A New Collection of Old Photo

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My next photo’s are a day in my life from 1/10/1977 which I will post tomorrow. We traveled extensively that day, visiting various places all over the pines. One location is a mystery to me, and I am looking for help on where it is. If you can figure this one out I would appreciate it.

Where is this located??? Maybe it is a familiar place and the photo is just throwing me off.

Image058.jpg

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Do you remember wearing jeans with the seam cut off the bottom of the legs so they would fray just so? If you recall, that was before we started wearing them with holes and paisley patches. The ones you wore frayed at the bottom were clean and neat otherwise.

Paisley patches!! Did you wear them to an Iron Butterfly concert? Or maybe hanging out at Haight Ashbury!I graduated from P.T.H.S. in 1979 we were wearing jeans,concert t's and flannels. Were you still in P.L. during high school?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is a “Then and Now” of the Chatsworth Fire Company from 1978 and today 4/12/08. For me the most interesting change is the amount of trees now visible and their height. It had become so obvious while looking back on the old photo that in the 1970’s the pines were still recovering from the massive tree cutting in the 1950s and the years previously to then. The trees today are so much taller because cutting has ended, along with various other reasons. Anyway, along with the trees we can see the changes are subtle. The propane tank, new doors, the addition, and a few other things.

Guy

watermark.php

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Villa D and Rick’s Pizza Tabernacle NJ

Located at 206 and 532 in Tabernacle there was in 1977 a liquor store called the Villa D, and across the street a Pizza place named Rick’s Pizza. Rick’s Pizza was still there until very recently and now what appears to be a drug store is being built at that location. We frequented Rick’s quite often and on this occasion while leaving the place we saw the state police had a vehicle stopped along 206. My friend snapped the below photo from the side window of my Land Cruiser. You may find it interesting, especially if you remember or frequented them.

First, let me explain their locations. The Villa D was located here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.84...186&spn=0.003175,0.005461&t=h&z=18&iwloc=addr

There also was an Inn there which I believe burned down. On the other side of the road you may remember seeing an old run down building that that was Ricks Pizza located here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...8538,-74.734717&spn=0.001588,0.00273&t=h&z=19

We were driving down that dirt driveway leaving Rick’s when this photo was taken. Notice the Villa D, and in my side view mirror you can see the Rick’s Pizza sign, along with the police with the car(s) stopped.

villaD.jpg

A closer look.

villa_ricks.jpg

The dirt driveway is no longer there, so today when I took a photo from the same location I was a little further away and too far to the right. You can tell that by the transformer on the pole. Notice the height of the trees in the 1977 photo and how tall they are on the right today. If I had gone a few months ago the trees that are no longer there would have blocked this shot.

IMG_0764.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I've driven by that spot on many trips to Atco Speedway.Didn't Ricks become Branco's Pizza for a short time?

I believe you are correct. BTW, I have some old photo's at Atco Speedway also. They are not very clear though.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

Tell me what you can gather from these photo’s. Is this the entrance to the Albert’s property, or is it another property with a sign mentioning it? I can’t quite decide what the sign is trying to say. George died in 1974 and soon after the playing of music there ended, and Joe died in 1987. They say deer roamed around the property all the time when they played, so if he was still living at the cabin the sign could be a funny reference about the deer.

albert.jpg

albert1.jpg

albert2.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A few more that were developed in 8/78

Here I am defacing the bridge at Martha with my pocket knife.

Image153.jpg

Took a ride down Route 9 and this was taken through my front window. Is this sign still there? If so, a “Then And Now” is in order.

Image164.jpg

This one was dark and I just could not get it to look well in color. I suspect it was at Brooksbrae only because the photo’s in order next to it are taken there.

Image169.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have mentioned this before; however, this photo gives you more of an idea what I was trying to convey. If you have been to the bridge at Martha and look upstream, you pretty much see water. But it was not like that in the 70’s. This photo shows me landing on the large island that was about 10 feet from the bridge. We would run across the bridge and would just make it without landing in the water.

Image152.jpg

There was a massive rain in the late 70’s that washed some of it away, and by 2002 it looked like this when Jessica and I visited it. Now it is I believe completely gone.

martha_bridge.JPG

Guy

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
What memories! I grew up in Indian Mills (Shamong) and I remember my father going to the Villa to pick up a 6 pack of beer. There was a softball field to left of it where I believe my father played softball as well. If my memory serves me right there was a deli to the left of the Villa as well. My father spent more than one night in the Villa having cold ones with friends.
Also, I would offer money for a copy of the picture of the train tracks. Simply awesome!