An interesting prospect with likely pitfalls

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
That is the site of the old general store in Indian Mills, which was built in the 1860s. More recently, it was a pizza shop. In George D. Flemming's book on Shamong, there are two pictures of it (pages 36 and 37), one from 1908 and the other from the late 1950s. It would be a shame to see it razed.

The 1908 picture can be seen on the Indian Mills Historical Society's page on historical buildings:

Scroll down to "Here Are Some Vintage Photos From IMHS' Archive"

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It would probably take thousands just to raze it, but that's what it needs, and then set the new dwelling a bit off the intersection if possible.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I remember eating there when it was open, probably at least 15 years ago. They also served British food in addition to the pizza, if I remember correctly. Something of an odd combination. The couple that ran the place were very friendly people.

I drive by it often, but I guess I hadn't considered that it's in such bad shape that it would have to be torn down. That's a shame.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I remember eating there when it was open, probably at least 15 years ago. They also served British food in addition to the pizza, if I remember correctly. Something of an odd combination. The couple that ran the place were very friendly people.

I drive by it often, but I guess I hadn't considered that it's in such bad shape that it would have to be torn down. That's a shame.
Good thing you didn't have to relieve yourself. It says zero bathrooms. I wonder how they got around that.

RJG

Scout
Nov 19, 2023
Sea Isle City, NJ
Just think, seventy-five years ago a father living in that house said to one of his sons, “I noticed there’s a sapling tree growing right next to the house. Pull it up before it gets too big.”

“Sure thing, dad, I’ll pull it up tomorrow, right after school.“

Now they’re all gone and that tree is still there.

Reactions: NJPinesExplorer

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Wasn't me. I did stop by yesterday to snap a couple of pictures of its current state, though. In case someone immediately starts razing it.

A7509070.jpg

The former "Regency Room" around back.
A7509062.jpg

It definitely needs a lot of cleanup work, but at least from the outside, it doesn't look so bad as to require demolition. The second floor residence might be in worse shape. I think the restaurant was open as recently as 10 years ago. The whole place seems to be a hodgepodge of structures built at different times.

Looking at some old photos from when it was open made me sad. It is a shame that we are losing more and more unique little places like this. Sometimes you don't appreciate them as much as you should until they are gone.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Wasn't me. I did stop by yesterday to snap a couple of pictures of its current state, though. In case someone immediately starts razing it.

View attachment 22034

The former "Regency Room" around back.
View attachment 22035

It definitely needs a lot of cleanup work, but at least from the outside, it doesn't look so bad as to require demolition. The second floor residence might be in worse shape. I think the restaurant was open as recently as 10 years ago. The whole place seems to be a hodgepodge of structures built at different times.

Looking at some old photos from when it was open made me sad. It is a shame that we are losing more and more unique little places like this. Sometimes you don't appreciate them as much as you should until they are gone.
I’m sure it was open. 10 years ago. My best would be it closed around 2017 give or take a year. I come home that way and would drive by. I used to see the sign for Bangers and Mash. With my wife’s family being English we have them quite a bit and I always thought of trying them. They always seemed to close early like before 6:00 though so I never stopped. Then they permanently closed.
Also, I assume the small house next to it is also on the same property or included with the 2 acres.

Reactions: stiltzkin

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Also, I assume the small house next to it is also on the same property or included with the 2 acres.

It does look like it might share the same address, yes. I wonder what the story on this house is.

A7509059.jpg

It took me an extra second to realize that "Impizza" on the mailbox is just for Indian Mills Pizza, rather than someone's last name :)

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
Indian Chief, Atco Dragway, Shamong Diner, Red Lion Diner, now the site of the old Indian Mills general store...if only there were some way for local entities past their prime to avoid being wiped off the face of the earth. That wish becomes stronger and stronger every time I look in the mirror. :eek:

Reactions: stiltzkin and John

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
The best case scenario is that the person or people who buy this property have the funds to clean the place up and the talent to turn it into a successful business again.

It is a long shot, but it could be done. Buzby's has a similar story and sat empty for much longer periods in its history, before Marilyn bought the place. In the early 1990s I think that building may have been in even worse shape than this one is now. Following her passing, it has been brought back to life once again by new owners that also seem to have respect for the legacy of the place. I would love to see that sort of thing happen here.

Reactions: M1 Abrams

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The best case scenario is that the person or people who buy this property have the funds to clean the place up and the talent to turn it into a successful business again.

It is a long shot, but it could be done. Buzby's has a similar story and sat empty for much longer periods in its history, before Marilyn bought the place. In the early 1990s I think that building may have been in even worse shape than this one is now. Following her passing, it has been brought back to life once again by new owners that also seem to have respect for the legacy of the place. I would love to see that sort of thing happen here.
As to making it work, my first thought when I first drove by is; where would customers park? How many prospects said to their driver "ain't no place to park, I know of a place further up 206, not far from here".

Reactions: stiltzkin