A Very Boring Thread That No One Will Read.

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
Some years ago, when I was taking a course with Dr. David Orr, Dr. Audrey Horning came to guest lecture for a day. For some time before that, I'd known I wanted to focus on Pine Barrens archaeology, and I'd known that I'd wanted to "reinvent" the popular cultural/historical view of the people who lived there -- the Pineys. I found that, with my then limited exposure to Pine Barrens historical sites, the archaeological picture did not fit with the expressed accounts which made Pineys out to be peripheral, disconnected, and uneducated. I also began developing a notion that folklore, such as the Jersey Devil, was being wrongly portrayed as a cultural product of mysticism and isolation, while I believed it to be more of resistance. But what did I know? No one seemed interested in my Marxist theories back then.

When Dr. Horning came to lecture, she spoke about her work in rural Appalachia. It may seem that there are not many similarities, but it was her lecture that forever changed the path of my archaeological career. She defined the same questions I'd been raising in my head about rural New Jersey archaeology, and gave me the beginnings of a framework for my research.

So, all that being said, if you are interested in the historical archaeology or in the history of Piney culture, you may well be interested in her book. As I said, it is not about New Jersey at all, but it is a striking example of how historical archaeology can change perceptions of culture on the whole.

"In the Shadow of Ragged Mountain: Historical Archaeology of Nicholson, Corbin, & Weakley Hollow" by Dr. Audrey Horning IS New Jersey archaeology to me.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ariadne said:
I found that, with my then limited exposure to Pine Barrens historical sites, the archaeological picture did not fit with the expressed accounts which made Pineys out to be peripheral, disconnected, and uneducated.

Are you particularly speaking of the disconnect between the common 20th century New Jersey inhabitant's perception of piney's and their roots versus the factual one; that people from piney stock actually made up the brave advance wave of hard-working, smart, and industrious immigrants who worked at iron and glass?

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
bobpbx said:
Are you particularly speaking of the disconnect between the common 20th century New Jersey inhabitant's perception of piney's and their roots versus the factual one; that people from piney stock actually made up the brave advance wave of hard-working, smart, and industrious immigrants who worked at iron and glass?

Precisely.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ariadne said:
I also began developing a notion that folklore, such as the Jersey Devil, was being wrongly portrayed as a cultural product of mysticism and isolation, while I believed it to be more of resistance.

See, I do believe that there was an air of isolation that "pineys" had.

First off, the Pine Barrens are/were very remote. Travel to New York or Philadelphia from the Pine Barrens took days. Even travel between the communities of the Pine Barrens took a long time. Essentially, the Pine Barrens were isloated from the rest of the world.

Secondly, more than a few Hessians and Refugees fled to the Pine Barrens. These were people who were not interested in dealing with the outside world. As these people lived and had families, I believe their desires for isolation remained.

You'll notice that a lot of industry was created by people who were not Pineys. These were the people who were interested in building large communities, industries, etc.

I think the Jersey Devil story was created to capatilize on the isolation of the Pineys. I'm just not quite sure if the story was created by Pine Barrens natives (who wanted to keep people out), or by outsiders who wanted to discredit people who lived in the area. My personal opinion is of the former.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Ariadne, I recall reading a seris of books many years ago that were centered on appalachian culture. I recall it being a real eye opener when I read it, but that would have when I was a teenager. It was called Foxfire. Does this ring a bell? for anyone?

Jeff

As I recall, the Foxfire series is up to volume 13 or 14. The series is a must for anyone wanting to understand folkways and the rise of rural technologies. The anecdotal style of presentation in these volumes make them a dream to read and you would be hard-pressed to gain the education that these books provide by some other means.

Jerseyman

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Jerseyman said:
As I recall, the Foxfire series is up to volume 13 or 14. The series is a must for anyone wanting to understand folkways and the rise of rural technologies. The anecdotal style of presentation in these volumes make them a dream to read and you would be hard-pressed to gain the education that these books provide by some other means.

Jerseyman

Spot on, Jerseyman!
I'm not at all sure, indeed, I doubt, that there be a better single source of information on frontier and early rural folkways and occupations. One or another of the volumes of this work is always on my bedside table ... as is one or another of the books by ...(and here I'm having one of those moments...) the fellow who wrote and illustrated with pen-and-ink sketches "A Reverence for Wood" and "Barns" and others of that ilk.

Dave

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
bruset said:
See, I do believe that there was an air of isolation that "pineys" had.

First off, the Pine Barrens are/were very remote. Travel to New York or Philadelphia from the Pine Barrens took days. Even travel between the communities of the Pine Barrens took a long time. Essentially, the Pine Barrens were isloated from the rest of the world.

Secondly, more than a few Hessians and Refugees fled to the Pine Barrens. These were people who were not interested in dealing with the outside world. As these people lived and had families, I believe their desires for isolation remained.

You'll notice that a lot of industry was created by people who were not Pineys. These were the people who were interested in building large communities, industries, etc.

I think the Jersey Devil story was created to capatilize on the isolation of the Pineys. I'm just not quite sure if the story was created by Pine Barrens natives (who wanted to keep people out), or by outsiders who wanted to discredit people who lived in the area. My personal opinion is of the former.

Ben,

I think, however, there is a distinct and definitive difference between physical isoloation, in the sense of being "rural," and cultural isolation. People in the Pine Barrens throughout the 18th-early 20th Centuries were both politically aware and active, they were active consumers of the burgeoning economy, etc.

A desire to remain "rural" does not constitute a desire to remain disconnected. Strong elements of political and social resistance, mirrored in such as the Jersey Devil, do not reflect a desire to separate from the growing industrialist/consumerist economies, but rather a reaction to an economic and cultural machine which was increasing at odds with former, more agrarian rural societies. Examples of such exist all over the country to this day -- think of Appalachia, post-steel Pennsylvania, etc... Or, in a similar but different vein, think of urban underclasses, and the development of purposefully exclusive "slang."

I think you would like Horning's book, as she sums it up much more eloquently than I can. :)

--Ariadne

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Jerseyman said:
Dave:

That would be one Eric Sloane--a fine author and artist who made it his calling to record folkways and technological methodologies from the past. I have his books in my library as well!

Jerseyman

Eric Sloane ! You betchum, Red Ryder; that be the guy! He also put out an exceptional book - also self-illustrated - on weather. It's a wonderful read for anyone with a bent to the out-of-doors. Sloane was a meteorologist by training.

Dave