A new stuck vehicle video

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My exp has been that law enforcement is thin in numbers and many times doesn't head into areas off the beaten path too much. There is lots of coverage around wharton these days its seems, especially around Caranza, however I'm not so sure those guys are always total up to speed on what and who to look for. Those guys seem less like ball busters and more like helpful rangers. I wish they were more ball busters sometimes.

The other issue is LE, IMO just doesn't share the same level of passion for the pines that all of us do here, which to be honest is a difficult level to attain and mantain. We see a guy rutting up a sand road as disrespect to 'our' woods, some people see it as good fun or not a big deal. I see the amphibians that are getting crushed, or turtle that is getting squashed, others see it as simply enjoying the woods. We all have a higher level of knowledge of what effects the pines, others just simply don't.

they have been ticketing people for riding around in the woods without seat belts.Sounds like ball busting to me.

Reactions: dogg57 and noboat

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com

I don't have any problem with folks like these going out and driving around on legal roads with their Jeeps. Considering that these are the folks that get involved in the big cleanups every year, I feel that they probably do more to preserve the Pine Barrens than a lot of other so-called environmentalists. If they want to drive around on marked roads, more power to them.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
While getting vastly irritated when I get almost stuck in a hole that was no problem the week before because some A hole decided to use it to play in even though it is in the middle of a well used road I have to admit that as far as I know that is not illegal,just inconsiderate as Ben stated.It would be nice to have the kind of money they must have in order to be able to afford to wilfully rip their vehicles up like that on purpose whilst I must baby my only source of transportation while in the woods.Off trail bajaing though is against regs because it destroys vegetation and animal life.Of course trucks would destroy more then quads and they more then cycles.It just appears there is not enough room in NJ to accomodate everyone and their respective joys and interests.We are loving the Barrens to death,some more quickly then others.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Well said Al!
I personally haven't gotten busted yet and I never wear a belt in the woods,what if a snake crosses the road?I have to be able to get out of the vehicle fast enough to assist him don't I?What is the maximum speed someone is going to be doing down a sand road anyway?10mph 15?I have done 35 or 40 down Batsto Godfreys road when it is well graded but most roads that would be suicidal.Then once again I am still trying to figure out what right the state has to regulate my behavior if it affects me only.It is one thing if I don't have enough sense to strap my kids in (which apparently my parents didn't) but when it is my own ass on the line it is really none of the states business.I think it has been said before on here but I'll say it again.The state needs to expend more effort on enforcing laws that make sense like no yakking or texting on the phone while driving (even though most of us do it) and less on paying people to think up more stupid laws we don't need like needing a permit to build a shed in your own yard???Well I guess that is smart on the states part.More money for them.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
While getting vastly irritated when I get almost stuck in a hole that was no problem the week before because some A hole decided to use it to play in even though it is in the middle of a well used road I have to admit that as far as I know that is not illegal,just inconsiderate as Ben stated........................

I'm neither Law Enforcement or a Lawyer, but I image that it could be argued that this is willful destruction of public/state property which is against the law.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
What ever happened to trail maintenance? My friends and I use to always carry a shovel and rake in our trucks when we were mountain biking every weekend to repair and do up-keep on the trails we were riding. Peoples attitudes change quickly when you grab them off their ride and strongly urge them to help maintain the trails they like to ride on. Insults helped motivate some riders. They respect what they are riding on afterwards. I wish the attitude of tread lightly would carry over to the group of offroaders who are ripping apart certain areas.

Reactions: Boyd

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'm neither Law Enforcement or a Lawyer, but I image that it could be argued that this is willful destruction of public/state property which is against the law.

Turn it around. The state was negligent in letting a hole get that big and now is responsible for damages done to a vehicle trying to drive down a public throughway.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I knew I had it tucked away somewhere. There doesn't seem to be much activity though.

http://www.njtlc.org/

The state was negligent in letting a hole get that big and now is responsible for damages done to a vehicle trying to drive down a public throughway.

That has been at the heart of the issue as far back as I can recall; defining and identifying the 'public throughway's in Wharton and other state owned properties. It seems like such a simple thing to do.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
One place you could start would be the NJDOT road maps: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/gis/map.shtm

These are what I used as a reference to county highway numbers for my nj 2012 map. It only shows a few of the major unpaved roads. Here's a section of Wharton, for example.

njdot.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Wow! That was awesome! The two opposite points of view of imkms and Ben. I have popped tires in potholes that should have been fixed by the state or county and never bothered to sue knowing it would cost more to do so then what I got in return and they would probably drag the case out till I was dead.I never thought of blaming the state for the condition of roads in Wharton.I wouldn't suggest it though.They would close them all down,cheaper and easier..
The question is who is purposely tearing the road up and who is just trying to navigate the road.You never know what your driving into till your in it unless you walk the hole first.You could always plead innocent of how bad the hole was and that you weren't Bajaing just trying to get to the other side,unless of course there is a party with monster trucks and winches.
Two sets of forest users rights clash with each others.When they tear up the roads it makes it harder for the rest of us to get around and even just getting around results in some damage unintentionally.No solid answers here yet but some real good discussion.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
What ever happened to trail maintenance? My friends and I use to always carry a shovel and rake in our trucks when we were mountain biking every weekend to repair and do up-keep on the trails we were riding. Peoples attitudes change quickly when you grab them off their ride and strongly urge them to help maintain the trails they like to ride on. Insults helped motivate some riders. They respect what they are riding on afterwards. I wish the attitude of tread lightly would carry over to the group of offroaders who are ripping apart certain areas.

If we could ever decide what is use and what is abuse and then catch the abusers this would be a could idea.Make them hit the Barrens in lets say,July and do community service fixing the very roads they tore up.
Perhaps even winches should be made illegal to posses in the state forest.Many lazy folks would not like the idea of having to come along those big trucks out of a nasty hole.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thinking about this, I remembered an old map of Belleplain State Forest that I picked up at the office there. Not sure if they still distribute this map, and I don't see it online. But it makes a clear distinction as to the intended use of the many trails in Belleplain. I also have old maps of Wharton, Lebanon, Bass River and others but I don't believe they specifically indicate which trails can be used by motorized vehicles.

Here's the legend from the old Belleplain map. You will find all these trails shown on my nj 2012 map, although I don't distinguish between motorized/hiking trails.

belleplain.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
One place you could start would be the NJDOT road maps: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/gis/map.shtm

Are these the ones you referenced?
New Jersey Roadway Network

The NJ Roadway Network file is the Official LRS for the New Jersey Department of Transportation. The file is a geodatabase that includes a linear referencing system that represents the public roadways in New Jersey. It was developed for use with ESRI’s geographic information systems applications and was structured to conform to the UNETRANS data model. The NJDOT data model reflects some of the key components of the UNETRANS model as outlined in the Transportation Data Models Analysis Report (pdf 2.5m).

The “NJ Roadway Network” is updated every calendar year. The database contains over 39,000 miles of roadway which includes Interstates, Toll routes, US routes, State routes, County routes, Local streets and Ramps.

For additional information on the “NJ Roadway Network”, refer to the metadata that is included with the file.

NJ Roadway Network (Personal Geodatabase, zip 71m)

NJ Roadway Network (Shapefile, zip 42.9m)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
To set the record straight, I only posted the link so everone could discuss it. I have no problems with them going through puddles in a road as long as they don't do it to tear it up and are trying to get down the road. We all have done that at one time or another I suspect. The question may be what were they doing?

In any event, there is much worse that could and does happen out there.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Are these the ones you referenced?

Actually I don't think I have looked at that specific file before - thanks, will check it out. May be the raw data used in the other maps. But the maps I was talking about are just .pdf files that anyone can open. There's a separate map for each county at the link I posted above. For example, this is Burlington: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/gis/maps/burlington.pdf

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I just saw the video and read the subsequent posts quickly. I would be more inclined to believe this is in the great swamp on an established road. However, I would have to revisit it to confirm. If this is the case I would have to agree that this is not illegal or even particularly damaging.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just saw the video and read the subsequent posts quickly. I would be more inclined to believe this is in the great swamp on an established road. However, I would have to revisit it to confirm. If this is the case I would have to agree that this is not illegal or even particularly damaging.

Your right about not damaging since it is an established road,just inconvenient and inconsiderate for those of us who don't have hip high tires and lift kits.