Announcing the new NJPB Maps

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Sorry, it's just not going to be compatible with the iPhone. The mapserver needs to run in the background while using the app and that (apparently) is not possible on iOS. There could be other solutions in the future (like writing a custom app) but that gets complicated.

On Android, it would be pretty awkward to carry around a cable and card reader connected to your phone. However, the $100 rugged android phones I've been playing with are not bad, and they can be used as a server for an iPhone or Android phone with no card slot. For that matter, there are some really cheap (not rugged) Android phones that could be carried in your pocket used only as a server for an iPhone.

We are getting really far off-topic here though, this is a thread about NJPB Maps! See this thread for more about my offline maps. So far, only two people have even voted in the poll. One isn't interested at all and the other is only interested in a small, free version, LOL. :D

Reactions: 66C10

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Just a final thought... once I get the new software nearly finished (might be awhile), I'll probably give the original rugged phones to a few people for beta testing. If you're interested, we can discuss this when the time comes - you might get one on extended loan in exchange for providing feedback on how it works in the field.

We shall see.... :)

Reactions: 66C10

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just a heads up, with Boyd's help the NJ DEP's 2015 draft MAP is now available as a layer in NJPB Maps, so you can see what roads would have been closed had it gone through. (You can switch between the various topo/historical maps to compare.) When they have a new MAP I'll make that one available as well.
One must have to clear their cache because I don't see it.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That solved it. If anyone does not see it clear your cache.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you have a Mac and don't see the 2015 MAP in the list, just keep the page open and click on Option Command R. That will clear your cache.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Worked on the first try for me in Safari. But I constantly clear my cache while working on boydsmaps, so that's probably why. But this is the same issue with my own site updates not working. If you use NJPB maps all the time, your browser has no reason to expect anything to change. So it doesn't even bother to look at the actual site code, it just uses a version it saved as much as a week ago. And the new map was not part of that version.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
If you have a Mac and don't see the 2015 MAP in the list, just keep the page open and click on Option Command R. That will clear your cache.

I don't think that actually clears the cache - however it still might be all you need to do to fix this kind of problem. AFAIK, that is the re-load command, like clicking the little circular arrow next to the address at the top of the Safari window. That should re-load the webpage from the server but that often isn't enough with a pesky cache issue.

To clear the cache in Safari you need to go to the Preferences and click Advanced. At the bottom of that window, check the box that says Show Develop menu in menu bar. Now you will have a new menu called Develop with a long list of confusing commands! :dance: A little over halfway down, choose Empty Caches for a deep cleaning. That will not delete any of your data or passwords or anything. It will just get rid of all the stuff that Safari *thinks* it knows about sites you visit often. That will force it to load the newest version from the server.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That's very interesting Ben, never heard of that trick. And a little Googling suggests that it doesn't work on Safari. The suggestion I found was to press cmd-opt-E in Safari. That's the keyboard shortcut for "Empty Caches" in the Develop menu, as I posted above. Same article says shift-reload works in Chrome and Firefox on the Mac, but not on Windows.