Abandoned racetracks.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Interesting, always associated the atco track with the large dirt oval with ends almost touching the Old WH pike and Burnt mill.
Seeing the pic showing asphalt had me back googling maps, I never would have known that was there!

Zorkslayer

Aug 2, 2016
Barnegat
I know its a little outside the Pine Barrens, but does anyone know about the racetrack in East Brunswick, Middlesex County? It was on Racetrack Road (aptly named) and appears abandoned in the 1931, 1940, and 1947 aerials. There is a supermarket and housing there now, but no signs of the track except the name of the road. This would have been an early track if it was abandoned by 1931, so I wonder if it was a horse racing track.

Coordinates:
40.428597, -74.385762

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
I gave my auto/racing library to the International Motor Racing Research Center at Watkins Glen. Included was a book that listed all the auto racing tracks that have existed in each of the United States, with data on each including dates of operation. You might call the IMRRC, ask for Bill Green, (607-535-9044), their historian, use my name as we're OLD friends. Bill might have other information that will at least tell you if it was an auto or horse track. Another approach would be to go to the Township or County tax office, lookup the current deed info, and then go to the Clerk's office and track the deed/s back. There's the chance that, the track might have been privately owned, on someone's farm and the deed wouldn't reflect its use.

If you're ever down at Pitman, it's worth stopping by the Alcyon track, which is a public park now. On the walking path to the right side as you come in, they have old photographs posted.

alcyon16.jpg

alcyon15.jpg

alcyon17.jpg

alcyon18.jpg

And I think this is different than the link posted earlier (but if it isn't, forgive me):
"Alcyon Memories" - 3 Wides Picture Vault
http://www.3widespicturevault.com/front page stuff/Alcyon_Memories_.htm

They have another picture there and a bunch of memories that folks posted about the place.

My dumb blog post on it about the hiking trail if you need coordinates or an address or anything:
https://southjerseytrails.org/2016/03/14/alcyonpark/