A Great Day In The Pines

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
In regards to the beaver, I dont completely comprehend the strategy behind trapping them. I've heard this voiced on this site multiple times. For a site full of nature lovers, Im interested in knowing the motive behind this. I dont see how they're obstructing the "natural flow" when that bridge and culvert arent natural in any way. Natural things are untouched by man. Im sure the dam might be hindering the lives of other fauna and flora, but that seems to be more natural then building bridges and putting in culverts, mostly to please human activity. I think its fine to release the material once in a while, but if you trap every beaver thats been a nuisance, there wouldnt be many left in this state.. that I think, would be a sad story. There arent many places in this state to re-release them where they wouldnt cause more problems. I strongly feel that because we are the cause behind all the development in this state and loss of habitat, that we should also hold the obligation to make sure these animals still have some safe living space. If not here, then where? Maybe Im missing something that someone could shed some light on. Im all ears and this is just my two cents.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
My bad.. its so they don't have to travel on land where they are more at risk. Are we being graded on typing when this is through? If so, you lose a point too for spelling "herbivoires" wrong (joking).

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Maybe Im missing something that someone could shed some light on. Im all ears and this is just my two cents.

Simply put, the damn dam would not have been built if the road/culvert was not there. The road/culvert put in place a funneling point for the water seeping from the bog, with out the road/culvert there would not be a location for the damn dam to be built. Some feel, as I do, that if man alters something in nature that causes ill effects, he should return it to its original state when possible. Reality says the road would not be removed. And it is very possible that the beavers that built the damn dam were released there after being trapped somewhere else; if that is the case, they were just renting and the lease ran out. :D

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Simply put, the damn dam would not have been built if the road/culvert was not there. The road/culvert put in place a funneling point for the water seeping from the bog, with out the road/culvert there would not be a location for the damn dam to be built. Some feel, as I do, that if man alters something in nature that causes ill effects, he should return it to its original state when possible. Reality says the road would not be removed. And it is very possible that the beavers that built the damn dam were released there after being trapped somewhere else; if that is the case, they were just renting and the lease ran out. :D
Good info.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Mike, 99% of the time I agree that we should just leave the Beavers alone. However, Webbs Mill Bog is a special place. Man's activities back there have unwittingly created a bog that is a stunning showcase for native Pine Barren plants. It is a place that attracts visitors from all over. It is probably our best PR tool going besides places like Batsto for keeping the Pine Barrens out of the hands of developers.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
The spelling I used is the French version of the word; if you want the English version, it is herbivore. Some folks spell it with an “a,” but that is incorrect in the same way that “cemetery” does not contain an “a” nor will it ever! BTW, “its” represents possessive and “it’s” is a contraction of “it is.”

Congratulations for finding that you DO have an apostrophe key on your keyboard!

Jerseyman

haha.. I was only kidding man. Yah, believe it or not I was an English major in college and taught it for a few years as well. Pretty sure I know the difference but thanks for taking the time to point out all the little stuff, well done.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Mike, 99% of the time I agree that we should just leave the Beavers alone. However, Webbs Mill Bog is a special place. Man's activities back there have unwittingly created a bog that is a stunning showcase for native Pine Barren plants. It is a place that attracts visitors from all over. It is probably our best PR tool going besides places like Batsto for keeping the Pine Barrens out of the hands of developers.

Gotcha. Just wondering if it was important enough to remove the beaver. I guess you either have to be for or against the beave (no pun intended).

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Piney Mike, you certainly bring up a good point and I never had a problem with beaver personally. The concern, as Bob pointed out, remains primarily on the adverse effect to the Webs' Mill bog. As a fisherman, I am pro-beaver as they tend to create larger, and more consistant water bodies.

So, I'm starting a new club: The Pro-Beaver Coalition for Fish Lovers!

Okay, who's in?

Jeff

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Piney Mike, you certainly bring up a good point and I never had a problem with beaver personally. The concern, as Bob pointed out, remains primarily on the adverse effect to the Webs' Mill bog. As a fisherman, I am pro-beaver as they tend to create larger, and more consistant water bodies.

So, I'm starting a new club: The Pro-Beaver Coalition for Fish Lovers!

Okay, who's in?

Jeff
I know beaver eat a lot of wood and plants, but for some reason always thought they ate fish because of all the trout I've come across at beaver ponds in the Adirondacks. Guess I was in the wrong. I just thought it'd be a bad sign to see them removed. They're just being beavers and stuff. Hey Woodjin, will this club have a clubhouse with a full bar and pin-up beaver pics? If so, I'd like to join as the V.P.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I visited the beaver dam at Webb's Mill late this afternoon and the road is getting washed out. There had to have been a massive amount of rain there sometime recently. The water level is high, so high it is coming out of the little pipe again. The dam is open; however, it may have been just opened again by someone since the water level seems much too high with a free flow.

IMG_2225.JPG

Guy

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
Hey everyone! Remember me? Well I was checking out the site and I stumbled across this post. It was kind of what I was looking for. Guy, you said that the beetle you photographed was a Tiger Beetle. I have been studying this little guy myself. I came across a whole bunch of them on a hike I took last week. They were so cool looking that they stuck in my mind and I had to find out more about them. From what I have learned I do not believe this beetle to be a Tiger Beetle. I believe that this beetle is commonly known as a Caterpillar Hunter or Searcher. Both Tiger Beetles and Searchers belong to the Carabidae family, however, they go into different catagories from there. The closest looking Tiger Beetle that I could find is Cicindela Scutellaris which is known as the Festive Tiger Beetle. What I believe our little friend here to be is a Calosoma Sycophanta or Forest Caterpillar Hunter. The biggest difference, I believe, is in the length and width of each one. Our little friend is shorter and wider than Tiger Beetles in general. Tiger Beetles a little longer and more narrow, especially below the head and above the elytra (wing covers). Also the elytra on our friend has grooves that run down its length that are not as prominant on Tiger Beetles. At first I thought him to be a Calosoma Scrutator or Fiery Searcher but the red on the sides do not match our friend. In conclusion (haha) I believe our little beetle specimen to be a Forest Caterpillar Hunter Calosoma Sycophanta.
Thoughts? Questions? Differing opinions?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I do not believe this beetle to be a Tiger Beetle. I believe that this beetle is commonly known as a Caterpillar Hunter or Searcher.

You are correct. If you go back and look at post 31 or 35 and read the quote, you will see that a member notified me of that. The problem is he left the site and removed his actual post. But his post is in my posts 31. I was going to change my original post, but felt it would be best to allow viewers to read that he corrected me. But his deleting of all his posts, and your post, makes me think I should have changed it.

Guy