Am I a Piney Now?

dennis2

Scout
Sep 22, 2020
Deptford, NJ
So you live far away then????
Not really. I’m in Deptford, so figure a little over an hour to get there. But I’m full time (33 months away from retirement!) at Penn, which has been a bit crazy because of the pandemic. And I have a side hustle, laser cutting models for the NY theater designers. That pretty much dried up from the pandemic as well, so I’m doing more engineering and architecture stuff now, which has eaten into my free time. Pretty active in Scouting as well. And then, of course, the honey-do list, which is kind of like the Hydra. The more heads I cut off, the more grow back!

Sounds like I’m complaining, but I’m not. Just have to carve out some time to get out there!!!

dennis2

Scout
Sep 22, 2020
Deptford, NJ
Now that is a small piece of property indeed,but large enough to put a camper on if you back it in right:)
Ha! So true! I prefer to think of it as “nominal”. Didn’t want the kids fighting over my vast real estate holdings when I die. But I do intend to set up a tent and camp on it. Hope there aren’t too many whippoorwills in that area.

• Haha
Reactions: manumuskin

dennis2

Scout
Sep 22, 2020
Deptford, NJ
That's what I'd expect, since this is the source data that was used for my maps and Onx probably used the same. The coordinates aren't really "more precise", I just didn't bother to round them off. Here in the Pines, six decimal places have a precision of about four inches. That is obviously much more precise than anything you're going to get from a GPS so the additional decimal places are really meaningless. AFAIK, all of Garmin's devices only show 5 decimal places.
Ah, I see. I read up on “state plane projections”, which was pretty interesting. I wasn’t aware of any of that information. I don’t feel any smarter having read the article, but I do feel like I’m a bit more informed.

I’m thinking I will be able to get close to these coordinates using the GPS I borrowed. That’s a good start!

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Ha! So true! I prefer to think of it as “nominal”. Didn’t want the kids fighting over my vast real estate holdings when I die. But I do intend to set up a tent and camp on it. Hope there aren’t too many whippoorwills in that area.
I have been kept up most of the night by the littler turds while stealth camping up on Chamberlin Branch

dennis2

Scout
Sep 22, 2020
Deptford, NJ
Pines2.jpg
Pines2.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The next time I am in that area I will roam around the area of your property and see if I can find anything. I suspect I won't but it is worth a try.

Reactions: manumuskin