this site?

Now we can see why (now let me get this correct) residents who were born in other countries are so smart. They have parents who are willing to drive for hours to take their family to the middle of nowhere to see a few plants. I give them credit for that.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,

I consulted with my beetle expert friend and he told me you had photographed a Caterpillar Hunter and provided me with this link:

http://entomology.uark.edu/museum/cathunt.html

He also wrote that he had only seen two or three in the past, so it was a good find in the Pines!

That you for that info! And thank your friend for me. I will alter my records but I guess I will keep the above post as is so that everyone can follow along.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
After reading the info I can now see why it just showed up. It must have fell or flew down from a tree. I heard the noise and it was next to me where it wasn't before.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Guy,
Yourself and Bob really do have a knack for bringing the more brilliant of the flora of the Pine Barrens back for the rest of us to enjoy. Good stuff.

g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Largo and All,

I am glad you found our adventure and photo's interesting. I know there will be some more interesting flowers to be shown in the future.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Look what that little beaver stuck in that pipe last nite, the little rascal.

watermark.php

Also, note how he had been building last nite. He used 2" logs longitudinally with the current and then started to shore it up with Eubotrys racemosa.

watermark.php

He was really making progress.

By the way, this morning after I got done I walked out to the road, and here comes an entire Japanese family in a van with NY plates. They could not find the boardwalk. I gave them a personal tour. They were from Syracuse NY and the 12 year old son had found the bog on the internet and bugged his dad to take him there. He was super-interested in the carnivorous plants and a really smart little boy. He knew nitrogen was what they were after, and knew the genus of sundews. I really enjoyed them, there were 2 teens plus the boy, and Mom and Dad. Made me wish for those days again.

That was good of you to do that and, echoing Guy's comment, they really did luck out to find you there. So they drove all the way from NY. Wow! That is pretty cool, and pretty cool of his parents.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My wife and Jennifer visited the beaver dam late this afternoon, and I believe 46er is correct when he told me there is no activity to rebuild it. Unless someone is constantly working on keeping it clear, the beavers may be gone. The water is low and flowing well.

There were ATV riders nearby on the hill just near the dam. They were there making noises the complete time we were there. If they were smart they would stay clear of there :)

And right on 539 at the entrance to Blacks Bridge where they put the curbing, an older man had just ran off the road into the trees shortly before we got there. The police were just getting out of their car to talk to him. When we drove by later I took my camera out and pushed the button as we passed, and hit the off button by accident and missed the photo. The man was just sitting in his car in the woods with his feet out the door and the cop was in his car.

My wife had a tick on her when we got home and you never saw anyone get a shower so quick. :D

Guy

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Indeed, I did get my hat in Texas. As I was going through the hill country I saw a rancher walking across his property in the blazing sun and he had a hat that was wide brimmed and looked like the one I have on. He looked calm and cool, so like a little kid, I wanted one. A few days later in Austin I mentioned it to my business host and he took me to a hat and boot emporium on the way downtown and I picked it up.

This is a Palm hat, handmade in Guatemala. They can be easily shaped with water, and will make it any shape you want, but I chose this one off the shelf. I like to keep the sun from beating on my head, so always have an interest in hats that do that well--and this one does.

I was a little hesitant going into the swamp with this hat (close quarters), but have found it to be extremely useful as it just pushes brush aside with no problem and protects my head well. It holds on very well too.

I hold no illusions, pine flies will get at my neck and face, so next month I may have to improvise.

http://www.sunbody.com/
Bob,
I've seen you cutting your lawn with that hat on. If you ever see us with our hats on, they too were purchased while staying with friends in Fort Worth, TX. We usually go down there for 2 weeks every summer. Doesnt seem right buying a cowboy hat in these parts.