Abandoned racetracks.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
I was recently told about 2 racetracks in South Jersey that have been abandoned for quite some time. I am a motorhead and actually worked down at Atco Raceway for 6 years, but I have never heard of these two tracks. One was in Mt Holly or near Mt Holly and was used in the 1950's the other was an oval track located in Atco. I feel stupid not knowing about another racetrack in Atco. Does anyone have any info on these tracks?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
By the track in Atco I think you mean the Speedway off the Old White Horse Pike in Waterford/Atco. It is very visible on Google maps, satellite, Topo, Etc.
You can still walk it out it is clear. I have a 3 sectional panoramic photo of the entrance in it's heyday. Very cool! very Fragile. I actually do not know how I would post it.
Hope that helps, if in fact we are speaking of the same track. Let me know if you want to know anymore that I can be of help with.

G.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
That must be it (the one in Atco). I can't believe I never knew it was there. Must have driven past it a hundred times. Pretty cool. Would be neat to see that pic, but I understand it is fragile.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Yes if you were down the Old Pike alot you would never know you've been by it. It looks nothing near it's entrance like it does in my Pic.
I will try to think of something but the sections are carefully placed in a glass frame and it is old. Passed down from an Uncle who thought I might like to have it before he passed away.

g.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
After doing a little research on the internet I discovered the race track in or around Mt Holly was either called Mt Holly Speedway or Arney's Mount Speedway. I think I found it on Google Earth. If you know where Arney's Mount is then you can probably find whats left of the track. Kind of interesting. It consisted of a small oval track with a drag strip. Wonder who owns it?

NJTaco

Oct 18, 2006
Galloway, NJ
Anybody else ever go to the Manahawkin Speedway? About 12 years ago friends and I walked it...couldn't get the car in. I believe it is under a shopping mall now. :jeffd:

It was off Doc Cramer Blvd., on the west side across from the trailer park.

My Mom's husband remembers going to the races there...

Check this link for more old tracks:http://www.njrn.com/njhistory.html

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
the track in Atco is called Amatol. If you put Amatol in the search for the forums you should get some of the old disscussions and photos we have of it. It has a very interesting history.

Jeff

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
the track in Atco is called Amatol. If you put Amatol in the search for the forums you should get some of the old disscussions and photos we have of it. It has a very interesting history.Jeff

Jeff....
The old Atco Speedway is absolutely not AMOTOL. Nowhere near.
That track is easily seen on TOPO as well. Look to the State police Barracks out of Hammonton off RT. 30, cross over 561 and you've got it. Amotol and it's history are actually fascinating and somewhat Pine Barrens related as you know. The community, the plant, the speedway, all predate the speedway in Waterford/Atco. Look South of Hendricks Ave off the Old White Horse Pike for that one. There was also a tap room and hotel associated with the one near me.

Sidenote, some many years ago I had my ATV all the way down there slinking back through Sweetwater. I actually rode (calmly) the Amotol track. Once you were on it and identified what was the track and what was not it was pretty cool.

Actually Jeff, I am sorry... On Topo, it say clear as day, AMOTOL racetrack, right behind the radio tower and the Police Barracks.
Also right by there is the Old Circus Drive-in Movie Theater.
g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Most of the Amotol track is in the Hammonton Creek West WMA and lies within Mullica Township. Main access is from Moss Mill Road.
Here is the link to the WMA map:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/wmamaps/hammonton_creek_west.pdf
I hunted it the first year it became a WMA.
The track in Atco track is still owned by Coia that owns the Country Farm Market at Hendricks and the Pike.
He staged a racer reunion on the track about 5 years ago.
I have parked on the track a few times for parties held by the Hawg Riding Fools MC club.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
The track in Atco is still owned by Coia that owns the Country Farm Market at Hendricks and the Pike.
He staged a racer reunion on the track about 5 years ago.
I have parked on the track a few times for parties held by the Hawg Riding Fools MC club.

Eddie & Angie Coia were/are close friends of my Uncle that passed & Aunt.
I had designs today on going to speak to them, with the picture (I don't even know if they knew my Uncle had it?) I just had too much going on to stop by. Still plan to.
The Fools Labor Day parties... Been to a couple of those myself.
'nough said.

G.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Trailhead,

Where did you get the toy photo of the Swamp Monster that is in your gallery? Nice!

normal_custom02.jpg

Guy

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
The race track in Mount Holly was where the Fairgrounds Plaza is now with the Acme. Very popular in its time just like the raceway in Trenton.

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
Hello all!

Oddly enough, if you ever get the chance, take a look at Google Maps or live.local.com for aerial imagery of the area between springfield township, burlington county, and say... Jackson, Ocean County. You will see a good number of oval race-track shaped landscapes. I only wonder what all of these are. They appear to be tracks of some sort, but are they running, horse, racing, etc... tracks?

Just some food for thought.

Scott W.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
All along Rte.537 from 206 in Springfield all the way to Jackson are numerous horse farms with training tracks.
These horse farms, I believe, were built as an offshoot of the major horse racing facilities at Freehold .
One of the biggest is the Helis Stock Farm just outside Juliustown.
Scott

Scott and Steve:

The Helis Stock Farm was once the Rancocas Stud Farm of Pierre Lorillard, a man who amassed a fortune from tobacco and other enterprises. He raised some of the nation's finest racehorses at this farm and spared no expense in outfitting the farm with comforts and conveniences. I believe Beck has some things to say about the farm in one or more of his books. As I recall, Lorillard also had a brick manufactory in Keyport, Monmouth County.

Best regards,
Jerseyman