A New Collection of Old Photo

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, it is your lucky day! Here is a photo of that very same ball field and if I am correct they are actually making it. I think they are mowing it and building the backstop. What a place for a ball field! Can you picture the foul balls hitting cars on 206? Notice the Rick’s Pizza sign and the phone number.

Image119.jpg

Guy

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
Wow, how about that! A picture of the field being built. This website is amazing at times! I remember when that pizza place was Branco's, but that wasn't all that long ago. Being a car nut, I love seeing the old cars in the pics too!
I think you said you have some pics of Atco Raceway. Being that I work there, I would love to see them!
Thanks again.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wow, how about that! A picture of the field being built. This website is amazing at times! I remember when that pizza place was Branco's, but that wasn't all that long ago. Being a car nut, I love seeing the old cars in the pics too!
I think you said you have some pics of Atco Raceway. Being that I work there, I would love to see them!
Thanks again.

I have to scan them up. I will try tomorrow. I spent so much time scanning up the slides, and I am not done yet, that I took a break. The photo's of Atco are poor, so don't expect anything great.

I have a really nice photo of my car at the Harris Station sign intersection, that I found too late for my visit there last weekend. So I am going back and should have a really nice "Then and Now" soon. In my head I have visions of photo's that I remember seeing and this is one of them. I still have not come across the photo's I remember of the mileposts on the Jersey Central. I have looked through all of the slide and photo's I recently acquired, and it is not there, so I guess those photo's are lost forever. I don't have any more avenues to get them from. I have 800 slides of my own and thought I had more, so maybe, just maybe, I may find them some day.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Good stuff Guy. I used to go to the Villa D when they had disco in the middle seventies. My best friend met his wife there.

The Forked River House burned down about 10? years ago. There is a new fangled one in its place.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Paisley patches!! Did you wear them to an Iron Butterfly concert? Or maybe hanging out at Haight Ashbury!I graduated from P.T.H.S. in 1979 we were wearing jeans,concert t's and flannels. Were you still in P.L. during high school?

I wore them to Dead concerts! I graduated from Pemberton in 1972. I was in PL from 6th grade through high school, and for 4 years after that. I also lived on Hanover street and Yarrow Street in Browns Mills. Were you in the old school, or the new one?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, that does look like the Albert Brothers entrance by the road. But, they had a lot more signs, some of them unique. Maybe they were all down when you snapped those photos.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, that does look like the Albert Brothers entrance by the road. But, they had a lot more signs, some of them unique. Maybe they were all down when you snapped those photos.

Maybe I can get there on Sunday and see if any of the trees match. Thanks Bob!

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks again.

Since I am not certain that I was even there when these were taken, I am going to only post this one. You have to remember these are not really my photo's, I was offered them because I participated in most of them.

I am not certain when this was taken, but I would assume around 1978.

atco_speed.jpg

Guy

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
Thanks a lot for posting that picture. From the looks of it, 1978 is probably pretty accurate. It's a pair of funny cars for sure, just wish I knew which ones. The old starter's box was between the lanes at the starting line and the guardrails were set back so far! Plus they are using the old 5 amber "christmas tree." Today we use only 3 ambers and they are LED. When I'm at work tomorrow I'll take a pic from the same vantage point so we can compare. I love old pics of Atco Raceway and the fact that its two funny cars makes it even better! Thanks again!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks a lot for posting that picture. From the looks of it, 1978 is probably pretty accurate. It's a pair of funny cars for sure, just wish I knew which ones. The old starter's box was between the lanes at the starting line and the guardrails were set back so far! Plus they are using the old 5 amber "christmas tree." Today we use only 3 ambers and they are LED. When I'm at work tomorrow I'll take a pic from the same vantage point so we can compare. I love old pics of Atco Raceway and the fact that its two funny cars makes it even better! Thanks again!

Very nice! Can't wait to see the photo.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

I checked out the aerial views at the “Home Place”. And it was not there in 1931, it was in 1956 and 1963, but in the 1972 photo the dwellings were gone. I did not start exploring that area until 1973.

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I wore them to Dead concerts! I graduated from Pemberton in 1972. I was in PL from 6th grade through high school, and for 4 years after that. I also lived on Hanover street and Yarrow Street in Browns Mills. Were you in the old school, or the new one?

I was in the old H.S. for 9/10th grade and the new H.S. for 11/12th grade. Were you at the school when Benjy Clayton rode his Harley through the school? How about when Mr. Reed was thrown through the glass doors? My street runs from the lake, across E. Lakeshore and stops at Hanover Blvd. I had friends on Wheeler Trail, their family owned Broadway Takeout. I worked on two houses built on Yarrow St. in the early 80's

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
This is Atco Raceway as of today April 18th, 2008. I noticed the starting line is now set back further. I always think that not a lot has changed down here but after looking at the picture there has been many changes.

SANY1328.JPG

AJ1957

Scout
Apr 18, 2008

Cool that someone on this board works at Atco. I work at Raceway Park myself. Off this weekend for the swap meet.

Anyway after a quick look at the picture my first thought was the car in the right lane is Bruce Larsen's USA 1 Funny Car. After comparing to the photo found here I'm not so sure.

http://www.70sfunnycars.com/FunnyCars7.html

The car in the left lane looks more like some type of Altered to me. Notice that it's an older body style. Looks like some sort of coupe not a newer 60's or 70's body.

AJ

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice work on the photo Trailhead. I will scan up another photo that shows the cars much better. Then we may be able to figure out who it is. Knowing that info is worth showing another photo. Sometime tomorrow (Saturday) I will get it up.

Guy

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Guy:
Thanx for posting these old photos. Especially like the pics of the old Villa and Chatsworth FD. Past them both many times as a kid on summer weekends from Medford to Ship Bottom.
Did you ever find out where the photo in post#23 was taken? Can you remember the vicinity? That would be a great ruin to find,again.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Bayville Exxon in 1978. Check out the gas price! And I had just stopped working at a gas station then, and the price was almost half that when I started in 1973. And a tune up for $30.00! Actually, I suspect this was Christmas 1977.

Image177.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Cool that someone on this board works at Atco. I work at Raceway Park myself. Off this weekend for the swap meet.

Anyway after a quick look at the picture my first thought was the car in the right lane is Bruce Larsen's USA 1 Funny Car. After comparing to the photo found here I'm not so sure.

http://www.70sfunnycars.com/FunnyCars7.html

The car in the left lane looks more like some type of Altered to me. Notice that it's an older body style. Looks like some sort of coupe not a newer 60's or 70's body.

AJ

Here is a zoomed view. Any idea's now?

atco101.jpg

Guy

AJ1957

Scout
Apr 18, 2008
Here is a zoomed view. Any idea's now?

atco101.jpg

Guy

That’s not the same pair of cars that was in the original picture. But the way you zoomed this picture should make it easier to ID the cars.

I'll bring my laptop to work at Raceway Park on Wednesday. I'll get a bunch of people who combined have about a hundred years of drag racing experience to take a look. Maybe Trailhead can check at Atco.

AJ